• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Infection Research: You Decide!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Do we get rid of Infection Research for the UNSC or Nerf it? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we get rid of Infection Research for the UNSC or Nerf it?

1. Keep it as is! I'm a sadist! (4 votes [6.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

2. Nerf it to a more sane level. (19 votes [30.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.65%

3. Voted Get rid of it completely! (21 votes [33.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.87%

4. Add a seperate faction (see below) (18 votes [29.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Maybe not a countdown but a approximation of the time it will take based off of the DoT suggestion, like having the flood ship take 10 seconds to overwhelm the ships defenses and have the Particle Effect say "Estimated time till forces overwhelmed: 10 Seconds" or something along those lines.
Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.™

#42 Conran

Conran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Don't think thats possible to code, even if it was, the variables of combat buffs and debuffs would make it highly inaccurate as a timer, even if it were merely a sound effect.

E.g. Ship X is currently negating 30% of damage and the DoT is applied, the timer would be off completely.

The nearest thing you could do would be one of two things;

Some kind of hull breach klaxon and even then it wouldn't fit as klaxons for the different factions would all be different.
Some kind of particle effect with the words hull breach detected pointing to the ship but as it would be applied by the flood, this again would not fit as per alternative factions (Human/Covenent/Forerunner languages namely) and it being applied by what is essentially a pirate faction would mean it would have to be a generic particle that fits all.

Particle wise, the most logical choice would be some kind of infection cloud I would assume, with some kind of generic warning symbol, perhaps a forerunner one as that *could* work for all factions technically to a degree. I say technically as most ships would have some form of AI and you could pass that symbol off as the AI's having some basic knowledge of forerunner symbology in whatever era SotP takes place. That way you can retain accuracy of canon and still make it a flashy warning things are about to turn into a bag of dicks once that thing drops to the DoT.

#43 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

One idea could be something similar to the Truce Amongst Rogues from SoSE:R. Rather than have them be allies, the research could either stop flood invasions by making the player who researched it immune, or cut the number of flood ships invading the player who researched it by a %. Playing hot potato with constant bidding of who gets invaded by flood is a drain on the economy and Truce amongst Rogues was huge in allowing the player to no longer be affect by that. Thoughts?

bDNWw7L.png

#44 cmatthews

cmatthews

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

i really like that idea Dianno, it would would also make sense with ONI. like they figured a way to push them away from there planets or something.

#45 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well it depends how they devs want it. I figured strategically it could be a good advantage of UNSC of covenant if they could reduce or eliminate the flood threat. Also with SGT Johnson having that immunity, it wouldnt be too much of a stretch to say they found a way to reduce it. But thats using a technology from Rebellion in entrenchment.

bDNWw7L.png

#46 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Do we really want to eliminate the terror of the Flood though? I think not.

#47 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Here's hoping they do actually bring it back at least once Covenant are introduced.
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#48 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Just a thought after watching the latest video you guys released. Why not make the research that Infection is based off of more like its TEC counterpart? "Insurrectionist Allies" like with Cole's wife who helped during his final battle with the UNSC, that sends the occasional task force of non-upgraded rogue Charon and Paris frigates, Mako corvettes, and maybe Thanatos Destroyers as well.

It's enough to drain your enemy's economy by making them put defenses up on every planet, but doesn't break the game.

Apologies if this has already been suggested though.
  • Defender0 and Centurian128 like this
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#49 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Just a thought after watching the latest video you guys released. Why not make the research that Infection is based off of more like its TEC counterpart? "Insurrectionist Allies" like with Cole's wife who helped during his final battle with the UNSC, that sends the occasional task force of non-upgraded rogue Charon and Paris frigates, Mako corvettes, and maybe Thanatos Destroyers as well.

It's enough to drain your enemy's economy by making them put defenses up on every planet, but doesn't break the game.

Apologies if this has already been suggested though.

i was actually about to suggest this idea if infection is permanently removed
  • Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users