73 replies to this topic

#21 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Currently, the flood are no where near as scary as they are in Halo CEs level 343 Guilty Spark. Anyone ever play that level as a 10 year old?

Yeah I remember it being harder back then. But it's not so bad. I mean, I have 100% achievement completion for Halo CEA.
  • Defender0 likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#22 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Which was worse 343 Guilty Spark level or The Library?

In Guilty Spark there's a cheap way to skip the swamp by throwing a grenade as soon as you gain control of yourself in the pelican. But then you meet the flood and you crap 10 tons of bricks.

But the Library on the other hand wasn't scary so much as absolutely terrifying (as a 10 year old mind you). Flood everywhere. But the worst was when you saw the flood with rockets.
Nothing is as terrifying as a super accurate flood sniping you with rockets from 100 yards away...... that still scares me to this day..........

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#23 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Which was worse 343 Guilty Spark level or The Library?

In Guilty Spark there's a cheap way to skip the swamp by throwing a grenade as soon as you gain control of yourself in the pelican. But then you meet the flood and you crap 10 tons of bricks.

But the Library on the other hand wasn't scary so much as absolutely terrifying (as a 10 year old mind you). Flood everywhere. But the worst was when you saw the flood with rockets.
Nothing is as terrifying as a super accurate flood sniping you with rockets from 100 yards away...... that still scares me to this day..........

343 Guilty Spark is more confusing, but between the two, The Library is where I always find myself in a rough spot. It's being backed into those corners waiting for 343 Guilty Spark to open the containment doors really; sometimes if there are a lot of combat forms without weapons I find myself out of ammo. From what I remember melee attacks are basically useless on the Flood combat forms, you should never be that close to a carrier form, and you have to be really accurate to destroy even one infection form with them.

#24 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

343 Guilty Spark is more confusing, but between the two, The Library is where I always find myself in a rough spot. It's being backed into those corners waiting for 343 Guilty Spark to open the containment doors really; sometimes if there are a lot of combat forms without weapons I find myself out of ammo. From what I remember melee attacks are basically useless on the Flood combat forms, you should never be that close to a carrier form, and you have to be really accurate to destroy even one infection form with them.

ok, in terms of difficulty, i agree with this, but what about in terms of being scared: 343 guilty spark, or library?

#25 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

ok, in terms of difficulty, i agree with this, but what about in terms of being scared: 343 guilty spark, or library?

First time, 343 Guilty Spark. Flood are totally different from fighting Covenant and barely humanoid. Such a huge surprise. Otherwise, I don't know.
  • Defender0 likes this

#26 Kommrad II

Kommrad II

Ask me about those ship icons.

• Banned
  • 223 posts
  • LocationNEV-AH-DUH

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

First time I played Halo I was pretty young, so hen I managed to turn myself around in 343 I shat so many bricks. Nothing like being unable to find your way out of a room full of things that scare the living shit out of you.
  • Emberblaque and Dianno5741 like this

"Groovy."

Ask me about those ships icons I owe Unikraken.

#27 Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOrange, California, USA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

I notice that the Flood infection ships will often stop and start, which usually results in them getting blasted to smithereans before they can get within range. That being said, I think it might help to make the number of flood ships that need to hit a ship before it gets infected different for each ship type, since cap ships becoming infected by one flood ship can be a tad bit frustrating, especially since they have a tendency to charge right into the fray at times. Just a suggestion, though ^^

I do like how the Flood grows in strength as they infect more ships and pull them back to their base; it might be interesting if they exploited the roles of each ship a bit more, such as using Prowlers to scout out planets to infest, rather than just using them as cannon fodder.

#28 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

Since cap ships becoming infected by one flood ship can be a tad bit frustrating, especially since they have a tendency to charge right into the fray at times. Just a suggestion, though ^^

I have to be honest, this is one of my favourite things about the flood. I've had many a Valiant charge towards the flood and let loose a nuke, only to be taken over seconds later by an attack, but I think that's great, it adds another level to dealing with them, it adds timing, tactics to what would otherwise just be a point and click job. I think the mechanics of the flood, especially the infection, are spot on, they just need a bit more oomph to make them a proper galactic terror. Bigger fleets and maybe a colonising ability would be perfect as a quick fix but I have faith in the mod team to come up with something amazing in the future, let's be honest, it's hardly crap at the minute. Just a little underwhelming.
  • Unikraken, CanadaMan7, Emberblaque and 1 other like this

#29 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I notice that the Flood infection ships will often stop and start, which usually results in them getting blasted to smithereans before they can get within range. That being said, I think it might help to make the number of flood ships that need to hit a ship before it gets infected different for each ship type, since cap ships becoming infected by one flood ship can be a tad bit frustrating, especially since they have a tendency to charge right into the fray at times. Just a suggestion, though ^^

I do like how the Flood grows in strength as they infect more ships and pull them back to their base; it might be interesting if they exploited the roles of each ship a bit more, such as using Prowlers to scout out planets to infest, rather than just using them as cannon fodder.

Can'tdothatbecauseofhardcoding.jpg

I have to be honest, this is one of my favourite things about the flood. I've had many a Valiant charge towards the flood and let loose a nuke, only to be taken over seconds later by an attack, but I think that's great, it adds another level to dealing with them, it adds timing, tactics to what would otherwise just be a point and click job. I think the mechanics of the flood, especially the infection, are spot on, they just need a bit more oomph to make them a proper galactic terror. Bigger fleets and maybe a colonising ability would be perfect as a quick fix but I have faith in the mod team to come up with something amazing in the future, let's be honest, it's hardly crap at the minute. Just a little underwhelming.

We fully intend on having more types of flood ships, but the flood are secondary to UNSC and Covenant units so it'll be some time before that comes to fruition unless we can find more modelers that can do rounded surfaces without using a million polygons and some concept artists for said ships. We've also figured out a way to add some decent looking infection effects to ships captured by the flood, but we have to wait work on that as well.

Also, the infection ability is pretty much exactly what we want it to be. If you don't want to lose cap ships to the flood...play smarter or keep them out of that fight.
  • Moustachio86 likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#30 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

We fully intend on having more types of flood ships, but the flood are secondary to UNSC and Covenant units so it'll be some time before that comes to fruition.

As it should be, I'm just bringing the issue to the public domain to see if any ideas crop up in the mean time.

#31 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

Word.
  • Bornstellaris likes this

#32 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Can'tdothatbecauseofhardcoding.jpg

someone needs to make this an actual jpeg

#33 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

someone needs to make this an actual jpeg

This close enough?

Posted Image
  • sloosecannon and Dianno5741 like this

#34 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Spoiler
It's funny because he's the same movie

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#35 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

This close enough?

LOL even better than a jpeg

we now have Can'tdothatbecauseofhardcoding.gif

#36 Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOrange, California, USA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Alright, just thought I'd ask XP I know how hard coding can be, and I really think this entire project is amazing to begin with. I do have another question, do the Flood actually make use of certain structures they possess, like Hydrogen Extractors?

#37 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Alright, just thought I'd ask XP I know how hard coding can be, and I really think this entire project is amazing to begin with. I do have another question, do the Flood actually make use of certain structures they possess, like Hydrogen Extractors?

No, I don't think they do, or at least they haven't in the games I've played.
Spoiler

#38 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

No, they have no need for resources as far as I can tell. Their raid fleets are spawned by code, they don't build them.

#39 Calm_Craftman

Calm_Craftman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Locationrip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I played a game yesterday and got annihilated by legendary AI and if I'm correct isn't the scaling to legendary basically a cheating AI or is that only in Trinity/Rebellion version? Not under powered I lost 2/3s of my fleet even with Nukes
Im Retard

#40 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

It's funny because he's the same movie

What? Jurassic Park is not Pulp Fiction...

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users