#61 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

im not sure if its even possible to change a planet type in entrenchment also, so this idea of mine might be completely moot. If not, i have a second idea, but i want to know if im stopped by hardcoding first.

Not in entrenchment, no... unfortunately.
It's questionable even in Rebellion, but there's a different way that could work in Diplomacy, maybe in Entrenchment even... you can have a buff counter a specific buff IIRC
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#62 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

you can have a buff counter a specific buff IIRC

...INTRODUCING IDEA NUMBER 2!!!

Ok, heres what it is, let the flood be able to colonize a planet, and then, after one of your fleets bombards it, give it a buff that prevents the planet from being colonized for a time, similar to the novalith cannon buff from vanilla. How does this work?

#63 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Ok, heres what it is, let the flood be able to colonize a planet, and then, after one of your fleets bombards it, give it a buff that prevents the planet from being colonized for a time, similar to the novalith cannon buff from vanilla. How does this work?

Yep. That would work
  • Defender0 likes this
#define true false

Spoiler

#64 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

im not sure if its even possible to change a planet type in entrenchment also, so this idea of mine might be completely moot. If not, i have a second idea, but i want to know if im stopped by hardcoding first.

I'm also in the dark aswell about the hardcoding and coding restrictions involved in Sins. But I'm sure we can find work arounds to get what we want, even if it isn't exactly what we want.

Since we can't make a colony ship die after it colonizes, couldn't we just disable it. By either adding an extremely large cooldown or by draining all the ship's antimatter after one use and not giving the ship regen for it's antimatter.

Addition:

Or instead have that buff affect the planet after a Flood bombardment, for a really really long time.
Don't read this signature.

#65 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'm also in the dark aswell about the hardcoding and coding restrictions involved in Sins. But I'm sure we can find work arounds to get what we want, even if it isn't exactly what we want.

Since we can't make a colony ship die after it colonizes, couldn't we just disable it. By either adding an extremely large cooldown or by draining all the ship's antimatter after one use and not giving the ship regen for it's antimatter.

i think we should figure out how the flood attacked worlds in the forerunner-flood war. I think that, if the method is different than what happened in halo 3 with the crashed cruiser, then we should use the flood-forerunner war method instead of crashing (destroying) a ship to colonize a planet, since we cant do that in sins.

#66 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

i think we should figure out how the flood attacked worlds in the forerunner-flood war. I think that, if the method is different than what happened in halo 3 with the crashed cruiser, then we should use the flood-forerunner war method instead of crashing (destroying) a ship to colonize a planet, since we cant do that in sins.

I seem to remember from Halo Legends that the Flood weren't intially seen as a threat by the Forerunners and they allowed the Flood to cohabitate with them. Then the flood got out of hand, and by the time the Forerunners realized they were hostile the Flood were already in the hearts of their worlds. So the Forerunners decided to flee their planets as they saw that they were going to lose the war the way it was going. So they built giant fortress worlds to protect them from the Flood and hopefully protect them from their last plan to exterminate the flood, the Halos Array

#67 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Ok, this is a good start. Ill go look on halopedia to see if there is anything that can help us there.

#68 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

<Pondering outloud> I wonder if there is a way to change a planet's type... We could make it so that when they colonized a planet it would turn it into a Flood World type, and then require research to be able to recolonize it... Hmmmm...

this is what i was suggesting first, before my idea of using the novalith "cannot colonize world" buff, and i didnt know whether or not hardcoding would get in the way. If hardcoding isnt an issue, i think this is how we should do this.

#69 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

this is what i was suggesting first, before my idea of using the novalith "cannot colonize world" buff, and i didnt know whether or not hardcoding would get in the way. If hardcoding isnt an issue, i think this is how we should do this.

Yea, I see now comments have been made saying it's not possible. I hadn't updated the post in a while so I didn't see the new stuff.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#70 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Yea, I see now comments have been made saying it's not possible. I hadn't updated the post in a while so I didn't see the new stuff.

Ok, then its a good thing we have a workaround using the novalith buff idea *goes off to halopedia to research that thing i was going to look up*

did some research, it looks as if the flood used the same method of infecting worlds (crashing ships into the world and spreading infection). We cannot replicate this, so i have an alternative idea: what if we make the colonization effect for the flood a kind of "Spore cloud" that is released from space? Would this make sense?

#71 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

I'm fairly impressed by myself. All my suggestions were prior to me reading more about the Flood-Forerunner war, and it seems that I was extremely accurate in my assumtions and foggy memories. I have been saying hivemind instead of gravemind; however, they are basically the same thing as a gravemind is the centralization of all Flood thought.
Here are links to the wiki pages describing the Forerunner-Flood War and Gravemind(s):
http://halo.wikia.co...unner-Flood_war
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Gravemind

#72 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

So, I've been reading the Halo Wiki for a few hours now. Trying to figure out the Flood's purpose for their actions, strategies, and other what not & etc. It seems that my ideas were on the ball canonly speaking.
-Refering back to my recommendation about Flood captured planets becoming a gravemind and spreading it's influence: (quotes from the wiki)
"According to Halo: Silentium, if an entire ecosystem of sufficient biomass is infected, the entire planet becomes a super-Gravemind, or Keymind."
"While the Flood were exponentially growing, spreading from system to system with the intent to infect the Forerunner population, not to wage war with Forerunner battle groups, the tide was turning; the Flood had reached sufficient proportions to create a Gravemind form, a creature that embodied a collective sentient intelligence for the Flood species, and one that could coordinate the Flood swarms in intelligent attacks against the Forerunner Fleets."
-The way to describe Defender's idea of research to allow for recapture of infected planets: (if it's possible for us to implement the mechanics involved)
"By manipulating key strands of the Floods genetic buildup, infecting a third of the human population, then placing them directly along the pathway of the Flood, the humans were able to 'reprogram' the intentions of the Flood. As a result, the Flood began to tear itself apart on a galactic level further spreading the Human/San'shyuum genetic weapon, and causing the Flood to simply wipe itself out."

Read more for yourself if you like, but I think we've covered what the Flood should be capable of. Now we have to think of ways to implent these and balance them (which I don't know when because our main focus right now should and is on the UNSC and Covenant as the Flood are just a psuedo race atm).
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Flood

#73 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

So, I've been reading the Halo Wiki for a few hours now. Trying to figure out the Flood's purpose for their actions, strategies, and other what not & etc. It seems that my ideas were on the ball canonly speaking.
-Refering back to my recommendation about Flood captured planets becoming a gravemind and spreading it's influence: (quotes from the wiki)
"According to Halo: Silentium, if an entire ecosystem of sufficient biomass is infected, the entire planet becomes a super-Gravemind, or Keymind."
"While the Flood were exponentially growing, spreading from system to system with the intent to infect the Forerunner population, not to wage war with Forerunner battle groups, the tide was turning; the Flood had reached sufficient proportions to create a Gravemind form, a creature that embodied a collective sentient intelligence for the Flood species, and one that could coordinate the Flood swarms in intelligent attacks against the Forerunner Fleets."
-The way to describe Defender's idea of research to allow for recapture of infected planets: (if it's possible for us to implement the mechanics involved)
"By manipulating key strands of the Floods genetic buildup, infecting a third of the human population, then placing them directly along the pathway of the Flood, the humans were able to 'reprogram' the intentions of the Flood. As a result, the Flood began to tear itself apart on a galactic level further spreading the Human/San'shyuum genetic weapon, and causing the Flood to simply wipe itself out."

Read more for yourself if you like, but I think we've covered what the Flood should be capable of. Now we have to think of ways to implent these and balance them (which I don't know when because our main focus right now should and is on the UNSC and Covenant as the Flood are just a psuedo race atm).
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Flood

I see an endgame, massively anti-flood self-spreading ability from that...

Anti-Flood biovirus
entity pseudocode:
instantactions:
damage 10
spread self to nearby ships
repeat
put that on an expensive cruiser (marathon maybe?) and force it to self-destruct after use... but it would kill the flood
#define true false

Spoiler

#74 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

I see an endgame, massively anti-flood self-spreading ability from that...

Anti-Flood biovirus
entity pseudocode:
instantactions:
damage 10
spread self to nearby ships
repeat
put that on an expensive cruiser (marathon maybe?) and force it to self-destruct after use... but it would kill the flood

i like the idea, but at their current power, a level 3 shiva nuke will wipe out most of a flood fleet, and 2 shivas spread out will completely annihilate them. So, im not sure if we should sacrifice a ship to slowly destroy the flood when said ship can do a lot of damage to the flood with conventional weapons.

That being said, i would also like to wait for any new additions to the flood ships in order to judge the effectiveness of this kind of ability, as there will be capital ship flood ships, as stated by CanadaMan... somewhere, i think Moddb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users