• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Also, the prowler could have reaction thrusters, aka small jets of compressed air or other propellant, that could be used to slow it down or maneuver.

#42 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm sorry but I see no point in the bringing up of Newtons laws. I was stating that prowlers in Halo are known to move slowly because the technology that keeps them invisible from covie sensors cannot compensate for the maximum output of a prowlers engine.

Read My paragraph again, It says that engine can be shut off once the desired speed is reached. 

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#43 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Read My paragraph again, It says that engine can be shut off once the desired speed is reached.

Yes that would happen I'm the real world but in Sins it wouldn't matter at all. Sins, along with practicality every other RTS doesn't have constant movement. Once the target has reached the destination it stops, so the prowler wouldn't keep going with engines off. I still see no relevance in your other paragraph at all.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#44 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

Actually, i think ships in sins decelerate when theyre almost to their destination, im sure i have a video on my youtube channel in sins with ships slowing down like that

#45 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

They definitely fly at varying speeds. Ad fly slower when closer to their way-points.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#46 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

Yes but they don't keep going after they've reached their destination do they.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#47 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I've certainly never seen it, aside from the AI attempting to form some semblance to a fleet. I sort of understand what SPECTRE is saying but it's just needless in a game such as Sins, which hardly pretends to be 100% realistic in any case. (Also, he's slightly wrong in that gravity and very small levels of friction kind of necessitate the use of engines, especially getting away from a planet.)

Throwing my lot in, I'm totally behind the cloaking idea as a concept because of what Canada said, you have to build many many prowlers to get past a desert or terran planet. As an intel-gathering ship, it's remarkably lackluster at the moment. One quick question, doesn't the Vasari phase 'cloak' (not actual cloak, I know) ability render it invulnerable already? I thought that was the point, as long as it has antimatter. Isn't that closer to the idea than just the Diplomatic Immunity or whatever which is just a ceasefire for like sixty seconds?

That said, I know I'm about six hundred versions behind the most up to date one so I'm unaware of any recent changes. I'll be throwing in a pitiful excuse of a request for playtester status once I finish exams and have all the time in the world on my hands. 

#48 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Diplomatic immunity is invuln as well. Same boolovertimeeffect (or whatever it's called) - I'm on my phone at the moment so I can't elaborate fully, but we're pretty sure we know what we'll do about the prowlers now. Me and uni had a good discussion over steam - expect a post in a few outlining it

And I see someone is keeping track of the Dev posts regarding revision numbers...
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#49 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Sure, I was worried by the lack of activity, figured I was probably too late in any case. Look forward to the update!

#50 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ok, so full update here.

The Prowler will be recieving a passive -75% damage reduction in the form of a "Chance to dodge" bonus.
This is to emulate the fact that as it's basically a large fighter, it can maneuver to avoid enemy shots fired at it and has plasma jamming capabilities against the Covenant.
This should allow them to scout *somewhere* near the Vanilla scout distances. It also removes the required micro of having it as an active ability (which would only auto-activate if fired on, which would probably guarantee the prowlers' death anyways)
#define true false

Spoiler

#51 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Another aspect of their stealth that could be integrated is maybe to remove the slidar warning for other players when a prowler enters a gravity well. I have no clue how modding works for this game or if that is even possible, but I know trade ships are (And bless their little phase drives for it) not announced

#52 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Or remove the icon for the prowler so it wont show up in grav wells when seen from high above.

Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.™

#53 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Or remove the icon for the prowler so it wont show up in grav wells when seen from high above.

this doesnt affect the AI

#54 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Another aspect of their stealth that could be integrated is maybe to remove the slidar warning for other players when a prowler enters a gravity well. I have no clue how modding works for this game or if that is even possible, but I know trade ships are (And bless their little phase drives for it) not announced

If you mean notifications, I'm pretty sure that's impossible. And it also probably wouldn't affect the AI either.

#55 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Actually, it sort of does that. It's just a bit buggy from my experience...
#define true false

Spoiler

#56 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Actually, the passive version of mine detection in rebellion makes mine clearing way more annoying. The prowlers wouldnt do it automatically like they currently do. That being said, the range of the ability could use an increase

Bit of a necro, but you could integrate Rebellion's passive mine detection ability with the Prowler's 75% chance to dodge passive, allowing for both auto clearing and full detection.

• Defender0 and Bornstellaris like this

#57 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

Hey, here's an idea: lets have two scout ships! One could be a basic scout ship (you can use the Argo-class) that relies on speed (faster then a Prowler), somewhat better weapons , and slightly heavier hull and armor to survive. Then you have the Prowler which would use  stealth, over speed and weapon strength. 

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#58 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Also, are you guys going to remodel the Prowler? I saw an official illustration of a Prowler and it looks vastly different then the current in-game one.  

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#59 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Also, are you guys going to remodel the Prowler? I saw an official illustration of a Prowler and it looks vastly different then the current in-game one.  

Nope. The SotP prowler looks way better and more believable then the pointy one of Halo lore. The SotP prowler is exactly how I envisioned the prowler looking. It is more practicle with its low sleek design.

Plus the model for the canon prowler would be to big if it was going to look remotely like the canon Prowler.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#60 haseo yashimora

haseo yashimora

Petty Officer Second Class

• Banned
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm starting to lean toward this idea. Prowlers need something.

make then just explorers and take off the guns they have, and there automatic kill box so AI's never target then hence stealth, but they cant fight back only ment to explor, but "players" can kill them point and click only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users