220 replies to this topic

#61 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

I like the second idea too.

Also, another idea: if we are going to make this slipspace portal, would it be a good idea to give it a neutral faction guarding it, consisting of forerunner ships? I find that wormholes give a player a large tactical advantage of instantly travelling from one place to another, it would make sense to have to fight for it. And, if it is being replaced by a forerunner structure, it would make sense for forerunners to guard it.
  • Unikraken likes this

#62 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

What an excellent idea. We've been trying to decide where Forerunner stuff should go for militias. Love it.
  • Defender0 likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#63 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi guys, I was wondering since as far as we know wormholes do no exist in the Haloverse could we swap them out with these instead?
Perhaps have the portal within the ring otherwise the ring would have to be below the game grid.
Posted Image

Actually that would be in some sense canon. Since the Forerunners had possessed the technology to bend time and space with an artifact that was hidden away below the ONI castle base. This recieves the ROFLCOPTER SEAL OF APPROVAL B)
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#64 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

What an excellent idea. We've been trying to decide where Forerunner stuff should go for militias. Love it.

Thanks, ive always felt that wormholes are really strategic in how they work, and it makes no sense for them not to be guarded.

#65 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

You killed the Chief! You bastards!

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Thanks, ive always felt that wormholes are really strategic in how they work, and it makes no sense for them not to be guarded.

Since I said we can't have SMAC in the gravity well :P

#66 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

perhaps a long term defense could work, a halo ring has sentinal factories above its surface that constantly manufactures them, the sins version of this would be two or more hangers that builds sentinals instead of fighters, so an invading faction could either capture the hangers/factories and build thier own sentinals or just destroy them.

#67 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

perhaps a long term defense could work, a halo ring has sentinal factories above its surface that constantly manufactures them, the sins version of this would be two or more hangers that builds sentinals instead of fighters, so an invading faction could either capture the hangers/factories and build thier own sentinals or just destroy them.

I dont see any problem with this once we get those things in game

#68 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Maybe instead of sentinels they build enforcers like the ones in halo 2. And onyx that actually destroyed covenant and UNSC alike.

#69 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Maybe instead of sentinels they build enforcers like the ones in halo 2. And onyx that actually destroyed covenant and UNSC alike.

Enforcers aren't really all that great in a space setting. The Onyx sentinels would be the best option.

#70 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Enforces aren't really all that great in a space setting. The Onyx sentinels would be the best option.

That's what I meant my apologies I'm trying to multi tasking and failing. But I have no idea how they would look? Have you guys consider that yet? Or is that not even on the board yet?

#71 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

That's what I meant my apologies I'm trying to multi tasking and failing. But I have no idea how they would look? Have you guys consider that yet? Or is that not even on the board yet?

If you google "Onyx sentinel" their description seems to have been clear enough in the books that discussion about them is pretty singular. All fan-art looks the same.

#72 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Copy that

#73 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

An Oynx Sentinel, hmmmmm. Let me get out of bed and I'll see what I can do about that.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#74 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

i literally just went to google images and looked up onyx sentinel, there are a lot of them out there, they all match the basic description, but none of them really had that "Forerunner" feel to them. Like, you had to look at it for a few moments before it clicked that it was forerunner. So i think that we should probably make our own model from scratch and from the description alone, if thats not already the plan.

#75 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Enforcers aren't really all that great in a space setting. The Onyx sentinels would be the best option.

The Onyx sentinals appear as a sphere with 3 cylinders positioned in a roughly sentinal shape according to the book.
Posted Image

#76 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

The Onyx sentinals appear as a sphere with 3 cylinders positioned in a roughly sentinal shape according to the book.
Posted Image

Also remember they could combine into a large formation with collective firepower to one shot pretty much anything(I know that is not nessarily true, but it gets my point across)

#77 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Ahem... Bornstellar makes eternal lasting models... just sayin
  • Unikraken and Bornstellaris like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#78 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Ahem... Bornstellar makes eternal lasting models... just sayin

That's because the libarian hid ancient human memories deep within him.

#79 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

You humans and your narrow minded views about things eternal.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#80 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Alrighty Chaps here is the 2 different versions of the portal

Horizontal
Posted Image

Vertical
Posted Image

Still want to touch them up a bit.

Thoughts??

Before you get too head strong with this guy, I think it still needs a lot of work. For instances, the arm pylons aren't nearly angular enough. Forerunner architecture is the farthest from having squared edges, that's more of a UNSC thing.
Spoiler

Just take a look at the pylons there, how they're angled all the way to the top and the emitters are at the edges and not more centered in the middle.
Spoiler

Here's a view from the top down, if it helps.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users