Reviving the prowler debate.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yes I know we have talked the prowler scenario to death a few times about it being "phased out" instead of it being cloaked. However last night I noticed a naruda envoy with invulnerability and I thought... well that's pretty close to being clocking since no ships can really do a damn thing about it. So why not add invulnerability to a Prowler (possibly through a research option) so its as close as possible to being considered "cloaked". If this has already been discussed then sorry for the repetitive post. 

"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#2 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Already been discussed when we used SoA2's example of Klingon cloaking as a period of invunerablity.

#3 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Already been discussed when we used SoA2's example of Klingon cloaking as a period of invunerablity.

Ninja reply much? 

"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#4 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'd love to have a cloaked prowler that does not show up on a enemies screen. But with Sins there is no way that it can be done. Plus i think the Prowler being invulnerable and phased out would just mean you trail it with some Longswords and wait for it to drop to 0 Antimatter.

Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.™

#5 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm starting to lean toward this idea. Prowlers need something.

• sloosecannon likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#6 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'm starting to lean toward this idea. Prowlers need something.

Agreed.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#7 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

I think it should have an electronic warfare suite. Research able abilities that make it very valuable to maintain in your fleet. This research should be pretty expensive and be in a tree formation where you choose one line of research and it locks the other line. Then it should split a second time after that one into two opposing trees.

One line could be the ability to drop mines, another could be giving it shields (I think it stands to reason that prowlers would be tested with shields first because of their close relations ship to ONI.) Something in regards to enemy fleets abilities, maybe drain anti matter and gives it to your fleet.

Also while on the subject, the prowler probe ability should be deploy-able from the edge of any gravity well, the prowlers almost always get destroyed before they reach the planet so you have to bum rush with a couple to deploy a probe.

And the anti mines ability need an overhaul, it takes to long to get rid of mines. Maybe make it a passive rather then an ability so it reveals mines in a certain radius around the prowler passively.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#8 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Actually, the passive version of mine detection in rebellion makes mine clearing way more annoying. The prowlers wouldnt do it automatically like they currently do. That being said, the range of the ability could use an increase

#9 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yea but then all you wuld have to do is direct their flight path near the mines. Maybe a tag team? A passive and a cooldown so it auto uses.
Spoiler

#10 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Thats not a bad idea, but it needs 2 abilities, so then you have to sacrifice one of its current abilities

#11 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Isn't the orion covenant shot a cooldown and a passive all in one? Or an auto-use passive? Or is that a bug? In that case I found a bug.

Spoiler

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Way ahead of you, its actually a broken ability and dianno knows about it

#13 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

I noticed it ages ago but was unsure if it was intended. No one tells me nothing, and Dianno almost never uses the descriptors for the SVN commit logs so I don't know what to look out for.

Spoiler

#14 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

I think it should have an electronic warfare suite. Research able abilities that make it very valuable to maintain in your fleet. This research should be pretty expensive and be in a tree formation where you choose one line of research and it locks the other line. Then it should split a second time after that one into two opposing trees.

One line could be the ability to drop mines, another could be giving it shields (I think it stands to reason that prowlers would be tested with shields first because of their close relations ship to ONI.) Something in regards to enemy fleets abilities, maybe drain anti matter and gives it to your fleet.

Also while on the subject, the prowler probe ability should be deploy-able from the edge of any gravity well, the prowlers almost always get destroyed before they reach the planet so you have to bum rush with a couple to deploy a probe.

And the anti mines ability need an overhaul, it takes to long to get rid of mines. Maybe make it a passive rather then an ability so it reveals mines in a certain radius around the prowler passively.

Don't think we can lock research paths until Rebellion.

I once again assume you mean give it shields in Rebellion.

I would like someone to say or determine whether or not it's possible to make the sensor drone ability work on the edge of a gravity well. I'm guessing not, though.

#15 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yea, sounds like a plan for rebellion.

I did mean give it shields, yes.

Couldn't we just give the probe ability a really big range?

Spoiler

#16 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Yea, sounds like a plan for rebellion.

I did mean give it shields, yes.

Couldn't we just give the probe ability a really big range?

I know you meant give it shields, I mean I hope you meant give it shields in Rebellion, which is irrelevant to making it useful in Entrenchment.

That might be workable, but I'm not sure. Would like some confirmation from someone more knowledgeable than me.

#17 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Just suggestions, no one answers to me.

And yes in rebellion.

Spoiler

#18 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Range increase would work. I'd quote properly, but frankly, not interested in working with bbcode on mobile. Also, there may be another better way to do that... I'll look into it

EDIT: also I intend to fix the prowlers and make them actually usable... I'll work on that when I get a chance
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#19 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

I honestly think they need a mine-laying ability in addition to some sort of cobbled-together cloaking ability.

yLM4TEk.png

#20 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Yay for Hornet mines, nay for wonky cloaking, IMO.

• Defender0 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users