• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

I honestly thought that by time of the fall of reach there were less than that. Maybe at the most 10 carriers that were still on active patrol for the inner colonies.

This is purely estimation. It could be far less. or it could be much higher. I dont know because i dont have numbers to work with for the entire UNSC navy.

#22 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

This is purely estimation. It could be far less. or it could be much higher. I dont know because i dont have numbers to work with for the entire UNSC navy.

I know for a fact that UNSC lost close 100 ships at reach (give or take I don't quite remember). Assuming the UNSC only had a few hundred ships at that point I guess you could actually argue the ratio of carriers to other ship classes would be higher since they were losing the other classes (frigates destroyers corvettes) in bulk.
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#23 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

There isn't any specific numbers mentioned, but carriers aren't seen all that much and when they are there is only one of them.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#24 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I know for a fact that UNSC lost close 100 ships at reach (give or take I don't quite remember). Assuming the UNSC only had a few hundred ships at that point I guess you could actually argue the ratio of carriers to other ship classes would be higher since they were losing the other classes (frigates destroyers corvettes) in bulk.

It's estimated there were around 2000 ships in the UNSC fleet around the time of Reach/Earth being attacked. Humanity had something like 600 worlds to patrol.
  • Bornstellaris likes this

#25 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

One thing I do know is that there were only 20 cruisers left in the entire UNSC fleet.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#26 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

There isn't any specific numbers mentioned, but carriers aren't seen all that much and when they are there is only one of them.

I had a feeling it would be a low amount. I was hoping for exact numbers, but this is just as good as it sets up a standard. Would it be a good idea to attempt to (reasonably) balance the eion so that they appear in fleets in numbers closer to what is in canon?

#27 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Well all know you can only do so much for the numbers of specific classes of ship but I do agree with defender. However, if long swords are out numbered 5 to 1 in space combat by Covenant Seraphs their squad number may have to be limited to help achieve some closeness to cannon on that because most computers can only have so many models running in game. Just my thoughts though...
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#28 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

I don't think we should try to force it, Defender. The mod is about creating your own canon with the information available.

m468, that was just fluff text for the post. I have no idea how heavily outnumbered they are, but they were pretty obviously outnumbered to some extent. Our current plan is for Covie squads to be 3 ships instead of 2.

#29 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

m468, that was just fluff text for the post. I have no idea how heavily outnumbered they are, but they were pretty obviously outnumbered to some extent. Our current plan is for Covie squads to be 3 ships instead of 2.

I know I was using for the same point I was at work and distracted (from both work and this) so my phrasing my not have been the greatest but I threw that number out to make the same basic point you did. Anyways, I meant to say that I understand both points. But, I still am a bit concerned.
Spoiler

#30 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I hate to make an argument from authority fallacy, but have we wronged you guys yet? Trust us and work with us and we'll make this mod the best it can be!

#31 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

I hate to make an argument from authority fallacy, but have we wronged you guys yet? Trust us and work with us and we'll make this mod the best it can be!

I trust you you have made the best mod I have ever played on SoSE and btw I just answered my own concerns about the strike craft idea by reading while not distracted by assembling a custom modded Glock 17
  • Unikraken likes this
Spoiler

#32 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

You killed the Chief! You bastards!

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

I trust you you have made the best mod I have ever played on SoSE and btw I just answered my own concerns about the strike craft idea by reading while not distracted by assembling a custom modded Glock 17

Ya I did the same the other day but with my m4... But so far as I have played in single player I haven't really noticed them spamming a certain ship. Half the time I see more halcyon's then I do anything else.

#33 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Alright
so not to come from a coding-I-Know-what-im-doing standpoint. The idea behind making strikecraft less is that the Eion is inefficent for its MAC, Id dare any of you to eion spam me without fighters. youd lose. it has two fighters each fighter being beefy, taht being said they are also still fighters and are still extremely vulnerable to AA fire from the mako. Making the fighters less per squadron sort of buffs the makos since they can easily shoot them down after a first pass thereby rendering your eion fleet completely vulnerable to pretty much my entire fleet. Even charons with makos would win against Eions. i went through the entities myself last night with Uni, step by step making sure that they are still balanced, still fun, still important, and not broken.

Is this the final answer? Probably not.
is this a good idea? yes, its more canon, its better for computer resources, and its better for balance.
If this fails then we will reconsider but the idea for moving the eion to a 5th lab spot to me is not a good idea. Its not hard to grab a fifth tech lab, Then spam the shit out of them you only put the spam off for maybe a minute. Making them more expensive is a route if this doesnt work. But there are lots of options for fixing this should this one not work.

bDNWw7L.png

#34 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

[sarcasm]
Another GREAT thing is that Orion decides to attack strike craft for its auto attack. That should help out A LOT.
[/sarcasm]
Don't read this signature.

#35 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

If this fails then we will reconsider but the idea for moving the eion to a 5th lab spot to me is not a good idea. Its not hard to grab a fifth tech lab, Then spam the shit out of them you only put the spam off for maybe a minute. Making them more expensive is a route if this doesnt work. But there are lots of options for fixing this should this one not work.

I forgot to add "and put it so you can only research it after you research the Marathon."
Spoiler

#36 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

[sarcasm]
Another GREAT thing is that Orion decides to attack strike craft for its auto attack. That should help out A LOT.
[/sarcasm]

Fixed.

#37 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Fixed.

Oh thank you so much!
Don't read this signature.

#38 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

I had a feeling it would be a low amount. I was hoping for exact numbers, but this is just as good as it sets up a standard. Would it be a good idea to attempt to (reasonably) balance the eion so that they appear in fleets in numbers closer to what is in canon?

Eions already cost enough as it is. Making them any more expensive could push people away from using them at all.
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#39 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

In that sense yes.
The expense of the Eion makes it a ship difficult to spam really. You need a strong economy to attempt it.
I'd say it's a lot of your fault that you just sat on your ass and allowed your enemy to build up economy and the fleet if he's able to Eion spam you.
Though once you get a good number of Eions, it's pratically an unstoppable force to nuke capital ships fast on first run.

#40 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

In that sense yes.
The expense of the Eion makes it a ship difficult to spam really. You need a strong economy to attempt it.
I'd say it's a lot of your fault that you just sat on your ass and allowed your enemy to build up economy and the fleet if he's able to Eion spam you.
Though once you get a good number of Eions, it's pratically an unstoppable force to nuke capital ships fast on first run.

Plus if we are pushed to a point where nobody wants to pay for an Eion when they could just buy an athens and get more out of it we would lose the source of the "Dat Aft" jokes. I don't think anybody wants that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users