73 replies to this topic

#41 Normon

Normon

High Commander of the Fleet of Unholy Fire

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts
  • LocationThe cartographer.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Currently, the flood are no where near as scary as they are in Halo CEs level 343 Guilty Spark. Anyone ever play that level as a 10 year old?

I played that back when I was...god...I was like 4 when I started playing Halo...
  • Defender0 likes this
Signature? Quotes? Images? Nonsense! Actually, cool quotes are cool. - Me
Primus successus aut totus error. - EOD

#42 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Time to name and shame.

You were only 12 when you first got added to the dev team, eh Norm?

#43 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Currently, the flood are no where near as scary as they are in Halo CEs level 343 Guilty Spark. Anyone ever play that level as a 10 year old?

6 years old. It scared the shit out of me. The moment when you see a shadow on a broken log? When that shadow looked at you and then run away? I had to stop the game and run to bathroom because i literally pissed myself.

But back on topic, i agree with Moustachio. They should have a colonize ability, which makes the planet almost un-colonizable, like it gets a lot of health and before you can nuke it completely you have to wait a lot of time.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#44 Normon

Normon

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

Time to name and shame.

You were only 12 when you first got added to the dev team, eh Norm?

Um, no. I was 14 when I became a playtester, and had just turned 15 when I was added to the dev team.

#45 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

12 when you saw this mod right?

#46 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

Jesus we are doing ages?
Arrr... um... my age first playing Halo CE would have been like 11 or 12. I got it for xmas with my xbox. Blew my mind.
First time I heard about the mod I was like 21 or 22.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#47 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I feel that if the flood are given a colonize ability that it should render that planet uninhabitable but also destroy the flood ship that colonized it in the first place, if possible. I see their form of 'colonization' as what they did in Halo 3. They crash a flood infected ship filled with spores into that planet, and then they expand outward killing off/taking over the inhabitants. Seeing as their actions in Halo 3 were ones of desperation to try and save their race from extinction.

I also feel that planets they capture/colonize/convert, whatever you wish to call it, should act as culture centers, again, if possible. Since Flood are usually controlled by a hivemind of some sort, that makes them organized and skilled. I'd see it as a hivemind being on that planet they took over, expanding it's influence outward to nearby flood. So any flood ships within the influence of a hivemind (aka flood culture) would get buffs making them stronger, and if the flood culture begins to lower your planet's allegiance then it would spawn flood ships, same as how the rebel ships spawn from the same condition in vanilla. This molds the Flood into something that could become an unstoppable force, if you're too clumsy or not equipped properly to prevent them from doing so (and this is canonically accurate, as even the Forerunners couldn't defeat them through out years of war). So if your not careful, then they become that fear factor you're looking for.
Don't read this signature.

#48 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I feel that if the flood are given a colonize ability that it should render that planet uninhabitable, if possible, but it should also destroy the flood ship that colonized it in the first place. I see their form of 'colonization' as what they did in Halo 3. They crash a flood infected ship filled with spores into that planet, and then they expand outward killing off/taking over the inhabitants. Seeing as their actions in Halo 3 were ones of desperation to try and save their race from extinction.

I also feel that planets they capture/colonize/convert, whatever you wish to call it, should act as culture centers, again, if possible. Since Flood are usually controlled by a hivemind of some sort, that makes them organized and skilled. I'd see it as a hivemind being on that planet they took over, expanding it's influence outward to nearby flood. So any flood ships within the influence of a hivemind (aka flood culture) would get buffs making them stronger, and if the flood culture begins to lower your planet's allegiance then it would spawn flood ships, same as how the rebel ships spawn from the same condition in vanilla. This molds the Flood into something that could become an unstoppable force, if you're too clumsy or not equipped properly to prevent them from doing so (and this is canonically accurate, as even the Forerunners couldn't defeat them through out years of war). So if your not careful, then they become that fear factor you're looking for.

my god...

ok, i got scared reading that...

...SOMEONE PUT THIS IN GAME PLEASE
  • JasonAHawkins likes this

#49 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

I feel that if the flood are given a colonize ability that it should render that planet uninhabitable, if possible, but it should also destroy the flood ship that colonized it in the first place.

I'm not sure about anything else, but FYI we tried to make the Phoenix destroy itself upon colonizing, and were unable to implement it.

#50 Normon

Normon

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

12 when you saw this mod right?

12 or 13, though I was 14 when I first became active on the forums.

#51 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'm not sure about anything else, but FYI we tried to make the Phoenix destroy itself upon colonizing, and were unable to implement it.

That's why I added "if possible" but I see now that I should have placed it in a different location so that it covered the entire sentence.

#52 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Dhoul, I think that may have to wait till rebellion. IIRC they did a LOT of tweaks to make pirates more like a faction, we could probably give them much more of an AI and force them to build culture... for now I don't think that's possible...
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#53 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Dhoul, I think that may have to wait till rebellion. IIRC they did a LOT of tweaks to make pirates more like a faction, we could probably give them much more of an AI and force them to build culture... for now I don't think that's possible...

I think I remember the mod Maelstorm overhauling the pirates to be more like a faction and utilize colony ships to actually colonize, as well as build structures/defenses on those planets. And they did it in Entrenchment I'm pretty sure. So I think it's possible for us to do now, but I have absolutely no idea how hard it would be to do or how to do it.

#54 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

maelstrom basically gave the pirates the Akkan battlecruiser with the colonize ability, so giving a flood ship colonize is very simple to do since its an ability

#55 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

maelstrom basically gave the pirates the Akkan battlecruiser with the colonize ability, so giving a flood ship colonize is very simple to do since its an ability

That's what I intially thought would be the solution, but sloose made me think that the pirates in entrenchment weren't able to utilize that ability. Again, I'm not sure about the coding and stuff involved in sins, but I have a general idea and at least know my way around some things.

Edit: Now I see that he was talking about culture, which makes more sense now. I need to go to bed, that's what I think.
  • Unikraken likes this

#56 Defkab

Defkab

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Just so we know, the first time the Flood showed up on my front door, I fended them off with 20 basic Frigates. I lost my asteroid, but that was about it.
I agree, they are not scary.

#57 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Just so we know, the first time the Flood showed up on my front door, I fended them off with 20 basic Frigates. I lost my asteroid, but that was about it.
I agree, they are not scary.

Exactly! Currently Flood ships don't devestate their opponents enough in ship to ship combat and if they take out someone's planet, then it is easy just to go back and recapture. But if you lost something to the Flood, you wouldn't and shouldn't be able to recapture it. The infection ability is good the way it is, but the Flood bombardment doesn't follow this same priciple. So if it is at all possible I would like to see the implementation of the Flood rendering planets permanently inhospitable/uncolonizable, even if it is just to see how it would interact with the gameplay.
  • JasonAHawkins and Defender0 like this

#58 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Exactly! Currently Flood ships don't devestate their opponents enough in ship to ship combat and if they take out someone's planet, then it is easy just to go back and recapture. But if you lost something to the Flood, you wouldn't and shouldn't be able to recapture it. The infection ability is good the way it is, but the Flood bombardment doesn't follow this same priciple. So if it is at all possible I would like to see the implementation of the Flood rendering planets permanently inhospitable/uncolonizable, even if it is just to see how it would interact with the gameplay.

Also, maybe we could implement a research item that allows these "flood worlds" to be colonizable, similar to ice and volcanic worlds

#59 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Also, maybe we could implement a research item that allows these "flood worlds" to be colonizable, similar to ice and volcanic worlds

Someone would have to explain the logistics of how it would work. Seeing as the Flood would most likely kill any inhabitants. But it's a possibility, yeah.

#60 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

im not sure if its even possible to change a planet type in entrenchment also, so this idea of mine might be completely moot. If not, i have a second idea, but i want to know if im stopped by hardcoding first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users