80 replies to this topic

#21 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

run your finger along a sheet of paper. now fold it up a few times loosley, then run your finger across it again. that is essentially what SS is, but with infinite amount of points to travel along. During the Human-Covenant war, Humanity ripped holes in this space, hence them appearing thousands of kilometers from their destination. The covenant can see these "lines" and travel along them as a bolt on a piece of string would., pinpoint slipspace.
Spoiler

#22 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

"History Channel, Science Channel, and other channels of that nature."

RRRIIIGGHHHTTT. Cause those shows, meant for entertainment, are always 100% in with the scientifical no how. Haven't you seen 'A History Channel Thanksgiving'
from Southpark. They just lie because it is all for entertainment. Never listen to white hair asian guy, who is an expert on everything according to the aforementioned channels.

That is all.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#23 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

RRRIIIGGHHHTTT. Cause those shows, meant for entertainment, are always 100% in with the scientifical no how. Haven't you seen 'A History Channel Thanksgiving'
from Southpark. They just lie because it is all for entertainment. Never listen to white hair asian guy, who is an expert on everything according to the aforementioned channels.

That is all.

I was specifically hoping that listing those channels would stir some skepticism within you.
  • Defender0 likes this

#24 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

You know me to well.
Spoiler

#25 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

You know me to well.

You plural. English unfortunately has no formal distinction between the singular and plural second person.

#26 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

KhevaKins sometimes talks like this also
Spoiler

#27 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

I don't particularly watch History or Science all that often just because of all the "What-if" shows they have on there. Their 'Universe' special was alright, but it was the same stuff repeated for 6 hours. :\

What History channel gets right is UFO hunters, though. That's some real interesting shit.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#28 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

RRIIGGHHTTT. Interesting/ bull shit, all the same stuff.
Spoiler

#29 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

Posted Image
  • PrestonCole likes this

#30 Kommrad II

Kommrad II

Ask me about those ship icons.

• Banned
  • 223 posts
  • LocationNEV-AH-DUH

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

I liked the Hitler channel better, it's what got me into history when I was a youngin'.
  • ErrorlessErik likes this

"Groovy."

Ask me about those ships icons I owe Unikraken.

#31 ErrorlessErik

ErrorlessErik

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIf I was up your ass you'd know where I was

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

I liked the Hitler channel better, it's what got me into history when I was a youngin'.

Same here

#32 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

From what i understand about physics, entering slipspace is the same as going from point A to point B, but by going through point C (slipspace) the distance is drastically reduced

I know there is a term for this but it slips my mind currently

Do you mean the sheet of paper example?
You take two diagonall opposite corners of a sheet of paper, mark them A and B, on the paper they are the greatest distances between two points, their distance relative to each other can never change BUT- fold the paper back onto itself and have the two diagonal corners meet so the distance on paper hasent changed but at the same time the distance between A abd B is 0, this example is used to explain wormholes and FTL travel involving folding space.

It may also be worth noting the differance between UNSC and Covenant slipdrives, the Covenant's used very little power and very delicatley form the slipspace rupture whereas the UNSC equivelant uses massive amounts of power and sheer brute force.

#33 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

I find pictures to be a better way of explaining things.

Posted Image

The grid represents Space in it's normal form. What warp drives does is scrunch up that space in front of you. Say each square is 1 light year. You still cross over that 1 square but do you can say do like 3 in the space of 1.

Now think this but a 100 times over or so.
Idk about slipspace but it seems it just seems to do the same but does it in its own seperate world.

Almost similar to Star Wars Hyperspace Drives where you go into a seperate "bubble" that takes you into FTL speeds.

#34 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

Almost similar to Star Wars Hyperspace Drives where you go into a seperate "bubble" that takes you into FTL speeds.

except star wars hyperdrives are exponentially faster :P

#35 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

except star wars hyperdrives are exponentially faster :P

Yeah Slipspace seems really slow considering you have to go into cyro to go anywhere long distance.

Star Trek you can at least get to pretty much any destination within a maximum time of a month usually much less. Ofc the Delta Quadrant is the exception.
I suppose even faster in ST since Warp 10 is essentially "infinite" speed allowing that whole time travel deal and stuff. Federation has a ship that can go Warp 9.99 regularly.

Star Wars is dash across a galaxy within a matter of days.

#36 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Star Wars is dash across a galaxy within a matter of days.

hours, not days

picture 30,000 light years per day, for the average hyperdrive, with many going even faster than that

#37 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Asgard hyperdrives in stargate could fly 3 million light years in under half and hour, other then this the Star Wars universe would have second most powerful hyperdrives

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#38 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Well we all know Stargate was the Mary Sue of all Sci-fi shows on at the time. The first season is really the only season worth watching IMO.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#39 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Atlantis was the best in my opinion but they were all good watchs, providing a good sci fi experience
  • MrChipps and D4RKST0RM99 like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#40 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

All of these analogies are actually pretty wrong. The Nether was the best example here actually. You're not going from point A to B by bending space. You're not traveling along warp bubbles. You are literally tearing a hole into another sub-universe, traveling through it's warped/folded space, and then tearing another hole back into our own.

It's like there are two pieces of grid paper, one is flat and another underneath it is all bent up, but both sheets grids still represent the same points in space. You drop down onto the bent up paper, take your short trip, then pop back up on the corresponding point on the flat grid paper.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users