• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hence the refinery, the addition of carbon in certain metals can either make said metal stronger or weaker depending on what percentage.

No a carbon planet is where rather than a nice balanced ratio of oxygen to carbon it is carbon heavy, resulting in a the existence of giant latices such as graphite and diamond. Earth is (if i'm remembering correctly) a nice balance of Nitrogen, and oxygen (atmosphere) with a core of silica, alumina, lime, magnesia, iron, sodium, potassium, and water (crust). With carbon only really being found as a compound with something else rather than just pure carbon.

Also not a coreless planet per say, one with a very weak core, like lithium, would practically have no EM shielding.

From what I understand almost everything is made up of some carbon..... so every planet is a carbon planet(?).

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#42 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

@Grunt, not quite. Carbon pretty common, especially on Earth but it isn't essential for planets. Just to illustrate, Mercury is mostly metals and a bit of silicon ( which happens to be similar to carbon) and Jupiter is mostly Hydrogen. Earth itself contains much less than 1% carbon. It's mostly iron and oxygen.

Life as we know it is based on carbon, but there's nothing I know of saying a planet itself must be carbon.

Also, in terms of Science SPECTRE's right. I believe there's some concept art of a star we discovered which, due to the way its life cycle happened, turned into almost pure carbon and became something like a trillion carat diamond. I would say google the concept art but in truth it's just a giant space diamond, I can't believe they paid someone to make it.

Also, there is already a planet bonus called dense and porous core which increase and decrease the size of the gravity well respectively. 

#43 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Off topic warning!

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#44 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

Instead of suggesting more planets be added to the list currently shown, why not suggest buffs and resources for the already listed planets or suggest which faction have the better research regarding their colonization.

Both (all) factions will be able to colonize the same planets, but some may benefit more than others. We've already talked about methane planets being very profitable for Covies to own and costly for humans, my initial plan being that the UNSC would have a negative credit rate to hold such a planet, with no research or upgrades that allow it to break even or go positive. Reasoning being that having an outpost on a planet with a hostile atmosphere would be expensive to run and nearly impossible to terraform...so they essentially spend cash to get resources.

The reason to acquire it though is the high level of crystal available at these locations (4 or so).

Relisting planets below to facilitate.

Three variations of each planet type. Not every planet type will definitely have these variations, but these are the potential ones:

• Dwarf-Planet (small)
  • Planet (medium)
  • Super-Planet (large)

(Dwarf-Methane, Super-Tropical, Temperate as examples of naming convention so you understand what I'm getting at here)

Planet types:

• Tropical
  • Temperate (Replacing Terran)
  • Barren
  • Methane
  • Frozen (Replacing Ice)
  • Volcanic (Replacing Lava)
  • Ferrous
  • Archipelago
  • Desert
  • Greenhouse

Planet types listed above an in addition to whatever planet types and anomalies exist in SoaSE Rebellion. If one is listed here that exists in the base game it is because it will be edited in some way.

• rovert881 likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#45 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Senghelios was a archipelago world right? As was eayn. So that should have covenant population bonus, whereas UNSC have a lower population, but earn the same amount if money (like a tourist resort).
Tropical (as in jungle?) more costly metal and crystal rates, lower population, but greater trade. (Both factions)
Barren should have a logistic bonus slots, but lower population.
Frozen should also bonus cov (grunts are used to the cold)
Volcanic should have a fe less population than it should at the moment, favor UNSC I seem to remember the first mkIV mjolnir were tested on a volcanic moon near chi ceti.
Ferrous should have a much more mars appearance.
Desert should benefit UNSC, Mars was a desert planet and perhaps kholo. ( so was ripa moramees planet too)
Greenhouse should benefit both UNSC using them like agriculture centres, and covenant using them to refuel ships. So they should both have really low population size.
  • DemonicMudi likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#46 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

Volcanic possible giving a ship construction boost for UNSC... maybe.

Oceanic (I think there is one) gives a boost to Covvie ship speeds or weapon damage/firing speed. Since they 'mine' and use hydrogen. Basically Oceanic planets are good defensive planets for Covvies.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#47 DemonicMudi

DemonicMudi

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

Senghelios was a archipelago world right? As was eayn. So that should have covenant population bonus, whereas UNSC have a lower population, but earn the same amount if money (like a tourist resort).
Tropical (as in jungle?) more costly metal and crystal rates, lower population, but greater trade. (Both factions)
Barren should have a logistic bonus slots, but lower population.
Frozen should also bonus cov (grunts are used to the cold)
Volcanic should have a fe less population than it should at the moment, favor UNSC I seem to remember the first mkIV mjolnir were tested on a volcanic moon near chi ceti.
Ferrous should have a much more mars appearance.
Desert should benefit UNSC, Mars was a desert planet and perhaps kholo. ( so was ripa moramees planet too)
Greenhouse should benefit both UNSC using them like agriculture centres, and covenant using them to refuel ships. So they should both have really low population size.

I like you're ideas, but it does seem as if the Covvies have a bit too many bonuses.

To counter this, I'm thinking that the UNSC would generally have a greater population rate than the Covenant, because - you know - "Humans reproduce like viruses". (Not taken into account that the unoggy have a huge reproduction rate! :P)

Either that, or that Tropical planets only give a boost to the UNSC.

Biggest problem here, I think, is the fact that the UNSC is a single race with pros and cons, while the Covenant is a combination of a lot of different aliens - each with their specific pros and cons! So it's hard to balance both factions ..

Also, since the game does not have anything about fuel and refueling of ships, I think that Greenhouse planets should give a population and trade boost, since it's great for agriculture.

• Unikraken likes this

#48 FlackAttack

FlackAttack

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

I think it's fair so long as there is something in the favour of the UNSC to balance it. I was wondering if there had been and discussion or thought put into the effects of Alien Artefacts and research on the Covenant and UNSC. The UNSC should, in my mind, have an advantage. Humans always had a greater understanding of the technology used on both sides of the conflict than the Covenant, who's entire civilisation was built on imitating and duplicating the technology of the forerunners. Their greatest advancements only came after finding and studying these artefacts.

• DemonicMudi likes this

#49 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

All Super-planets should have a boost for UNSC pop for two reasons: 1) We are good at colonizing and proliferating, 2) UNSC percentage of wins in land battles is higher than space ones, resulting in the Covenant glassing the planet: the vaster the surface is, the harder is for the Covenant to glass it entirely, leaving areas where some people can hide and wait for the storm to calm.

Also, what is the difference between a Barren and a Desert planet?

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#50 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

All Super-planets should have a boost for UNSC pop for two reasons: 1) We are good at colonizing and proliferating, 2) UNSC percentage of wins in land battles is higher than space ones, resulting in the Covenant glassing the planet: the vaster the surface is, the harder is for the Covenant to glass it entirely, leaving areas where some people can hide and wait for the storm to calm.

Also, what is the difference between a Barren and a Desert planet?

Barren is a planet devoid of an atmosphere and life, looking similar to our moon. It has a lot of surface area, but should be difficult to colonize. Desert planets have low water, but they have life and an atmosphere so they're considerably easier to live on.

I think that rather than giving the UNSC specific bonuses for planets like the Covenant may get, it may just be wiser to have it so that they're able to get higher populations on things like Barren and Asteroid worlds. Humanity spreads anywhere it'll fit and we'd already have much experience living in inhospitable places thanks to us colonizing our own solar system first. The Covenant didn't need to do this, they can just jump around anywhere and choose planets as they go. Whaddayathink?

• Moustachio86, SternuS and DemonicMudi like this

#51 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Barren is a planet devoid of an atmosphere and life, looking similar to our moon. It has a lot of surface area, but should be difficult to colonize. Desert planets have low water, but they have life and an atmosphere so they're considerably easier to live on.

I think that rather than giving the UNSC specific bonuses for planets like the Covenant may get, it may just be wiser to have it so that they're able to get higher populations on things like Barren and Asteroid worlds. Humanity spreads anywhere it'll fit and we'd already have much experience living in inhospitable places thanks to us colonizing our own solar system first. The Covenant didn't need to do this, they can just jump around anywhere and choose planets as they go. Whaddayathink?

Oh ok thanks for the explanation.

So UNSC should have some bonuses depending on how difficult is the planet to colonize? But then it should have a boost in population on every planet, except Tropical-Temperate-Archipelago-Greenhouse. (Or is a Greenhouse planet considered hard to live on?)

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#52 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

I agree. UNSC's buffs should be to spreading wide and far. Maybe a few research/industry buffs to simulate the edge we had there but mainly to do with expanding into otherwise hard-to-get locations. Possibly even things like dead asteroids, if they're kept in.

SternuS: Greenhouse planets are like Venus or Earth with mega global warming. I don't know if they offer much benefit at all, they're a bit of a dud addition in my opinion. Unless there's a covenant race with a particular affinity to blazing hot temperatures and thick, fuggy atmospheres then they're not going to be good for population.
  • SternuS likes this

#53 DemonicMudi

DemonicMudi

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Exactly what I meant when I wrote "Humans reproduce like Viruses".

I think it sounds like a great idea.

I must say though - I do also like this ...

I think it's fair so long as there is something in the favour of the UNSC to balance it. I was wondering if there had been and discussion or thought put into the effects of Alien Artefacts and research on the Covenant and UNSC. The UNSC should, in my mind, have an advantage. Humans always had a greater understanding of the technology used on both sides of the conflict than the Covenant, who's entire civilisation was built on imitating and duplicating the technology of the forerunners. Their greatest advancements only came after finding and studying these artefacts.

It's true that the UNSC are able to research and use technology a lot more efficiently and creatively than the Covenant - who have always been imitators.

So I think that the Covenant should get a greater bonus when discovering an artifact than the UNSC, because all of their technology is based on imitating artifacts.

In brief - UNSC should gain a bonus to research or technology - Covenant should gain bonus for artifacts! :)

• HTRK74JR likes this

#54 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Exactly what I meant when I wrote "Humans reproduce like Viruses".

I think it sounds like a great idea.

I must say though - I do also like this ...

It's true that the UNSC are able to research and use technology a lot more efficiently and creatively than the Covenant - who have always been imitators.

So I think that the Covenant should get a greater bonus when discovering an artifact than the UNSC, because all of their technology is based on imitating artifacts.

In brief - UNSC should gain a bonus to research or technology - Covenant should gain bonus for artifacts! :)

I agree, it should not be a massive bonus, but just finding an artifact, or capturing an artifact (i  cant remember if you can do that) it should have a slight increase, say 5% or so better than the UNSC

• DemonicMudi likes this
Spoiler

#55 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Not possible to do that. The SoaSE engine is very limited. Artifacts are as they are.

#56 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

Do you guys like the idea of creating multiple skins for certain planet types? For example, if I want to make a custom map based on our solar system, I want to be able to place both orange and blue gas giants.  Plus it would rock to have more variety in the continents of each planet type.

Ideas for buffs:

more logistic slots, more tactical slots, more pop upgrades, more infrastructure upgrades, trade bonuses, higher starting culture (if possible), faster ship production, and the reverse of all of these as the case may be.

I am a big fan of that artifact bonus idea, if it's possible.

#57 DemonicMudi

DemonicMudi

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Not possible to do that. The SoaSE engine is very limited. Artifacts are as they are.

Well .. Dammit!  <_<

That makes me a sad panda!

• FlackAttack likes this

#58 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Do you guys like the idea of creating multiple skins for certain planet types? For example, if I want to make a custom map based on our solar system, I want to be able to place both orange and blue gas giants.  Plus it would rock to have more variety in the continents of each planet type.

Thats what i meant by terran planets.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#59 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Spitballin time.

So the Hunters/Hurgok(?) live on a high G world correct? Though I'm not sure what kind of planet they came from I'm gonna assume it was something similiar to a Barren or Ferrous planet. Anyways I was thinking something along the lines of increased metal extraction, coupled with the already present extra metal asteroids would be a significant planet to hold for the Covenant player.

Possible downsides of UNSC colonization of this planet could be much lower population (compared to the Covenant population of the same planet), while keeping the extra metal income.

What about using the vanilla pirate base as a planet type? For the Covenant it could a Jackal pirate base, or mercenary base, that gives bonus credit income for the player, similar to what it does in vanilla but maybe buffed a bit more to make it significant.

Not exactly sure what the UNSC could get outta this planet without being redundant. Maybe more logistic slots? I dunno.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#60 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

Spitballin time.

So the Hunters/Hurgok(?) live on a high G world correct? Though I'm not sure what kind of planet they came from I'm gonna assume it was something similiar to a Barren or Ferrous planet. Anyways I was thinking something along the lines of increased metal extraction, coupled with the already present extra metal asteroids would be a significant planet to hold for the Covenant player.
Possible downsides of UNSC colonization of this planet could be much lower population (compared to the Covenant population of the same planet), while keeping the extra metal income.

What about using the vanilla pirate base as a planet type? For the Covenant it could a Jackal pirate base, or mercenary base, that gives bonus credit income for the player, similar to what it does in vanilla but maybe buffed a bit more to make it significant.
Not exactly sure what the UNSC could get outta this planet without being redundant. Maybe more logistic slots? I dunno.

No. The vanilla base looks extremely stupid and out of place, and wouldn't really even make sense. Possibly have a hollowed out asteroid (I think the rubble was this) as another type?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users