#1 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

When the ships go into SlipSpace they 'open' a 'rift' into slip space and fly into it. When they enter do the ships fly faster or are they flying at regular speed but in condensed space? I know the book says velocity and mass and all that doesn't really apply in SlipSpace.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#2 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

From what I understand, it's most accurate to say that they're flying in condensed space. Their velocity would be greater as a consequence.

#3 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

Relative to the ship there is no change in velocity, but in real space, yeah they are obviously going a lot faster. Otherwise, the enormous change in velocity would result in some serious Gs that would kill the crew.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

So, for those minecraft uses, it is like traveling through the nether. 1 block equals like 8 in the normal world. So traveling 1 meter = 8 meters in normal space.

The ships aren't moving any faster relative to Slipspace but in normal space terms they are traveling much further in a shorter distance.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#5 ErrorlessErik

ErrorlessErik

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIf I was up your ass you'd know where I was

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

So, for those minecraft uses, it is like traveling through the nether. 1 block equals like 8 in the normal world. So traveling 1 meter = 8 meters in normal space.

The ships aren't moving any faster relative to Slipspace but in normal space terms they are traveling much further in a shorter distance.

Pretty much

#6 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

From what i understand about physics, entering slipspace is the same as going from point A to point B, but by going through point C (slipspace) the distance is drastically reduced

I know there is a term for this but it slips my mind currently

#7 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

From what i understand about physics, entering slipspace is the same as going from point A to point B, but by going through point C (slipspace) the distance is drastically reduced

It's most similar to the concept of an Einstein-Rosen Bridge or wormhole, but they describe slipspace as some other dimension or universe with different physical laws, whereas a wormhole is merely a distortion of spacetime.
  • Unikraken, Despoiler25, Dianno5741 and 1 other like this

#8 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yep. Slipspace is its own dimension tangentially related to our own. Slipspace is heavily folded in on itself, so it's not exactly like the Nether. It's probably just as large as normal space, but the folding allows one to cross greater distances, like an ant crawling across a flat sheet or a very ruffled one.
  • Emberblaque likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#9 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

folding allows one to cross greater distances

this concept is exactly what i was trying to remember when i posted

#10 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

this concept is exactly what i was trying to remember when i posted

In terms, slipspace is the same as warp from Star Trek.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 Wolf186

Wolf186

GRRRRRR! RUFF!!

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

In terms, slipspace is the same as warp from Star Trek.

Yeah, but warp doesn't make that loud of a noise, plus a not so obvious of an exit and transition into real space.

#12 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, but warp doesn't make that loud of a noise, plus a not so obvious of an exit and transition into real space.

We're talking about mechanics here, what something sounds like is irrelevant to the discussion.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

We're talking about mechanics here, what something sounds like is irrelevant to the discussion.

...in space, no one can hear you warp

#14 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

...in space, no one can hear you warp

Ripley Scott was wrong, there is sound in space and you would be able to hear a ship's engines or it going through slipspace through the vibrations in the hull. But I digress. Swerve.
  • Unikraken and PrestonCole like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

Are you looking for "tesseract"?
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#16 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Are you looking for "tesseract"?

no, it was like a folding in space...im going to look it up later, im really curious now

#17 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Ripley Scott was wrong, there is sound in space and you would be able to hear a ship's engines or it going through slipspace through the vibrations in the hull. But I digress. Swerve.

For those who aren't knowledgeable when it comes to physics, this could be misleading. Sound is composed of what are called mechanical waves, waves that require a medium through which to travel. If there's no medium, there's no sound. If you're sitting in a vacuum, flick yourself in the head and you'll still hear it, if something explodes a mile away and nothing collides with you, you'll hear nothing. The point is if it can stimulate your auditory nerve, it can make you hear. I think what Zero means to say in a nutshell is that space is not a magical place where sound simply doesn't exist.

no, it was like a folding in space...im going to look it up later, im really curious now

There's no word for it, this is just the same useful analogy everyone uses to describe propulsion methods that use spacetime distortion. Call it old guy with a piece of paper.

#18 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

There's no word for it, this is just the same useful analogy everyone uses to describe propulsion methods that use spacetime distortion. Call it old guy with a piece of paper.

Im not saying you're wrong, but i once watched a show about the bermuda triangle, and something happened where essentially this guy flew a plane in one end, traveled through 2 hours worth of space in 10 minutes, and came out (according to the show), and that it was only explainable with the application of a "fold" in space. I swear they used SOME term to describe this fold, and this is what im trying to remember.

#19 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Im not saying you're wrong, but i once watched a show about the bermuda triangle, and something happened where essentially this guy flew a plane in one end, traveled through 2 hours worth of space in 10 minutes, and came out (according to the show), and that it was only explainable with the application of a "fold" in space. I swear they used SOME term to describe this fold, and this is what im trying to remember.

I recall that anecdote from several different television shows on the History Channel, Science Channel, and other channels of that nature. They would usually say something along the lines of, "His description matches what scientists call a wormhole." I'd say that's as close as you'll get.

#20 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I recall that anecdote from several different television shows on the History Channel, Science Channel, and other channels of that nature. They would usually say something along the lines of, "His description matches what scientists call a wormhole." I'd say that's as close as you'll get.

ok, yeah, its been a while so i dont remember what exactly they said, thanks for reminding me lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users