#21 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Probably because of the visor, and all the additional sensors in the helmet there would make it so there would  less room for power source ergo weaker shielding at that point. And you know, gameplay (critical hit points are important).

Good point.

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#22 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

Probably because of the visor, and all the additional sensors in the helmet. These combined would make it less room for power sources ergo weaker shielding at that point. And you know, gameplay (critical hit points are important).

Internal components would not disrupt an energy field. It's purely just a gameplay thing to make players go for the competitive headshot.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#23 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:22 AM

Internal components would not disrupt an energy field.

This is an objective fucking fact, right here. (You're an engineer and you don't know that "energy field" is as pseudo-scientific as it gets?)

It's purely just a gameplay thing to make players go for the competitive headshot.

This is an objective fucking fact, right here. (This time I'm not being ironic.)

• Defender0 likes this

#24 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

This is an objective fucking fact, right here. (You're an engineer and you don't know that "energy field" is as pseudo-scientific as it gets?)

This is an objective fucking fact, right here. (This time I'm not being ironic.)

I can't decide whether or nor you agree with zero or me???
What is actually creating the shield? I assumed it would be something that can be found all over the armor (since the shied covers all the armor) and since the helmet has less room because it has ports and things in/on it it would have less shielding capabilities (due to power source limitations and actual size constraints). That is my way of rationalizing it.
But of course the real reason game-play wise is because of what both me and Zero said, head-shots and critical hits are important.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#25 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

I can't decide whether or nor you agree with zero or me???
What is actually creating the shield? I assumed it would be something that can be found all over the armor (since the shied covers all the armor) and since the helmet has less room because it has ports and things in/on it it would have less shielding capabilities (due to power source limitations and actual size constraints). That is my way of rationalizing it.
But of course the real reason game-play wise is because of what both me and Zero said, head-shots and critical hits are important.

I'm not agreeing with anyone. My points are that any statements regarding the function of fictional technology that aren't explicitly stated are necessarily speculation, and that selling them as objective truth to someone who's too intimidated to point out this fact is nothing short of intellectual masturbation.

• Defender0 likes this

#26 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

Tone it down Ember, this is what beeing part of a sci-fi fanbase is like. Speculation is the name of the game and so far no one here has stated that they have the only truth. let's keep everything friendly everyone.

Sweden can into gender!

#27 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

Tone it down Ember, this is what beeing part of a sci-fi fanbase is like. Speculation is the name of the game and so far no one here has stated that they have the only truth. let's keep everything friendly everyone.

Friendliness is exactly what I'm advocating.

"I don't think that internal components would disrupt an energy field," is an example of a speculative statement. However, "Internal components would not disrupt an energy field," is an example of a proposition, something with a truth-value. This is a distinction that KhevaKins would not have made. My motive is to prevent him from feeling as though he were incorrect, and therefore inferior, because it was impossible for him to be correct. I'm not condeming this thread, or speculation in general; I'm condemning the conflation of speculation with objective truth, and particularly situations in which such conflation causes suffering.

• Defender0 likes this

#28 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Actually, theres a chance that shield strength is the same overall

In SWAT mode, it takes a single headshot to an unshielded target (everyone has no shields) to kill, while it takes 3 body shots. This is proof that ARMOR strength is weaker in the head. And that would explain the "weaker" headshot while keeping shield strength the same overall. That being said, id love to go into halo 4 custom games and shoot someone in the head once, and shoot someone in the body once, and compare shield damage

#29 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Shield strength is the same overall, at least in-game

The only reason a headshot with a sniper is an instakill is because some of the damage goes past the shield, and if it happens to hit the head, it's a kill...
  • Defender0 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#30 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Shield strength is the same overall, at least in-game

The only reason a headshot with a sniper is an instakill is because some of the damage goes past the shield, and if it happens to hit the head, it's a kill...

this is also why sniper shots that hit the body are not kill shots, something that is very annoying to learn...

#31 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

http://www.sinsofthe...-ban-4149-y7q2/  Why do these kinds of people exist?

Yes, I know this is not a halo lore question but I want to know and this thread is called, Why?

After my question is answered let's not say anything else not related to the thread.  

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#32 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Your link doesn't work

Yes, I know this is not a halo lore question but I want to know and this thread is called, Why?

After my question is answered let's not say anything else not related to the thread.  

Spoiler

#33 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Because i havent killed them all yet

Why does only halo CEs assault rifle have 60 bullets when every other game, even reach, has it with 32 (excluding halo 2 as it doesnt make an appearance in that game)?

#34 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Balancing since well 60 bullets is just spray and eventually they'll die before having to reload.

Either that or they got upgraded parts in a newer version supposibly making less room for more bullets but improving accuracy and w/e.

#35 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Why does only halo CEs assault rifle have 60 bullets when every other game, even reach, has it with 32 (excluding halo 2 as it doesnt make an appearance in that game)?

(Slight exaggeration ensues) Because the Assault Rifle was a death dealing, hell spewing, gun 'o' fury. You walked into a room and start firing, can't see anything because of muzzle flash, keep shooting until nothing left on motion tracker, stop firing 10 bullets left in the clip and everything is dead. No matter the difficulty or the enemy.  So it was changed because it was to epic and awesome.

Now story/lore wise I couldn't even make a guess. Pricing perhaps? Marines are crappy shots (in the game they are, never ever give a marine a rocket launcher, unless on a scorpion) and the marines kept wasting ammo. Less shots and slower fire rate to force them to actual aim.

Spoiler

#36 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

Balancing since well 60 bullets is just spray and eventually they'll die when they have to reload.

If you spray like that, recoil would kick in. And yes, before someone says anything, halo has recoil, just not as much as other FPS games

(Slight exaggeration ensues) Because the Assault Rifle was a death dealing, hell spewing, gun 'o' fury. You walked into a room and start firing, can't see anything because of muzzle flash, keep shooting until nothing left on motion tracker, stop firing 10 bullets left in the clip and everything is dead. No matter the difficulty or the enemy.  So it was changed because it was to epic and awesome.

Now story/lore wise I couldn't even make a guess. Pricing perhaps? Marines are crappy shots (in the game they are, never ever give a marine a rocket launcher, unless on a scorpion) and the marines kept wasting ammo. Less shots and slower fire rate to force them to actual aim.

I know the canon reason for the extended mag. It was a different type of assault rifle if i remember, since there are two assault rifle types. but why would they make that differentiation in CE, and not bring it back in reach? thats what im curious about

#37 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Lol

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#38 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

If you spray like that, recoil would kick in. And yes, before someone says anything, halo has recoil, just not as much as other FPS games

Well the guy is a super soldier wearing armor weighing a ton and yet jumps like 10 feet in the air. Recoil is like the least of a Spartan's worries.

Still I'd assume even with recoil you could at least control the AR to some degree that a good chunk of those 60 bullets will hit the target especially on the PC version.

#39 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

Well the guy is a super soldier wearing armor weighing a ton and yet jumps like 10 feet in the air. Recoil is like the least of a Spartan's worries.

Still I'd assume even with recoil you could at least control the AR to some degree that a good chunk of those 60 bullets will hit the target especially on the PC version.

well, yes, if you control the recoil you get more accuracy, but this is also true of many FPS games. Im just saying it isnt exactly unbalanced.

#40 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I know the canon reason for the extended mag. It was a different type of assault rifle if i remember, since there are two assault rifle types. but why would they make that differentiation in CE, and not bring it back in reach? thats what im curious about

I know it is a different kind of AS but what I was getting at is why they made a different version? CE's AS was kickass, near god like, no need for a different version. I was trying to rationalize why, which is the point of this thread, Why?

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users