• Create Account

Photo

So how are you guys going to handle the new canon ships?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 thephoenix

thephoenix

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

In case you guys haven't already heard, apparently Spartan Games is making a tabletop halo space battles game in partnership with 343 who have confirmed everything in the game to be canon. They already revealed two new ship classes (or one if I'm right about the ORS being the Reverence) and also voided the Orion battlecruisers class name.

Link to the article: https://www.halowayp...der-in-the-loop

The Epoch-class looks pretty interesting, and it's description references an 'Orion-class carrier', so I'm wondering what you guys are going to do with the Orion battlecruiser in the mod?

#2 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Epoch class is the Athens in game. Maybe it is up for a name change?

ORS is up for grabs, I guess.

Mod is non-canon so Orion will probably stay the same.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 thephoenix

thephoenix

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

I've actually got three theories I came up with after thinking this over, arranged from what I think is most credible to least credible:

1. The Epoch-class is the mid to late war replacement for the Athens-class, the source for the Athens is UNSC Atlas, seen in the Fall of Reach comic, but it's seen just before the Human-Covenant war starts while the Epoch-class is stated to have come around later, so I'm thinking the Epoch was made using experience fighting the Covenant to make a more battle-worthy carrier.

2. The ORS-class and the Reverence-class are the same ship, both are stated to be 3000 meters long, both are stated to have energy beam weapons, and both are supposed to be the 'big guns' compared to the smaller CCS-class

3. The articles Orion-class carrier is our own Eion-Class carrier, this is least credible as the only supporting evidence is that the Eion-class is the only other known UNSC carrier.

#4 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

I've actually got three theories I came up with after thinking this over, arranged from what I think is most credible to least credible:

1. The Epoch-class is the mid to late war replacement for the Athens-class, the source for the Athens is UNSC Atlas, seen in the Fall of Reach comic, but it's seen just before the Human-Covenant war starts while the Epoch-class is stated to have come around later, so I'm thinking the Epoch was made using experience fighting the Covenant to make a more battle-worthy carrier.

2. The ORS-class and the Reverence-class are the same ship, both are stated to be 3000 meters long, both are stated to have energy beam weapons, and both are supposed to be the 'big guns' compared to the smaller CCS-class

3. The articles Orion-class carrier is our own Eion-Class carrier, this is least credible as the only supporting evidence is that the Eion-class is the only other known UNSC carrier.

1. Could be looked into. But since they look so similar maybe just put an upgrade-type tech in for the Athens? I dunno. Another similar ship filling up the construction line doesn't sound good.

2. Up to dev team. I don't see any issue with them.

3. Eion is in either way so this is a non-issue. Maybe a name change but aside from that we're good.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:45 PM

The Epoch is a shitty Athens knockoff. The ORS is a shitty CCS/CAS kitbash. If we decide we need another Covie ship for the balance we'll probably fix the shitty parts of the ORS and use it. Ships take a long time to make. We're not going to mess with stuff we don't absolutely need.

• haseo yashimora likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#6 thephoenix

thephoenix

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

That's pretty much what I thought would happen with the Epoch, nice bit of lore, but a zero percent chance of getting into the mod (got plenty of carriers already), I do kinda like the ORS though. Also I wonder what else these guys might do to the canon now that they can.

#7 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Fuck it up with lazy ship designs.

• MrChipps, Bornstellaris, haseo yashimora and 4 others like this

#8 Emperorfluffball

Emperorfluffball

Crewman

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Eridani

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

okay who released the kraken? oh wait... 343? 

and i have to ask... but when the hell does the Covie's have a ships which is DESIGNED with "stealth" enhancements? all the cloaking fields on the Salvations that Vadam used where mostly huge active camo generators...

“Listen to me, Covenant. I am Vice Admiral  Preston J. Cole commanding the human flagship, Everest You claim to be the holy and glorious inheritors of the universe? I spit on your so-called holiness. You dare judge us unfit? After I have personally sent more than three hundred of your vainglorious ships to hell? After kicking your collective butts off Harvest - not once - but twice? From where I sit, we are the worthy inheritors. You think otherwise, you can come and try to prove me wrong. Is that the best you can do? Watch what one unworthy human can do!”

"How do we go?" "WE GO FEET FIRST!"

#9 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:46 AM

No one releases him. That would mean someone is stronger than he.

• Mrripley9 and Jacob_2195 like this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#10 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:40 AM

Eh.

HeheheheheHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:

"We can’t wait to work with Spartan Games on the [REDACTED] and the absolutely massive (even at this game’s scale) Long Night of Solace!

- 343 Industries Franchise Team"

clash-of-the-titans-kraken.jpg

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#11 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:54 AM

Eh.

HeheheheheHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:

"We can’t wait to work with Spartan Games on the [REDACTED] and the absolutely massive (even at this game’s scale) Long Night of Solace!

- 343 Industries Franchise Team"

So I'm not going crazy right? They really wanna do the plot device?

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#12 thephoenix

thephoenix

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

Apparently so, I rapidly lost respect for them as they mentioned the damn thing over and over, or by just looking at the Epoch-class the thing looks like the bastard offspring of a Phoenix-class and a brick wall. I actually kinda like the ORS-class's design even if the whole 'stealth enhancements' thing is BS, this is the Covenant Navy we're talking about, stealth and subtlety are practically foreign concepts to them normally.

• Unikraken, Fleet Admiral agigabyte and David0425 like this

#13 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

The ORS would be much better if they hadn't full-on copied the CCS's ass end.

#14 TheHippie

TheHippie

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

Oh boy time for opinions 

The ORS looks pretty damn good. The general design of the rear-end is actually fairly different than the CCS's if you take a good look at it, and the front end looks like it had/has lots of potential. It does however look a tad over-designed in a few places. Some aspects are blockier and sharper than they should be, and don't really fit with the Covenant's generally smooth and elegant designs. 

The Epoch however is just based on the same carrier that the Athens-class in the mod is based off of and honestly I prefer the Athens far more. The Epoch seems way too "Stubby" and I have absolutely no idea what that weird fucking handle thing on the underside of it is supposed to be for.

#15 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

The ORS and CCS models they're using have identical asses save for some slight greebling. The overall shape is the same, they just changed some of the greeble pattern.

#16 TheHippie

TheHippie

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

The ORS and CCS models they're using have identical asses save for some slight greebling. The overall shape is the same, they just changed some of the greeble pattern.

Yeah, poor choice in vocabulary, I had to change that. The overall shape is damn-near identical, except for that odd half-ring at the front. it just has quite a bit of small detail changes.

Their excuse of “The ORS-class Heavy Cruiser was intended to be the big brother to the CCS-class Battlecruiser, whilst simultaneously paying homage to the massive yet elegant CAS-class Assault Carrier."  makes sense I guess, and I like that the ORS looks like it could pull off the same modular dispersal as the CAS, but yeah it feels a bit lazy.

I like it in the long run though, it's at least a welcome change from the CRS and Plot Device "Design" theme.

#17 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

I'd like it with some small changes. Really getting tired of the laziness of 343 and Bungie about their ships. They say they want to be the next Star Wars, but they don't take the universe seriously enough for that.

• Sev likes this

#18 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

I'd like it with some small changes. Really getting tired of the laziness of 343 and Bungie about their ships. They say they want to be the next Star Wars, but they don't take the universe seriously enough for that.

...if you think some Star Wars designs aren't lazy you need to explore the universe a bit more.
  • Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this

Spoiler

Spoiler

#19 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

...if you think some Star Wars designs aren't lazy you need to explore the universe a bit more.

That's not what I meant.

#20 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

and I like that the ORS looks like it could pull off the same modular dispersal as the CAS

I never liked the idea of the modular dispersal thing on Covenant Ships. It just doesn't make sense if you think at it because:

1) The Covenant never flees the battles, it fights until the very end;

2) It is functional only if the vessel is boarded, but if you think at it, very rarely the Covenant has seen its ships getting boarded by UNSC personnel;

3) What's the sense of halving the ship for a board action? Given that only big capital ships have it (and it's not actually canon I think?), if they get boarded they will surely have enough forces to push off the asault; and if they don't, what are the odds that before halving the ship (which is something I would personally think at as a last resort action) not even one enemy got in the modualr-dispersing section? And, even if one enemy gets in the other section, why would you separate it? It's just one enemy. What's the limit of enemy forces that has to be broken-through for the ship to be deemed useless and therefore be halved?

And what if the invading force has opened a breach in the section that would be detached? The whole thing would be useless, or even worse, the enemy would use it to get at least half a capital ship.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users