• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 TheBigMan27

TheBigMan27

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

So I was wondering what everyone thought of Covenant star bases, and how they will work in-game?
Will the Covies get two different types like the UNSC?

Obviously the most canon choice for a Covie base would be the one described in Fist Strike (Unyielding Hierophant) , and I would like to throw my two bits into the idea of it :D

From what I understand of the starbase in First Strike (Let's just call it teardrop base) is that in no way was it ment for combat, and was completely a refit and repair station, with little to no combat abilities, besides of course it's large complement of single ships and orgasmically powerful shields (described as able to withstand an impact with a small moon).
So, I see the teardrop base as being the counter to Anchor stations, but maybe with some minor changes. As shown with many other Covie structures, they rely mostly on their shield tech and have fairly fragile and spindly superstructures. As I see it just give the teardrop base the opposite of Anchors, extremely powerful shielding, but a weak hull.
Now onto abilities. I would love to see a large emphasis on repair and passive abilities for this station, as it had a very large complement of engineers, maybe correlating into a system wide bonus to shield regen or hull repair for all ships. Another possibility (I'm not even sure if this is possible, but would be amazing if so) could be that when ships are in the same gravity well as the station they get a boost to single craft creation/repair. One more idea is a self-destruct idea, like the current one with the Argove in the base game, but multiply it a thousand fold. Like make this a complete last resort option for the base, but would totally anus rape whatever was even remotely close to it. I always felt like the self-destruct power of the Argove was really nerf'd, and I feel like this could be a chance to show what it could have been.

But of course, we have to make this non OP, so my best suggestion would be to make these things be
1- Have a ridiculously long build time, something in the 4:00 minute range
2- Make this thing cost more than the World Trade Centers, the fortress of Barad-dur, and the fucking Death Star combined
3- Have all of the research to make this thing even remotely efficient fairly late game and costly
4- Put a limit on the number of bases possible to create, much like the Novalith Cannon

As a last thought, maybe the name for this station could be the "Hierophant Class Station"?
I'd love to see other's opinions on this and ideas! :D

Thank you very much for reading this through if you have, and again I am just a community member and know the modding dev's will do what's best for the future of the mod!

Edited by TheBigMan27, 04 April 2013 - 07:44 PM.

• Aunt Gruntie likes this

#2 Normon

Normon

High Commander of the Fleet of Unholy Fire

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts
  • LocationThe cartographer.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

You sir, should speak up more, excellent ideas, unfortunately I fear the Unyielding Hierophant would break the game due to its massive size, but you never know, we might add it in. On a side note, it's base, or bases, not bass.
  • TheBigMan27 likes this
Signature? Quotes? Images? Nonsense! Actually, cool quotes are cool. - Me
Primus successus aut totus error. - EOD

#3 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

How many bass do you think we should incorporate. Luckily there is a lake near my home where I could catch some normal bass, but I frankly don't know where to catch starbass. I know one thing though, don't go fishing with someone that makes dubstep.
  • sloosecannon, JasonAHawkins, Defender0 and 4 others like this
Don't read this signature.

#4 Kommrad II

Kommrad II

Ask me about those ship icons.

• Banned
  • 223 posts
  • LocationNEV-AH-DUH

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

My dad has an electric bass in the garage.

"Groovy."

Ask me about those ships icons I owe Unikraken.

#5 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Keen observations gentlemen. Now get back on topic.

#6 TheBigMan27

TheBigMan27

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

God O-O
I feel like a retarded monkey :'(
AH WELL FUCK IT!

#7 TheBigMan27

TheBigMan27

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

How many bass do you think we should incorporate. Luckily there is a lake near my home where I could catch some normal bass, but I frankly don't know where to catch starbass. I know one thing though, don't go fishing with someone that makes dubstep.

Fixed it :D

#8 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Fixed it :D

Not really that big a problem. I'm having some difficulty thinking up a Covenant starbase that is pratical for Sins. The only starbases I know of that the Covenant used could fit entire fleets in them. And since I don't see the Covenant as a defensive persona, I don't think they would really construct any for anything but fleet housing. The covenant seemed to have a hit and run strategy when it came to combating the humans, and starbases can't really run to well (know what I'm sayin).

#9 TheBigMan27

TheBigMan27

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yah, I think I do. But something to consider would be the Orkurus Starbase from the original game. If I remeber correctly, it had the ability to move around and later jump from gravity well to gravity well.
A possible option could be to have that as a power for the base and just make the rest up, since now that you point it out I'm pretty sure nothing in canon fits the role of "Light" battle station.
The jumping "in theory" is actually somewhat possible, since I doubt the Covie's could have built something as large as the Unyielding Hierophant so close to Earth/Sol and behind enemy lines and have no one in the UNSC notice it. So the logical conclusion is that it moved there.
Just an idea though...

#10 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yah, I think I do. But something to consider would be the Orkurus Starbase from the original game. If I remeber correctly, it had the ability to move around and later jump from gravity well to gravity well.
A possible option could be to have that as a power for the base and just make the rest up, since now that you point it out I'm pretty sure nothing in canon fits the role of "Light" battle station.
The jumping "in theory" is actually somewhat possible, since I doubt the Covie's could have built something as large as the Unyielding Hierophant so close to Earth/Sol and behind enemy lines and have no one in the UNSC notice it. So the logical conclusion is that it moved there.
Just an idea though...

I have the Vasari's starbase in mind, yes, but I believe the jumping ability is only in Rebellion (going of the top of my head, don't quote me on that one).

#11 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

Well most of you wouldn't know but I like the current covenant starbase. It is kind of like a miniature High Charity. I think it should be kept mobile, have high shields, and low armor like BigMan suggested. It should also keep the ability to move in a gravity well and jump in between gravity wells like the vasari in rebellion. In fact I like everything BigMan suggested. But keep it a miniature High Charity and make it extremely mobile to keep up with the covenant mobility persona.
  • TheBigMan27 likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#12 TheBigMan27

TheBigMan27

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:10 AM

In fact I like everything BigMan suggested.

Why thank you! :D

#13 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

My ideas for it are pretty much to make it a mobile fleet platform. Mini high charities. So it will have weapons, shields and upgrades to boot all that but also the ability to repair ships ect. Think vanila starbase only more covenant. The idea is its like the death star. Slow, but mobile and if it gets to your planet with a huge fleet in tow your in for one hell of a problem.
  • Defender0 likes this

bDNWw7L.png

#14 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Aren't the Covvies all about fast and hard? Not slow and hard?

#15 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

How about have High Charity junior move really slow but be able to jump from anywhere with in a gravity well but have a long jump charge time. This is completely do able isn't it?
Spoiler

#16 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

Doubt it.

#17 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

Yes it is. There is an upgrade for the vasari that decreases the distance they can jump from a gravity well at.
Spoiler

#18 gotterdammung

gotterdammung

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

cant see how you could make the Unyielding Heirophant balanced in the game without adding some form of NOVA bomb ability somewhere along the line.

#19 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Aren't the Covvies all about fast and hard? Not slow and hard?

It's worth noting that the starbase being able to move at all is faster than the UNSC starbase by a factor of NaN
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#20 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

cant see how you could make the Unyielding Heirophant balanced in the game without adding some form of NOVA bomb ability somewhere along the line.

Leave NOVA bombs out of a covenant based thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users