131 replies to this topic

#61 Deathscythe1992

Deathscythe1992

Death is the will of the universe, Scythe is Deaths instrument

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOhio, US

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

Personally, I'd love to see this moved over to Rebellion. The entrenchment version is good but rebellion can offer so much more. It would be a waste to work on both versions at the same time. I don't really see the need for the Covenant to be included in an entrenchment releases, most sins players have rebellion anyway.

Alright, I'll step aside if its only me who has that opinion. (I also do not own Rebellion, and I have never played the original version of Entrenchment.  This and Starmade have really pushed me away from being the "hardcore console gamer" that i used to be)

#62 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

I think all coding and things should be dedicated to Rebellion only but when the Covenant ships are finished we put them in the entrenchment version and release them for old times sake.

• sloosecannon likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#63 Fleet ADM. Drian

Fleet ADM. Drian

Waging some sort of War for Terra

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

I feel I should put my 2 cents in, in my personal opinion Rebellion is considerably better than Entrenchment, though I have to say keep working on Entrenchment and once that is finished then move to Rebellion, moving to Rebellion too soon would result in many missing items such as Titans early on making for a not so great experience and postponing a release on Rebellion  while continuing on Entrenchment, would be more releases ,to non-beta testers, to see all the beautiful glassing techniques. I think at least someone will agree with me, though maybe not.

• SternuS likes this

#64 Spartan-117

Spartan-117

Jon

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Wall knowing nothing - AKA England.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

As much as i would love to see the mod for rebellion, i think that we should roll with the team, we always need to bear in mind they take the time out to do this for us and don't get paid for it, we don't pay for it and it is a lot of work for them.

My personal opinion has already been stated here, having the cov mods to play around with in entrenchment while they give the rebellion mod a good going over.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

Either way, im just grateful we have what we do.

• Defender0 likes this

#65 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

ill throw my cents in on what Id like to happen but there is a ton of discussion needed.

Since most of the design plans will mainly bring about changes that are rebellion only it will be hard to implement those changes into entrenchment. The biggest problem are covenant models. While zero works, he has a life too and it takes a long time for this stuff. Stand in models for rebellion will look better due to the actual dynamic lighting and shaders where as in trinity the ship only ahd its texture to look good. So any placeholders we use for rebellion that are ok, might not look good enough for the standard we want in entrenchment and wont be added.

Because of that I would fully support the idea of entrenchment becoming a preview or Alpha of the Rebellion release with some ideas of where we are going with the mod. We could continue to support some graphic or bug patches possibly but this way you might get some new toys while we work on rebellion. This is only my opinion and not official or in any way the actual plan. This will need to be discussed at much higher levels and people who get paid more than i do.

• SternuS likes this

bDNWw7L.png

#66 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I don't know what "throwing in my two cents", I can imagine is some sort of suggestion. Then I'll throw in my two cents.

I have my balls so full of threads about Rebellion release that I swear I'm gonna cry. Pardon me if I'm so ignorant, but from what I've learned lurking in the forums a Rebellion version is a pain the asses of the Mods, because they would need to do all the shit over again. Not being paid from us nor from Microsoft nor from Stardock (or Ironclad or whoever is in charge of Sins). Yes, it has more possibilities to do more beautiful and useful things, alright; but what nonesense is to play another game with barely the same ships from Entrenchment? Because it has better graphics? Are you kidding me? I've seen on this thread particularly that some of the Mods and most of the playtesters support the changeover. Hello? We poor bastards not involved as Mod staff/ Playtesters still haven't tried the Covenant, so maybe we would like to play a little bit like them before having to wait a dozen years to have the Rebellion full release? Obviously, don't get me wrong: a) I'm speaking by myself b-) I'm no coder and I honestly don't know a shit about this stuff c) I can wait even a dozen eras for this Mod d) Probably nobody knows how much am I grateful to the developers for realising my childhood dream.

Why would you even bother with a Rebellion early-release? Are you in a hurry? They already stated they will do a Rebellion release. What do you think, in a month we will be able to play Rebellion with everything perfectly textured, balanced, designed and tested? Again, I don't know, but I'd bet a hundred euros it won't be fully-developed in a month.

TL;DR; Before Rebellion release, I'd like to play as the Covenants. I don't even bother with Forerunners. But, if every Mod says "It's faster and easier and better going with Rebellion", I'm 100% fine with that.

• MrChipps and Deathscythe1992 like this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#67 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Regarding converting to rebellion, the fully automated version of the process (aka, what lavo did for us) took around 8-10 hours... 

and you are absolutely correct, a month would be rushing things, especially considering college starts in a few weeks for many of us

#68 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

I don't know what "throwing in my two cents", I can imagine is some sort of suggestion. Then I'll throw in my two cents.

"To throw in one's two cents," or, "to give one's two cents," is an English idiomatic expression that means, "to give one's opinion on a subject."

• CanadaMan7 and Bornstellaris like this

#69 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

"To throw in one's two cents," or, "to give one's two cents," is an English idiomatic expression that means, "to give one's opinion on a subject."

Yup that's pretty much what I imagined.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#70 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

I guess something should be cleared up regarding the Rebellion version. At the time of conversion, it ported over 100% of all abilities, ships, research, etc. Nothing was "lost" in the conversion, save the UI, and other than it nothing has to be redone at the current point in time.

I feel I should put my 2 cents in, in my personal opinion Rebellion is considerably better than Entrenchment, though I have to say keep working on Entrenchment and once that is finished then move to Rebellion, moving to Rebellion too soon would result in many missing items such as Titans early on making for a not so great experience and postponing a release on Rebellion  while continuing on Entrenchment, would be more releases ,to non-beta testers, to see all the beautiful glassing techniques. I think at least someone will agree with me, though maybe not.

You do realize that if work on Entrenchment continues to that extent, that someone would have to convert a hell of a lot of files to Rebellion.

#71 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

You do realize that if work on Entrenchment continues to that extent, that someone would have to convert a hell of a lot of files to Rebellion.

Or we update both simultaniously.

After consideration, I'm fine with going straight for Rebellion or updating both.

Don't read this signature.

#72 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Or we update both simultaniously.

After consideration, I'm fine with going straight for Rebellion or updating both.

Again if we decided to use a feature in Rebellion, we kinda get screwed here.

Which we already have.

#73 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

Concentrate efforts on one version or risk two subpar versions. Rebellion has a larger player base and better features, concentrate on Rebellion.

I am in support of releasing the Covenant for Entrenchment when the models are done but that is all that should be done for Entrenchment.

• 11cng likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#74 Deathscythe1992

Deathscythe1992

Death is the will of the universe, Scythe is Deaths instrument

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOhio, US

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Concentrate efforts on one version or risk two subpar versions. Rebellion has a larger player base and better features, concentrate on Rebellion.

I am in support of releasing the Covenant for Entrenchment when the models are done but that is all that should be done for Entrenchment.

What else was even planned for Entrenchment?  That sounds like all that was really needed right?  Maybe that and a couple tweaks to the powers of the respective sides after everyone gets their hands on it.  May find a couple more OP strategies you guys didnt...

#75 jon1997

jon1997

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

throwing in my two cents.

I dont have rebellion due to money issues and i only have original sins and entrenchment. therefor i believe that if you were to move straight onto rebellion it would screw over parts of your fanbase which would be a shame considering how good the mod is.

even if you only release covenant and not the flood, we would still be forever grateful 

keep up the good work

• Deathscythe1992 likes this

#76 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

throwing in my two cents.

I dont have rebellion due to money issues and i only have original sins and entrenchment. therefor i believe that if you were to move straight onto rebellion it would screw over parts of your fanbase which would be a shame considering how good the mod is.

even if you only release covenant and not the flood, we would still be forever grateful 

keep up the good work

I'm in the same boat bro, but the fact is most people have Rebellion, and we'd be selfishly killing the mod's success by holding it back.

#77 shortandpoor

shortandpoor

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

It's probably already been said but a lot of time and effort is put into this mod, maybe there should be a poll to see how many have rebellion verses entrenchment or how many want to switch but obviously two version means twice as much work, more time spent on it, time that people may not have or be willing to invest, especially with college coming up.

I don't like choosing sides but I say go for rebellion. If I didn't have it I would do something to get it, hell I'd have a yard sale and save up enough to buy it. If I knew this was going to be on rebellion it would be a no brainer and I would instabuy.

#78 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

I'm in the same boat bro, but the fact is most people have Rebellion, and we'd be selfishly killing the mod's success by holding it back.

Just the Covenant.

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#79 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Just the Covenant.

No point in negotiating with me, I'm not the one making the decision.

#80 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Just the Covenant.

Biggest problem with that is the fact that we'd be waiting a while.

As is right now, we have placeholder models that look fairly decent in rebellion. That gives us the option to release and both frees us from waiting on Zero and keeps us from pressuring him - he can take as long as he wants to make the textures he gives us perfect and not hold up the release.
In Entrenchment, these benefits are gone as they stem from how rebellion displays the models.

I can almost guarantee that we will have another entrenchment release, probably with covenant. But we still are probably going to shift most of the focus to rebellion.
  • Dianno5741 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users