• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

#1 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

Will there be any Halo installations in future releases?  I really liked the forerunner slipspace portals, and it would be cool to have some sort of Halo.  I know there's been discussion of adding shield worlds, but I think it would be fitting for a Halo mod to have a Halo.  I am new to the mod, so please forgive me if this discussion has occurred several times before.

• Bornstellaris likes this

#2 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

The rings have historically been unlikely to be implemented, in part due to size issues. They are much larger than ships but much smaller than planets which, given the already questionable scale of Sins of a Solar Empire, can create subtle problems. That said, I believe it is not out of the question that they may appear as the 'artefact world' in Rebellion's victory conditions. 

In short, there is currently no solid answer (to the best of my knowledge) but it is unlikely. If it does happen, it will not be for a while. 

Oh, and welcome to the Mod. Enjoy your stay. Don't be afraid of the more colourful characters, they all mean well.

• Unikraken, CanadaMan7, Emberblaque and 2 others like this

#3 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Happy to be here.  Perhaps the rings could be placed in close orbit to enlarged gas giants (which they're always nearby anyway).  The bigger planet it's orbiting would make it look small, but still pretty big in comparison to ships.

#4 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

That is a point that has been raised, I think it has quite a bit of merit. I can't say I know any more than I've said already.

#5 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

I was hoping the Halo would be used as a Super Weapon for the Forerunners, but seeing as their ships are basically Super weapons, i don't see that ever happening, but they could be used as scenery in-game.

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#6 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

Superweapons don't have much of a place in SotP. They were in vanilla Sins to break late-game stalemates and we try to do everything we can to stop stalemates in the first place.

#7 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Superweapons don't have much of a place in SotP. They were in vanilla Sins to break late-game stalemates and we try to do everything we can to stop stalemates in the first place.

Make it end game thing so if a stalemate does occur, and no one wins, make it something that destroys everything and makes everyone lose in the game ahahaah, if that's possible

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#8 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Make it end game thing so if a stalemate does occur, and no one wins, make it something that destroys everything and makes everyone lose in the game ahahaah, if that's possible

It simple doesn't occur in SoTP due to the atrocious loss rates. You can't sustain yourself indefinitely to cause a stalemate.

#9 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

The game is designed that there is a 99.999% chance you wont have a stalemate. Someone is gonna break

• Unikraken likes this

bDNWw7L.png

#10 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

If they will be implemented, probably they won't be Halos. They won't annihilate everything, as logic would suggest. And if they can't be used as a mass-murder weapon, their true existence is futile.

Aesthetically, it would be a nice addition, but the most useless thing in the game. As far as I know.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#11 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

The rings have historically been unlikely to be implemented, in part due to size issues. They are much larger than ships but much smaller than planets which, given the already questionable scale of Sins of a Solar Empire, can create subtle problems.

Well if it were placed on a map I would assume they would be scaled to the planets so not to break that already established system.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 Deathscythe1992

Deathscythe1992

Death is the will of the universe, Scythe is Deaths instrument

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOhio, US

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

The rings have historically been unlikely to be implemented, in part due to size issues. 

Actually, I was thinking on this, with a diameter of 10,000 km its pretty close to the size of a terrestrial planet, so I don't really see how the size would be a problem when we already have terrestrials in-game

#13 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

The rings are likely to be the occupation planet, if ANYTHING.

Either that or the minor Ark

#14 spartan-G257

spartan-G257

Gamma Company Recruit

• Contributor
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

umm remind me if I'm wrong but isn't a "small" halo's radius 10,000Km that's planet sized as the earth is only 12,000Km in radius herself never mind the "larger" halo rings (from the trilogy) being 30,000Km

UNSC been beating the covies since 2525
Closed Beta Testing HHF
Hail the Commonwealth of Nations and long live the Queen
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

Ark = Sun (like an extra type of sun. best to have only 1 though)

Halo = Some random planet or scenery, as Halo were usually found near planets.

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#16 spartan-G257

spartan-G257

Gamma Company Recruit

• Contributor
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

not really I think installations 4/5 were found near gas giants while I'm not sure about installation 3

UNSC been beating the covies since 2525
Closed Beta Testing HHF
Hail the Commonwealth of Nations and long live the Queen
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Gas Giants are still planets.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#18 Fleet ADM. Drian

Fleet ADM. Drian

Waging some sort of War for Terra

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Ark = Sun (like an extra type of sun. best to have only 1 though)

Halo = Some random planet or scenery, as Halo were usually found near planets.

That would be a good idea to give some variety to the star types as well as add the halos.

#19 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

Here is an idea for an Ark planet type. Make it a Star, but have no planets around it, also make it able to be colonized. So it would only appear in multi-star games and pretty much anyone could jump to it at any time, so you'd have to find it first and fortify like a mad man to keep it.

I'd like to see Halos in the game, but it won't be a super weapon and it won't be something randomly floating around gas giants that have no effect on the game. I do like the idea of having them be in the capture game types, but being in only that game will make it so that it's not seen very much.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#20 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

Here is an idea for an Ark planet type. Make it a Star, but have no planets around it, also make it able to be colonized. So it would only appear in multi-star games and pretty much anyone could jump to it at any time, so you'd have to find it first and fortify like a mad man to keep it.

I'd like to see Halos in the game, but it won't be a super weapon and it won't be something randomly floating around gas giants that have no effect on the game. I do like the idea of having them be in the capture game types, but being in only that game will make it so that it's not seen very much.

True, but only with the current mentality of the game. I don't play occupation because it's a little boring and the AI doesn't get it. If the Halos are added in correctly, I can see the occupation game type becoming very popular, especially if they offer some significant advantage, it would just add to the Halo feel. Though the Covenant have a definite advantage in any match like that.
  • Centurian128 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users