#101 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

Okay but you could just leave it as the YSS-1000 then. The a.k.a. Sabre part is really unneeded and in the description it should just be stated that pilots call it the Sabre. Though idk how Sabre isn't the official name when the ONI project is called the Sabre Program...

I put a.k.a in because the average Joe wouldn't know what a 'YSS-1000' is and probably wouldn't click on the link.

YSS-1000 , YSS-1000. Unless you were stating, canon wise, how perplexing it is that Bungie called the craft 'YSS-1000' instead of 'Sabre' when the project was called 'Sabre'. Then yes, it is quite perplexing.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#102 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

I put a.k.a in because the average Joe wouldn't know what a 'YSS-1000' is and probably wouldn't click on the link.

YSS-1000 , YSS-1000. Unless you were stating, canon wise, how perplexing it is that Bungie called the craft 'YSS-1000' instead of 'Sabre' when the project was called 'Sabre'. Then yes, it is quite perplexing.

But Bungie did call the YSS-1000 a Sabre? Idk what you're trying to say honestly because the YSS-1000 is the product and the name is Sabre. Also one of those you linked referred to it as the YSS-1000 Sabre so really the links don't help, not that I'm uncapable of looking it up myself to do research into the subject (hint the first link is outdated, too). What I'm getting at is that you have GA-TL1 Longsword but YSS-1000 aka Sabre. Why not GA-TL1 aka Longsword? Or vice versa?

Also on the subject of the Longsword, where did this come from? "The ships title, GA-TL, was taken from the abbreviation of the crafts designers, Gov Auckland and Thomas Levesque." Is that something someone made up? The Longsword also comes equipped stock with 50mm cannons, 110mm cannon is incorrect though they could be outfitted with them, as well as the 120mm turret.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#103 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

But Bungie did call the YSS-1000 a Sabre? Idk what you're trying to say honestly because the YSS-1000 is the product and the name is Sabre. Also one of those you linked referred to it as the YSS-1000 Sabre so really the links don't help, not that I'm uncapable of looking it up myself to do research into the subject (hint the first link is outdated, too). What I'm getting at is that you have GA-TL1 Longsword but YSS-1000 aka Sabre. Why not GA-TL1 aka Longsword? Or vice versa?

Same here, as in I don't know what we are arguing about.

In my tweaks I've been going with present. Tell me that's right?

I honestly don't know. I was alternating because the history was talking about things getting designed and then talks about how effective it is so the tenses kind of got mixed in with each other.

Spoiler

#104 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

Same here, as in I don't know what we are arguing about.

Why it says aka Sabre and not just YSS-1000 Sabre as it should... and furthermore the Longsword should be named GA-TL1 Longsword or C712-class Interceptor since GA-TL1 is the model and C712, the version the model is based on, is the class.

Hehe... I think it's funny you've based all your entries off Halo Nation when Halopedia is updated more frequently and more accurately. The Halo Nation Longsword article doesn't even note that in the Halo Reach manual, Longswords come stock with 50mm cannon and that the 110mm guns and 120mm turrets are optional/upgrades.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#105 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

Why it says aka Sabre and not just YSS-1000 Sabre as it should... and furthermore the Longsword should be named GA-TL1 Longsword or C712-class Interceptor...

Didn't you just says you didn't know?
C712-class Interceptor? Remember that whole average Joe thing? And it would still be called C712 Longsword-class Interceptor as C712 is a variant and not a separate design.

Spoiler

#106 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

"The ships title, GA-TL, was taken from the abbreviation of the crafts designers, Gov Auckland and Thomas Levesque."

It says that in the Halo visual guide.

Spoiler

#107 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

Didn't you just says you didn't know?
C712-class Interceptor? Remember that whole average Joe thing? And it would still be called C712 Longsword-class Interceptor as C712 is a variant and not a separate design.

I said I don't know what point you're trying to make with the whole aka thing. I mean by your logic the Longsword should say GA-TL1 aka Longsword, but it doesn't. Furthermore, yes the C712 is a separate design, it looks nothing like the C709 and is a sub-class to the GA-TL1 model. GA-TL1 is the class of interceptor/strike fighter just like YSS-1000 is the class name of the anti-ship space plane, but the former is called the Longsword and the latter is called the Sabre. So saying Longsword-class Interceptor is just as wrong as saying YSS-1000 aka Sabre. I mean you might as well either say Longsword-class Interceptor instead of GA-TL1 ... because your "Average Joe" won't give two shits about that part much like how it should say Sabre-class Fighter or  say GA-TL1 aka Longsword just like the YSS-1000 aka Sabre.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#108 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

I said I don't know what point you're trying to make with the whole aka thing. I mean by your logic the Longsword should say GA-TL1 aka Longsword, but it doesn't. Furthermore, yes the C712 is a separate design, it looks nothing like the C709 and is a sub-class to the GA-TL1 model. GA-TL1 is the class of interceptor/strike fighter just like YSS-1000 is the class name of the anti-ship space plane, but the former is called the Longsword and the latter is called the Sabre. So saying Longsword-class Interceptor is just as wrong as saying YSS-1000 aka Sabre. I mean you might as well either say Longsword-class Interceptor instead of GA-TL1 ... because your "Average Joe" won't give two shits about that part much like how it should say Sabre-class Fighter or  say GA-TL1 aka Longsword just like the YSS-1000 aka Sabre.

Ok.

Edit:
"Designation: GA-TL1 Interceptor/ Strike fighter", "While some Longswords, like the C709...", "like the C712...", "Because the GA-TL1 is such an extremely flexible vehicle, even these variations are not set in stone," -Halo: The Essential Visual Guide.
"There are multiple variants of the GA-TL1 Longsword that are designed to perform specific functions, such as the C708, the C709, and the C712.", "The cockpit of a C709 Longsword." - halopedia.com
"GA-TL1 Longsword-class Interceptor" -Halo Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Halo Universe
C712 = Variant
GA-TL1 Longsword-class Interceptor is the official designation.

I called it YSS-1000 because that is what it is refered to as from multiple source all with this similar quote,
"YSS-1000 Prototype Anti-Ship Spaceplane, commonly known as the Sabre," -halopedia.org
"The YSS-1000, usually referred to as the Sabre,"
"Designation: YSS-1000 Prototype Anti-Ship Spaceplane" -Halo: The Essential Visual guide.
"The YSS-1000, or Sabre," -Halo Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Halo Universe
Sabre = Colloquial name
I then decided, once landing on YSS-1000, that that name might confuse some and so I decided to add a.k.a to it to make it clear for those without very good knowledge on the subject.

Hehe... I think it's funny you've based all your entries off Halo Nation when Halopedia is updated more frequently and more accurately. The Halo Nation Longsword article doesn't even note that in the Halo Reach manual, Longswords come stock with 50mm cannon and that the 110mm guns and 120mm turrets are optional/upgrades.

Also one of those you linked referred to it as the YSS-1000 Sabre so really the links don't help.

In fact the only place it is called YSS-1000 Sabre is in 'Sabre Program' and as the page header for 'YSS-1000' articles on halopedia.com. "YSS-1000 "Sabre"-class starfighter". And even that has double quotation marks, mostly likely in this context meaning signifying, "a nickname embedded in an actual name, or a false or ironic title embedded in an actual title." -wikipedia.org. halo.wikia doesn't rerference the Reach manual but does infact reference both the Halo Encyclopedia and the Visual Guide.

Also I changed the a.k.a almost immediately after you first post, because I am open to suggestion, even if it is passive aggressive and some what insulting, and then increasingly insulting and aggressive and less passive.
Spoiler

#109 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

This is why I am not even touching all that lore. My job is the statistics of this mod and unit behaviors that's it.

Also Kheva run your damn articles through a word program or something. 

I swear, I am going to be spending the majority of the time fixing grammar and spelling.

#110 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

Well whatever man, you do what you feel is right I suppose. It's just a form factor type thing in the spreadsheet I guess. I was just looking at the Halo Reach manual and it said GA-TL1 - Longsword and YSS-1000 - Sabre, so clearly they're both on terms with each other in the form of labeling nomenclature as far as Bungie is concerned.

Also if you took offense to my critique about the paragraphs and such, that's your problem. The mod is made with professionalism, the wiki should be no different.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#111 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

Also if you took offense to my critique about the paragraphs and such, that's your problem. The mod is made with professionalism, the wiki should be no different.

Don't even try to play that card, don't even try.

This is why I am not even touching all that lore. My job is the statistics of this mod and unit behaviors that's it.

Also Kheva run your damn articles through a word program or something. 
I swear, I am going to be spending the majority of the time fixing grammar and spelling.

The wiki isn't exactly top priority, either; if he makes a few bad corrections, that's acceptable. We'll catch 'em.

Instead of coming here and posting every time you find a mistake you could just, you know, fix it. I have edited some of the stuff you put up and haven't bitched about it every single time.
Spoiler

#112 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

Please.... Kheva do a grammar check before editing... 

"meant mainly for ferry supplies"

Also why did you change weapons and put "Who needs AAA" in the Paris Frigate section? Also the AAA isn't weaker on the Paris. The Paris has some of the strongest AAA that isn't a Mako.

The problem is that the mistakes are so prominent. That it's literally in every article.

#113 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

Contrary to popular belief, many hands apparently makes for one giant clusterf*ck of abuse and ranting, calm it down a tone guys. 

Also, I had something to do with the AAA section. I edited but left it in (didn't know it had higher AAA, I thought the Paris' trade-off was better MAC for less AAA), so it's not entirely his fault. That said, the edits I made were primarily S&G so the first point does stand. 

#114 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:41 AM

Please.... Kheva do a grammar check before editing... 
"meant mainly for ferry supplies"
Also why did you change weapons and put "Who needs AAA" in the Paris Frigate section? Also the AAA isn't weaker on the Paris. The Paris has some of the strongest AAA that isn't a Mako.

I didn't put that there.
"Revision as of 23:13, September 16, 2013 (edit)
174.102.35.171 (wall | block)"
Spoiler

#115 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Don't even try to play that card, don't even try.

I'm not playing a card. It's the YSS-1000 Sabre, that's the name just like the GA-TL1 Longsword and the F-41 Broadsword and the B-65 Shortword. Just because it says "Commonly referred to as..." doesn't mean it's colloquial. If that were the case, every vehicle in the UNSC is referred colloquially to its designated name, which doesn't make any sense. Your quote evidence doesn't even back you up because it says the same shit on the Longsword page as well as every other vehicle page be it space, air or ground. But I mean whatever, I've already put too much effort into this, it's just fucking stupid and I'm done. I don't give a shit about the wiki to be honest, was just peeved that every page has some terrible description with many grammar mistakes and looks to be written with the comprehension of a 6th grader with no paragraph sentence structure and random ideas just thrown into an article. And honestly if you get offended, that's your problem because I just insulted everyone who has contributed to the wiki and not just you. Good day sir.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#116 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Oh great...

And for once I have to agree with Zero. The articles are seriously all over the damn place.

#117 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

Good day sir.

Good bye friendo.

Oh great...
And for once I have to agree with Zero. The articles are seriously all over the damn place.

Do you mean on the wikia or the longsword articles? Because that is Halo lore, Halo lore is all over the place.
Spoiler

#118 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Christ, that's mature. Look guys, the Wiki has been up for like, a week. It has to start somewhere. Kheva or WHOEVER is editing may not have the best grammar in the world but if they're prepared to put in the effort to write the crap, I'm prepared to spend time polishing it. As are other people. The way it's being done at the moment is actually very efficient; it saves a lot of time and means people do what they can, when they can, while the net result is a gradual improvement. The downside is it starts off a bit shabby, I know. But if some random kid arrives at the site, takes one look at it and say 'OH, he put 'ferry' instead of 'ferrying', these guys must be w*nkers, I won't play this mod', then that's a poor outcome and his loss. But the vast majority of the fanbase will be aware this is a work in progress, they've waited three months since the last release, they'll wait a little longer for a wiki that is word-perfect.

As to the issue of naming, someone higher up has to be arbiter. Both arguments are based on different sources; in essence, it seems not even Bungie knows what the case is. I will not take shit for saying this, the argument has already taken up a page and a half an gone nowhere. Ask Uni or Canada or someone what the official word is and the loser can be gracious. 

• KhevaKins likes this

#119 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

Christ, that's mature. Look guys, the Wiki has been up for like, a week. It has to start somewhere. Kheva or WHOEVER is editing may not have the best grammar in the world but if they're prepared to put in the effort to write the crap, I'm prepared to spend time polishing it. As are other people. The way it's being done at the moment is actually very efficient; it saves a lot of time and means people do what they can, when they can, while the net result is a gradual improvement. The downside is it starts off a bit shabby, I know. But if some random kid arrives at the site, takes one look at it and say 'OH, he put 'ferry' instead of 'ferrying', these guys must be w*nkers, I won't play this mod', then that's a poor outcome and his loss. But the vast majority of the fanbase will be aware this is a work in progress, they've waited three months since the last release, they'll wait a little longer for a wiki that is word-perfect.

As to the issue of naming, someone higher up has to be arbiter. Both arguments are based on different sources; in essence, it seems not even Bungie knows what the case is. I will not take shit for saying this, the argument has already taken up a page and a half an gone nowhere. Ask Uni or Canada or someone what the official word is and the loser can be gracious.

Well said and I am prepared to drop it if everyone else is, I don't hold grudges.
If people want to keep relating the wikia to the mod then what is a very common line from modders? "It is a work in progress and it will get better."
  • Moustachio86 likes this
Spoiler

#120 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

Okay but you could just leave it as the YSS-1000 then. The a.k.a. Sabre part is really unneeded and in the description it should just be stated that pilots call it the Sabre. Though idk how Sabre isn't the official name when the ONI project is called the Sabre Program... To clarify further, though it holds no bearing on the discussion, the M12 is named the Warthog. People call it the Warthog because that's its name, it's not some type of nickname someone came up with one day...

He is right Kheva.... Those designations go with the name given to the vehicle or piece of hardware. Think "M1A2 Abrams" or the "M2A3 Bradley" you have the model number first followed by the vehicle name. The same can be seen with in the UNSC. For example, the M808 Scorpion and  the M850 Grizzly. The same rule applies to strikecraft/interceptors. Again, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Fighting Falcon, Su-35 Flanker-E... For Halo you have the YSS-1000 Sabre, the GA-TL1 Longsword, B-65 Shortsword, and F-41 Broadsword. That is how human militaries and the UNSC both identify their equipment. They give it a model number so it can easily be cataloged and then give it a name for easy identification by their soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines. 

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users