Forerunner too OP?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

at this time, forerunner cruisers outrange MACs, and do severe damage. A halcyon wouldnt stand a chance

Defender you're arguements are saying anything that is plausible is false on this. It is quite easy to steal forerunner ships when the other players aren't paying attention. 

It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#22 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Defender you're arguements are saying anything that is plausible is false on this. It is quite easy to steal forerunner ships when the other players aren't paying attention. 

ok, capturing a single vanguard in a wormhole is one thing for a Halcyon refit. What about capturing a vanguard in the middle of a forerunner battlegroup?

#23 Normon

Normon

High Commander of the Fleet of Unholy Fire

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts
  • LocationThe cartographer.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Have more refits and a UNSC battlegroup to boot, these things are possible, just not very likely and if you succeeded at capturing a guardian cruiser...the power at your fingertips would be phenomenal.

• zaun3694 and XtremeRoflcopter like this
Signature? Quotes? Images? Nonsense! Actually, cool quotes are cool. - Me
Primus successus aut totus error. - EOD

#24 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

^ This guy understands the point I'm making here. 

#25 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ok, counter point. lets say you have 5 refit halcyons in your fleet. lets also say your forerunner enemy has 5 guardian cruisers in his fleet, no forerunner capital ships. If that forerunner player micromanages his guardians to attack one refit halcyon each, those halcyons would be toast. the Guardians main weapon has a range of 15000 (for comparison, MACs have a range of 12000) and do 12000 damage. The odds are definitely NOT in your favor.

#26 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Ok, counter point. lets say you have 5 refit halcyons in your fleet. lets also say your forerunner enemy has 5 guardian cruisers in his fleet, no forerunner capital ships. If that forerunner player micromanages his guardians to attack one refit halcyon each, those halcyons would be toast. the Guardians main weapon has a range of 15000 (for comparison, MACs have a range of 12000) and do 12000 damage. The odds are definitely NOT in your favor.

This is irrellevant, I'm arguing that if a player wasn't paying attention to that battle and was instead focusing elsewhere like on a different battle, or building something at another planet, or looking at the research tree.

#27 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

This is irrellevant, I'm arguing that if a player wasn't paying attention to that battle and was instead focusing elsewhere like on a different battle, or building something at another planet, or looking at the research tree.

i dont see how this could happen considering the limited number of cruisers they could be able to build. you would have to be incredibly stupid to lose a cruiser to boarding parties

#28 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

That may be so, but no one is looking away from their map for long

• Defender0 likes this

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#29 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

That may be so, but no one is looking away from their map for long

You never know man. I've done it before, it ain't easy since like defender enjoys to point out, forerunners are incrediably powerful, but that doesn't mean its impossible. 

#30 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

You never know man. I've done it before, it ain't easy since like defender enjoys to point out, forerunners are incrediably powerful, but that doesn't mean its impossible. 

That's you though, it doesn't represent anything but the lack of your strategy and gameplay

• Defender0 likes this

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#31 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

That's you though, it doesn't represent anything but the lack of your strategy and gameplay

It represents the fact that it is possible to do so. Regardless of this discussion we are starting to veer off track of the thread.

#32 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

It represents the fact that it is possible to do so. Regardless of this discussion we are starting to veer off track of the thread.

Ok, yes it is possible, but it's a very very long chance you will be able without getting buttraped by the Forerunners

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#33 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Ok, yes it is possible, but it's a very very long chance you will be able without getting buttraped by the Forerunners

Did I not say that already? 

Yup definitely did, not with the same words but I still said it. 

#34 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Yes, but it would only work, with a small amount of Forerunners ships, with an entire fleet, there's basically no chance, especially when a player is in command.

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#35 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yes, but it would only work, with a small amount of Forerunners ships, with an entire fleet, there's basically no chance, especially when a player is in command.

Example..ships that are being built and are heading to a rally point in a gravity well as soon as they are built leaving them vulnerable. Simply send in a large enough force to raise hell and steal a cruiser while it is travelling across a grav well (preferably an uncolonizable one so you dont have to deal with the extra hassle). While the player is focusing the bigger battle in another grav well or star system. 

#36 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

But... the Player can set the ship in the bigger battle to auto-attack and make sure their extra ships get there safely, which is what i do

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#37 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

I would like to point out that a UNSC controlled forerunner ship has a lower "health" pool overall due to the forerunner faction actually utilizing shield mitigation. a forerunner controlled vanguard will take only 60% of the damage dealt to it compared to a UNSC captured vanguard, due to the 40% shield mitigation.

#38 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

I got something to point out. This debate/theory crafting/whatever is pointless and irrelevant to both sides. There is no forerunner faction that is even CLOSE to being what id consider playable therefore we dont know what could and could not be possible. While the forerunners will be powerful, I will also design the forerunners to be susceptible to all fleets and abilities. As for now, they are horrendously imbalanced due to the ever changing nature that is the UNSC-Covenant. When we hit Phase III where UNSC Cov is finalized and the forerunners begin we will begin a debate like this and even test it out.

bDNWw7L.png

#39 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

An ancestor of mine maintained that when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Destroying a cruiser with an Halcyon is impossible. Boarding it, however improbable, is possible.

End of the story.

• CanadaMan7, Emberblaque, Normon and 7 others like this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#40 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

An ancestor of mine maintained that when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.Destroying a cruiser with an Halcyon is impossible. Boarding it, however improbable, is possible. End of the story.

Why can't I like this more than once?
  • Emberblaque and zaun3694 like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users