200 replies to this topic

#81 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Anyone want to hook me up with Admin? Got a few choice additions and some general image clean-up for the wiki.

yLM4TEk.png

#82 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Anyone want to hook me up with Admin? Got a few choice additions and some general image clean-up for the wiki.

Done.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#83 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Made a small change to the Orion page to help with tenses and removed 'decimate' as it you can't technically decimate one ship. 

Few spelling and grammar (henceforth S&G) tweaks to the Charon page. 

Valiant, Phoenix, Athens, Thermopylae, Refit Halcyon all S&G.

Kind of unhappy with 'be all and end all' description for the Thermopylae, doesn't the Infinity kind of fill this role (eventually...).

• Unikraken likes this

#84 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Well Infinity ain't in so for now it is.

#85 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Am I authorized to correct some grammatical or typo errors when I find them?

EDIT: Line of site? Or line of sight? A testament to the crafts usefulness etc, or AS testament to the crafts etc.? ->Hermes

I would be happy to give you permission if you weren't still learning the language. If you make lists and post them here, I'd be happy to correct them. You can also attempt to suggest corrections yourself and I'll correct those suggestions. To be honest, it'll probably make for very good English practice, if you're up for it.

Line of sight is correct. In this context, "As testament to the craft's usefulness," is correct. Be certain to note that the word "crafts" is now in the possessive case and the singular number and has been rewritten as the word "craft's." The plural number would also be acceptable, but I would expect it to be used less often in this context. To refer to it in the possessive plural would imply that we were referring to every ship of that class ever constructed, whereas to refer to it in the possessive singular would imply that we were referring to the abstract concept of the ship, that is, the design that all ships of that class share and that exists independently of any particular ship.

I know that was oddly detailed, but when I'm learning language I really love for all of the subtlety to be explicitly stated. Part of learning language is learning how and when you can mix things up, so to speak.

"[...]a.k.a Sabre was designed exclusively for vacuum combat in mind and was still in the prototype faze..."

1- vacuum combat in mind...not sure what does this mean;

2-I changed faze with phase, but was that intentional? Maybe it was disturbing to think that it still was a prototype? I don't know...

I would imagine when they say vacuum combat, they mean combat in vacuum, i. e. outer space. That is, it was not designed as an atmospheric fighter. I would simply replace it with "space combat."

Phase is correct. Faze is a verb, whereas phase is a noun.

• SternuS likes this

#86 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I would be happy to give you permission if you weren't still learning the language. If you make lists and post them here, I'd be happy to correct them. You can also attempt to suggest corrections yourself and I'll correct those suggestions. To be honest, it'll probably make for very good English practice, if you're up for it.

Line of sight is correct. In this context, "As testament to the craft's usefulness," is correct. Be certain to note that the word "crafts" is now in the possessive case and the singular number and has been rewritten as the word "craft's." The plural number would also be acceptable, but I would expect it to be used less often in this context. To refer to it in the possessive plural would imply that we were referring to every ship of that class ever constructed, whereas to refer to it in the possessive singular would imply that we were referring to the abstract concept of the ship, that is, the design that all ships of that class share and that exists independently of any particular ship.

I know that was oddly detailed, but when I'm learning language I really love for all of the subtlety to be explicitly stated. Part of learning language is learning how and when you can mix things up, so to speak.

I would imagine when they say vacuum combat, they mean combat in vacuum, i.e. outer space. That is, it was not designed as an atmospheric fighter. I would simply replace it with "space combat."

Worth noting, I believe he's fixing those mistakes actually... at least that's my interpretation of his posts lol.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#87 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Worth noting, I believe he's fixing those mistakes actually... at least that's my interpretation of his posts lol.

Eh, he'll see this eventually. The wiki isn't exactly top priority, either; if he makes a few bad corrections, that's acceptable. We'll catch 'em.

#88 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

I was and have been using vacuum instead of space combat, yes.
Either works I suppose.
SternuS just be sure they are mistakes before changing. Or do what Ember said and post them here.

Also tense do need changing. I have kind of alternated between past and present for some pages.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#89 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

I would imagine when they say vacuum combat, they mean combat in vacuum, i. e. outer space. That is, it was not designed as an atmospheric fighter. I would simply replace it with "space combat."

Clear enough. My concern about "vacuum combat in mind" wasn't about "vacuum combat", but about "in mind". "The YSS-1000 a.k.a Sabre was designed exclusively for vacuum combat in mind and was still in the prototype phase on Reach when the Covenant invaded." I believe that "in mind" is useless because you already stated that it was designed, thus it was in the mind of its creators.

I was and have been using vacuum instead of space combat, yes.
Either works I suppose.
SternuS just be sure they are mistakes before changing. Or do what Ember said and post them here.

Also tense do need changing. I have kind of alternated between past and present for some pages.

From now on I will post the entire correction and explanation, I hope I'll improve my grammar/synthax.

• Unikraken likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#90 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

The Covenant was formed after the signing of the 'Writ of Union' by the Covenant's two founding races, the San 'Shyuum and the Sangheili. After this event in 852 BC the Covenant quickly became a fearsome military might annihilating or converting any species it came upon for almost 3 millennium before they met a match. By the time of first contact in 2524 with humanity the Covenant contained at least 8 different species. But unlike most species the Covenant found humanity was a foe not only willing to fight to the point of near-extinction but also a enemy whose very existence could call into question the Covenant's most basis religious tenets. The Covenant was held together by a religious belief of the Forerunners, a race they believed to have transcended existence by going on the 'Great Journey', and a goal to follow the Forerunners on this Journey. Humanity however could cast doubt on these beliefs by being identified as 'Reclaimers' by Covenant and Forerunner technology. This would mean there was a link between forerunners and human and could threaten the belief that the forerunners were gods and threaten the personnel power of the San 'Shyumm, the leader caste of the Covenant.

Who writes these up? This should be more than one paragraph since it moves from founding to discovery of humanity to their religious beliefs - three different subjects in one paragraph doesn't make sense. I mean not to be rude or anything, but we should all be in highschool I hope and I learned how to write paragraphs in 7th grade... intro, subject, supporting details, conclusion... this is just a mess, as like most of the other pages.

Also whats with the ridiculously colored and embossed logos on the front page?

And this? YSS-1000 a.k.a Sabre? Why not just YSS-1000 Sabre... omg I can't...

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#91 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

In my tweaks I've been going with present. Tell me that's right?

#92 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

Clear enough. My concern about "vacuum combat in mind" wasn't about "vacuum combat", but about "in mind". "The YSS-1000 a.k.a Sabre was designed exclusively for vacuum combat in mind and was still in the prototype phase on Reach when the Covenant invaded." I believe that "in mind" is useless because you already stated that it was designed, thus it was in the mind of its creators.

Ah, I didn't realize. I agree, "in mind," seems redundant.

Canada photoshopped them.

#93 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

Who writes these up? This should be more than one paragraph since it moves from founding to discovery of humanity to their religious beliefs - three different subjects in one paragraph doesn't make sense. I mean not to be rude or anything, but we should all be in highschool I hope and I learned how to write paragraphs in 7th grade... intro, subject, supporting details, conclusion... this is just a mess, as like most of the other pages.

And this? YSS-1000 a.k.a Sabre? Why not just YSS-1000 Sabre... omg I can't...

You can add paragraphs if you so feel inclined to. The time it probably took to write this you could of just fixed it.

Canadaman added the logos, the are an improvement over the old ones.

Do you mean why is it 'a.k.a' or why isn't it just YSS-1000 Sabre? Because its official name isn't Sabre is the reason, it is just called that, like the warthog.

Spoiler

#94 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

Added a line in the UNSC bio just mentioning that we you do have ground invasions as a bombardment method.

I'm thinking the UNSC history/lore/backstory should be in a different... er... subcategory(?!) than the gameplay features. I don't know how to do that but I think it would look neater. Also that image is great but the text looks a little messy because of it. 

Edit: Ha, 'you', not 'we'. Delusions of grandeur start young. 

#95 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

Added a line in the UNSC bio just mentioning that we you do have ground invasions as a bombardment method.

I'm thinking the UNSC history/lore/backstory should be in a different... er... subcategory(?!) than the gameplay features. I don't know how to do that but I think it would look neater. Also that image is great but the text looks a little messy because of it. 

Edit: Ha, 'you', not 'we'. Delusions of grandeur start young. 

http://sinsofasolare...ia.com/wiki/TEC

You mean like that?

Spoiler

#96 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:15 AM

Definitely that design ultimately but I was meaning a more basic split just to differentiate between official history and 'what the mod features' stuff. To whet the masses' proverbial palate.

#97 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:19 AM

Definitely that design ultimately but I was meaning a more basic split just to differentiate between official history and 'what the mod features' stuff. To whet the masses' proverbial palate.

If you want to write a history that long for the UNSC do it, I have some ideas on how to fill the spare space...

Spoiler

#98 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

If you want to write a history that long for the UNSC do it, I have some ideas on how to fill the spare space...

Yeah, sure. I'll have a crack at it when I have a free hour or two, am I alright to lift a fair bit from other sources (I'm looking at you, Halo wiki...) or is there a copyright/ownership issue? I'm not talking copy and paste but close to it.

#99 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

Yeah, sure. I'll have a crack at it when I have a free hour or two, am I alright to lift a fair bit from other sources (I'm looking at you, Halo wiki...) or is there a copyright/ownership issue? I'm not talking copy and paste but close to it.

I don't know if you were asking me or just in general but I am pretty sure content usage wise all the wikias are linked. Don't just copy paste but I don't think it'd be a problem if they are very similar.

Spoiler

#100 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

You can add paragraphs if you so feel inclined to. The time it probably took to write this you could of just fixed it.

Canadaman added the logos, the are an improvement over the old ones.

Do you mean why is it 'a.k.a' or why isn't it just YSS-1000 Sabre? Because its official name isn't Sabre is the reason, it is just called that, like the warthog.

I don't have an account but in all honesty, this Wiki is a reflection of the hard work that has gone into the mod, so I would think the entries would be more professional and thought out.

I don't know what the old logos look like, but the multi-colors and uneven shading looks tacky against the drab color scheme of the wiki. It's the only colorful spot on the page aside from the header and it draws the attention of the reader/viewer directly to them. The glow doesn't help either, especially when it's just cut off at the side of the images. Just saying.

Okay but you could just leave it as the YSS-1000 then. The a.k.a. Sabre part is really unneeded and in the description it should just be stated that pilots call it the Sabre. Though idk how Sabre isn't the official name when the ONI project is called the Sabre Program... To clarify further, though it holds no bearing on the discussion, the M12 is named the Warthog. People call it the Warthog because that's its name, it's not some type of nickname someone came up with one day...

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users