57 replies to this topic

#21 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Intend would be that you replace the old with the new.

I would still like to be able to build both stations in a single gravity well, maybe you use the dual station research like what has been suggested above?  :huh: Or something else, that would make having two stations in a single gravity well doable, but also expensive and/or late in the game?

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#22 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Can someone just explain the point of the Gamma Station to me? I looked it up ok the wiki and it appears to be a comms/ refit station. The second feels far too similar to the anchor station, and the first hints at the defence coordinator, which always seemed like more of a placeholder anyway. My suggestion would be to scrap the idea that it's a separate space station and just replace the defence coordinator with it, give it a major couple of buffs to fleet and structures and make it have an ungodly number of tactical points. Like six or something. Any reason why that's particularly outlandish?

#23 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

Can someone just explain the point of the Gamma Station to me? I looked it up ok the wiki and it appears to be a comms/ refit station. The second feels far too similar to the anchor station, and the first hints at the defence coordinator, which always seemed like more of a placeholder anyway. My suggestion would be to scrap the idea that it's a separate space station and just replace the defence coordinator with it, give it a major couple of buffs to fleet and structures and make it have an ungodly number of tactical points. Like six or something. Any reason why that's particularly outlandish?

namely because Anchors suck for planetary defense... and asteroid field defense... yeah, no...

• Vrishnak92 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#24 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

namely because Anchors suck for planetary defense... and asteroid field defense... yeah, no...

Well it's not like Gamma stations are carrying SMACs.

#25 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

Yeah, but won't the Gamma Station have Archer missiles in the mod?

Posted Image

Now I see fire

#26 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

My point; they don't exactly seem to be particularly designed for combat. I'm unsure as to their actual purpose either in game or in canon?

#27 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

The idea is to really give the UNSC defense options. As many tools as the Covenant are getting to attack and be aggressive, we must give the UNSC tools to be defensive in order to repel the attack and cater to ones own playstyle as well. Rather than just say, X is the best way to defend.

bDNWw7L.png

#28 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

The idea is to really give the UNSC defense options. As many tools as the Covenant are getting to attack and be aggressive, we must give the UNSC tools to be defensive in order to repel the attack and cater to ones own playstyle as well. Rather than just say, X is the best way to defend.

Ah, I see your point. So the issue with my suggestion is it means we basically shoehorn people into only using SMACs or fleets? I see where you're coming from now.

#29 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

we want stations, SMACs, and fleets to be apart of your defense. Really UNSC offense is just you throwing your ships out there in a rag tag mix fleet when your opponent wasted his fleet on your defenses. Its that WWI style attrition fight where you take a passive aggressive defense and once your opponent rushes your trench enough times to have disproportionate casualties, you tell your guys in your trench to go over there and tip them over. So two stations would allow something to specialize in fighters and combat support while the other would specialize in other types of support. Also two stations in a grav well would show how serious your opponent is to wanting that point. You jump a fleet into a system with 1 SMAC station and a charon then you know they obviously are spending money elsewhere. You jump into another armed with 10 SMACS, 40 ship fleet, and two stations? Now you know he has something important there.

bDNWw7L.png

#30 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Or you know what to bypass if it's not a choke point.... But that is besides the point. We have to give the UNSC player more options on defense specifically in larger gravity wells asteroids are the best spot for the UNSC but they need options for other ones.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#31 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Couldnt you give gamma station class stations Mark 2488 Magnetic Accelerator Cannon defenses?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#32 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Dude, English (for us plebs). You mean Onagers?

#33 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Dude, English (for us plebs). You mean Onagers?

Yes the onagers.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#34 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

Yes the onagers.

I'm not sure if they're implemented as a weapon type yet (like MACs or archers) but I don't see why that couldn't happen. Could even just be a low-powered MAC (I know that's what it technically is). Only issue is does it actually have them? I ask because my Halo knowledge outside the games and wiki is lacking, you seem to know your stuff.

#35 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Only issue is does it actually have them? I ask because my Halo knowledge outside the games and wiki is lacking, you seem to know your stuff.

Unknown, gamma station doesn't look like it was certainly built with combat in mind, and seeing as how it had an ONi prowler docked shows it was probably just some orbital station, most likely comms, looks like it has many transmission and reception towers. But if you look in the very most bottom left segment before it starts bending away again, it looks like a Docked SMAC orbital emplacement. other than that Onagers could be there but its not really that detailed.

Gamma_Station_Space_Dock.JPG

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#36 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Heaven forbid we go against lore and put guns on a station that's operated by the military. :rolleyes: Come on guys, it's reference material for a game asset. It shares a similar name but it obviously won't be used the same way. Otherwise, whats the point of having two buff stations?

• shortandpoor and Lavo like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#37 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Couldnt you give gamma station class stations Mark 2488 Magnetic Accelerator Cannon defenses?

Maybe you can add SMAC research for the Gamma station that adds an SMAC, but it should look a last minute addition welded on.

• zaun3694 and SPECTRE like this

Posted Image

Now I see fire

#38 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Heaven forbid we go against lore and put guns on a station that's operated by the military. :rolleyes: Come on guys, it's reference material for a game asset. It shares a similar name but it obviously won't be used the same way. Otherwise, whats the point of having two buff stations?

Pretty much this.

If too many people don't like the name, we might rename it to something... like the.. Theta-station or something... but basically we want a station that can hold its own against a small group of hostile ships.

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#39 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

So it is possible to have two stations to a gravity well? As in it is confirmed? Because that is great.

So the Gamma is going to be named after the one featured in the book but that is where the similarities are going to end. The SotP and canon one will be loosely associated (they are military and used in a defensive way) but we are going to take liberities in the defenses the station actually has (Onagers, Anti Aircraft, Archers, etc.).

Is that generally how the SotP Gamma is going to be done?

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#40 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Call it the omega class orbital emplacement. "the last thing those covvies ever see." could be its quote for when you select it.

• Moustachio86 likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users