• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Ok everyone, we'd like some community feedback on this. We're changing some vanilla strings to be more "Lore friendly" so the immersion is better. Planetbonuses, artifacts, etc are the strings we want to change, and we'd love to hear your ideas on it. Mind you, we don't want to make new ones, just edit the old ones, no stat changes what so ever. So if you have an idea to change "Death World" into something flood related for example, feel free to post it here

No off-topic posts allowed, they'll be removed. And keep your suggestions reasonable please, i.e. we don't want precursor related material for obvious reasons.

• Unikraken, Aunt Gruntie, David0425 and 1 other like this

#2 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

What are the biggest areas where we need this done? Might be better to guide them a little. Right now the focus is very broad and may lead to little response.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#3 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

What are the biggest areas where we need this done? Might be better to guide them a little. Right now the focus is very broad and may lead to little response.

Mostly along the lines of planet bonuses and some Artifacts, most of them are just begging to be changed.

#4 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

http://sinsofasolare...#Planet_Bonuses

http://sinsofasolare.../wiki/Artifacts

• Cole Protocol likes this

#5 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

I have an upgraded version of the planet bonuses if you think I should post it (including DLC planet bonuses I mean)

Posted Image

#6 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

I have an upgraded version of the planet bonuses if you think I should post it (including DLC planet bonuses I mean)

Of course.

#7 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

https://www.dropbox....onuses_1.51.ods

Is a bit more complete

And how about calling a "Death world" "Glassed world"

The covenant left planets they've glassed alone and you could terraform them after it, but it wouldn't be the same

Posted Image

#8 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

Resilient Metalloids (15% hull repair rate increase) could be changed to something along the lines of "Original Forerunner Huragok Colonies."

• Hageshii01 and Cole Protocol like this
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#9 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Organic Planatery AI = Ancient forrunner AI (menadiact Bias or offensive bias maybe?)

Jump Drive =  Malfunctioning Presacuror Slipspace Engine

Weapons testing facility = decommsioned UNSC nuke stash or armory?

Phase Accelerator = Fucntioning Forrunner Slipspace drive?

Data Archive = Composer? since it did turn people into data and saved their memory

High Security Protocol = Forrunner Sentinels?

Penal colony = outer colonies (yes this would only make sense for UNSC but my minds blank on that)

um thats all i can think of right now

• Defender0, Cole Protocol and rovert881 like this
When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#10 rApt0rAWSMsawce

rApt0rAWSMsawce

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Perhaps Feudal Worlds can be Insurrectionist colonies/bases?

#11 Hageshii01

Hageshii01

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 125 posts
  • LocationOver in that Battlecruiser, and that one, and that one, and-

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

Um, I guess some spoilers are in these suggestions; specifically spoilers relating to the Forerunner Trilogy of books.

Planets:
The only suggestion I have here is that some sort of "dead" or "useless" world should be a "Glassed Planet" or "Glassed World."  If possible, the option for the UNSC to colonize Glassed Worlds (after a lot of research of course) would be both flavorful and unique to the faction.

Artifacts:
"Resilient Metaloids" -> "Huragok Population"
Resilient Metaloids increases hull repair rate, which is exactly what you'd expect a bunch of Engineers to be able to help to do.  Additionally, this works well for all factions since it represents finding a group of Huragok living in isolation on a planet, and then eventually being discovered by the faction and being put to work.  The Covies obviously used them, and then the UNSC gets some later on as well.

"Data Archive" -> "Ancilla Data Fragment"
Ancilla, being Forerunner AI, were extremely intelligent and fully sentient.  Finding even a fragment of an operating Ancilla would very easily boost that faction's ability to conduct research, or minimize cost for research, due to the Ancilla's experience and wisdom, and overall knowledge.

"Jump Drive Relic" -> "Slipspace Portal Generator"
Basically to play off of the Artifact in Voi.  It's difficult to truly decide where to put this in the artifacts; frankly the Forerunners had ground-based portal projectors (the Voi Artifact), space-based ones, etc.  I feel it would work best here, for star-to-star movement, since the portals that we have seen specifically are able to send ships to EXTREME distances in a VERY short time.  I mean; the Artifact sent ships beyond the galactic rim.  In less than a month (they left Nov 17, and arrived at the Ark Dec 11).

"Phase Accelerator" -> "Unbending Filament Remnant"
Somehow this survived the firing of the Halos.  No reason to get into specifics as to why.  The Precursor's technology which allowed them to connect worlds and systems across vast reaches of space.  This would be used for the "planet-to-planet" travel for that reason.

"Kinetic Intensifier" -> "Ballistic Hard Light"
We all know what hard light is.  Now imagine surrounding a plasma shot or missile with a sort of hard light sabot which increases the power of the weapon.

"Relativistic Factories" -> "Ancient Design Seed"
These were constructs of hard light used by the Forerunners to construct ships.  Imagine finding one or more still intact; it could vastly increase ship construction.

• Defender0, D4RKST0RM99 and SternuS like this

#12 FrostWyrmWraith

FrostWyrmWraith

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Jump Drive Relic/Phase Accelerator- Forerunnner Crystal, like the one found on Reach?

Dead Asteroid- Glassed World

Ship Graveyard- Forerunner Line Installation

Relativistic Factories- Sentinel Factory

Ion Field Generator- Unbending Filaments

Manifest Dominion- Forerunner Communications Relay

Matter Compressor- Slipspace Storage Devices

#13 Gravemind

Gravemind

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Steam:Swiggle sheep
  • LocationInstallation 04

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

since the forerunner are going to be a playable race (?) the names, and lore shouldn't be Base on forerunner tech. I have some planetary bonus suggestions

Plundered Booty = Crashed alien tech                                (Tax Income +3.5)

Weapons Test Facility = UNSC Weapon Testing Facility     (Population -20, Tactical Slots +8)

Penal Colony = Pre-war rebel outpost                                (Structure Build Cost -20%, Structure Build Rate -30%)

Entertainment Hub = Unauthorized radio beacon               (Culture Spread +10%, Tax Income +1.0)

Expert Crystal Miners = Rich Chrystal plutonium deposits  (Crystal Income +50%)

Expert metal Miners = Rich titanium deposits                     (Metal income +50%)

Spice Trade = Natural Narcotics                                         (Trading income+10%)

Kalanite Deposits = Natural Alloy                                        (Trade Income +20%)

• chiefship and Aunt Gruntie like this

"I? I am a monument to all your sins." -Gravemind

#14 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Well at least for now the planetary upgrade names are ambiguous enough to pass for me. "civilian infrastructure" doesnt sound very halo, but it would risk sounding forced if it were changed.

The things that i think need to be changed are mainly the research tree (which I know is underway), the names of planetary benifits and penatlies, and the names of artifiacts. Anything forerunner would be good enough for me. I wish I were more knowledgable on the forerunners. I'm sure there's things floating around in the lore that could be tied in nicely. "Planetary organic AI" could be changed to "Forerunner Agricultural stations" or "forerunner agricultural research" or something of the sort. It would have similar planet buffs, increasing population and planet health, etc. In fact, it may seem a little repetative, but I think that all of the artifacts should be some type of forerunner teachnology. It would match the story line nicely as well since all the major factions are kinda snatching up forerunner tech at this point in the story. And if i understand properly they'll be pretty imprtant in game too. So might as well tie in the artifact research as well.

As for the special planet buffs like "high security protocal" i think simply changing the name to "fortress world" or something would do fine.

Simple string changes with the occasional nod to halo lore will go a very long way in improving imerssion. Once all the original building models are gone I'll forget I'm even playing a mod haha.

#15 Gravemind

Gravemind

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:17 AM

Well at least

The things that i think need to be changed are mainly the research tree (which I know is underway), the names of planetary benifits and penatlies, and the names of artifiacts. Anything forerunner would be good enough for me. I wish I were more knowledgable on the forerunners. I'm sure there's things floating around in the lore that could be tied in nicely. "Planetary organic AI" could be changed to "Forerunner Agricultural stations" or "forerunner agricultural research" or something of the sort. It would have similar planet buffs, increasing population and planet health, etc. In fact, it may seem a little repetative, but I think that all of the artifacts should be some type of forerunner teachnology. It would match the story line nicely as well since all the major factions are kinda snatching up forerunner tech at this point in the story. And if i understand properly they'll be pretty imprtant in game too. So might as well tie in the artifact research as well.

It would be the easy way of naming things using forerunner names, But if the forerunners are going to be a playable race, why would they want/need to find artifacts of their own technology. Should they already have some/most of it their ships lore wise?

#16 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

It would be the easy way of naming things using forerunner names, But if the forerunners are going to be a playable race, why would they want/need to find artifacts of their own technology. Should they already have some/most of it their ships lore wise?

Well, if I understand correctly, they're forerunners that ran from our galaxy, and they come back and find old technology that they lost is possible

Posted Image

#17 Gravemind

Gravemind

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

Well, if I understand correctly, they're forerunners that ran from our galaxy, and they come back and find old technology that they lost is possible

depending on when this Forerunner Sub-faction left It could make sense, If they left before this technology was invented or wasn't on-board their ships when they left, Kinda like experimental technology or Things that were not designed for ships. Could fit nicely into the Lore of the halo universe

#18 The Flood

The Flood

I've had a lot of names.......

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Steam:The Flood
  • LocationA place you can't get to

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

I think that would fit nicely.

some people call me The Flood.......others call me Didact........

Most Call me Night Of Eternal Darkness.....You will never know which one.....

#19 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

change flood world and world's that are infected by the flood into 'infested worlds' If possible and never allow them the same stats as the planet used to have... or really bad debuffs for the worlds.

Also instead of AI ancilla have it be the Domian shard or something like that.

instead of Kinetic Intensifier have it be a recovered Maginot Sphere weapon.

Remember guys all Precursors tech and what not is gone due to 'reasons'

Maybe have something for the UNSC be named after the Mantle, due to humanity being labeled as the inheritors

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - UNSC play through

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z31qnK9A6Ns Part 1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=36Fxu7LQ-gE Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GvGB87lwebg Part 3

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWpYkrVkiuI Part 4

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - Covenant play through coming soon

#20 Gravemind

Gravemind

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:27 AM

Oh and will the Space ponies bonus  get changed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users