• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Glassing has been worked and reworked. It will be in probably, but it's difficult. I seem to remember Lavo saying Stripped to the Core is actually really difficult to mod but don't quote me on that. Regardless, it's an idea I have a lot if support for but not as a tech, as a ship ability. There's no sense in glassing your own planets.
  • Metanator likes this

#22 Metanator

Metanator

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

True, but you'd think putting it as a ship ability would lead to spamming that class of ship and stripping worlds as soon as you see them.. Unless it was a Titan ability. That could be interesting.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#23 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:21 AM

Problem with spamming it is that it would bugger the Covenant advance, you basically do a Blitzkrieg and run into the same problem that you can't reinforce fast enough so the enemy eventually beats you because your fleet just gets worn down. It kind of balances itself. At least in theory.

#24 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

Slightly off topic, but in keeping with the planet types, is it possible to have a Covenant research where it turns an owned planet into a glassed planet? I was thinking along the lines of the Vasari planet strip. It would make an interesting scorched earth tactic.

There are a fair amount of threads about this, go look.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#25 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

Yea, off topic and not for this place. Glassing has been discussed, will be discussed more. We'd like to do it, but our current understanding of SoaSE leads us to believe there isn't a way to do it that we find acceptable, and we've asked the foremost experts on modding SoaSE about this very thing.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#26 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

I seem to remember Lavo saying Stripped to the Core is actually really difficult to mod but don't quote me on that.

Impossible as it is not ability based.

• Unikraken likes this

#27 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

I support the idea of implementing planet types' bonuses, but if you'll implement something Covenant-related, you must implement something Human-related too.

Maybe on Terran planets, Humans should have a major boost in population cap or in the economy, and maybe some penalties in Arctic and Desert planets. Penalties that could disappear with a later technology.

And maybe Forerunners should have a boost on Desert planets, given the fact that they like to build everything from scratch...well this is too soon.

Asteroids could give a bonus in ship production (production speed, cost, anything military related) to each faction, so that asteroids would be important as much as planets.

• SPECTRE and DemonicMudi like this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#28 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'm actually working on a whole new suite of planets and variations to those planets' sizes and buffs and corresponding research as we speak.

Here is a preliminary list for you:

Dwarf-Planet | Planet | Super-Planet

Tropical
Temperate
Barren
Methane
Frozen
Volcanic
Ferrous
Archipelago
Desert
Greenhouse
------------------
Shield World (one size)
Gas Giants (one size with varying moons)

• SternuS, SPECTRE, Metanator and 2 others like this

#29 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

I'm actually working on a whole new suite of planets and variations to those planets' sizes and buffs and corresponding research as we speak.

Here is a preliminary list for you:

Dwarf-Planet | Planet | Super-Planet

Tropical
Temperate
Barren
Methane
Frozen
Volcanic
Ferrous
Archipelago
Desert
Greenhouse
------------------
Shield World (one size)
Gas Giants (one size with varying moons)

Could we have more non-colonisable too?

Ice cloud (like oort) would be a good one. And ship graveyard.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#30 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Those already exist in the stock game. We'll be sure they show up in the mod as well.

#31 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

Can't think of a name, but how about poisonous atmosphere? Like Pandora from Avatar (not my inspiration but it's an illustration). Low population but otherwise the same as temperate in terms of asteroids etc. 

#32 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Eh, the current line up give us something like 40 planets or more that random maps have to choose from.

#33 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Sorry, I misread that as an open suggestions list. Looking back it was a shit suggestion anyway, don't mind me.

#34 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

I am open to suggestions, but I may resist some.

#35 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Coreless planet, lower population, little crystal or metal, but higher number of logistics and defence slots.

Carbon planets, higher crystal production and decent refinery rate (actually make the refinery worth having). Low population.

I love the idea of solar planets like earth, I know it was in the devs hands from as early as 2011.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#36 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Carbon planets, higher crystal production and decent refinery rate (actually make the refinery worth having). Low population.

Shouldn't Carbon planets boost Metal production?

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#37 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Earth is a carbon planet. I have no idea what a solar planet is. A coreless planet would collapse on itself.

#38 spartan3227mike

spartan3227mike

Crewman Apprentice

• Political Prisoner
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCASTLE BASE Reach

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

how bout a ship building world that specializes in capital and frigate factory production

for the UNSC

#39 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

Shouldn't Carbon planets boost Metal production?

Hence the refinery, the addition of carbon in certain metals can either make said metal stronger or weaker depending on what percentage.

No a carbon planet is where rather than a nice balanced ratio of oxygen to carbon it is carbon heavy, resulting in a the existence of giant latices such as graphite and diamond. Earth is (if i'm remembering correctly) a nice balance of Nitrogen, and oxygen (atmosphere) with a core of silica, alumina, lime, magnesia, iron, sodium, potassium, and water (crust). With carbon only really being found as a compound with something else rather than just pure carbon.

Also not a coreless planet per say, one with a very weak core, like lithium, would practically have no EM shielding.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#40 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

how bout a ship building world that specializes in capital and frigate factory production
for the UNSC

How about just make ferrous planets these? They seem to be abundant in building materials, or we can just change that from what they are currently since they're just a copy/paste of volcanic planets. Boring, really. Not to mention since the planet is, well, ferrous, and not really suitable for living, and as a result there would only be mining operations on the planet and a lot of orbital structures as a result. Also easily obtained titanium for ships. Maybe just -50% titanium cost?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users