66 replies to this topic

#41 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

We'll it is an ONI research base, researching an ancient ultra weapon of last resort in order to decommission them.
You're right I can't say that not every ship has them.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#42 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'm pretty damn sure te Spirit of Fire had nukes. And I am willing to bet the Trafalger had nukes as it was a warship and te pride if the UNSC fleet.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#43 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

*Cough* Commonwealth and a lot of ships in Cole's fleet *Cough*

• Unikraken likes this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#44 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Holy crap batman.

Look, you want sources. Go read the books. In there, and every wiki page, the UNSC is confirmed that within the first couple years of the war they DEPLETED THE ENTIRE NUCLEAR ARSENAL. Think about this. We are talking about fleet battles maybe 80 ships large at the most during the early years of the war. The UNSC is a space faring race. Even if they ONLY had the nukes that the planet Earth currently has, it would take an ASS TON of lobbing them around. Meaning frigates had to have them to.

The charon is confirmed as the support. Least armor, has a huge fucking hangar (go look at the canon pics) for the sole purpose of carrying more troops. Meaning it is a pelican with a MAC essentially. LOCAL fleet support at that.

The stalwart is the middle ground, doesnt have the most armor nor the most troop capacity and is considered fleet support. This is the ship they take with them on offensives. Not charons.

The paris is heavy fleet support, boasting the most armor but having very little to no hangar space. Fleet combat and fleet support. No orbital deployment really.

The charon has hyperion missiles which is a weaker variant of a shiva. IN FACT, the charon was WEAKER because other frigates had shivas on board while the charon had a hyperion delivery system. Which is like a tomahawk vs an actual nuclear weapon. So no, the charon is weaker AND EVEN STILL those missiles would probably be used to SUPPORT ITS INVASIONS with tactical strike. JUST LIKE THE US NAVY DOES TODAY.

The combined lore/research/reading/fan masturbation that took place to create our own encyclopedia on this shit is intense. Ive even done mathematical calculations to make sure we get damage proportions and whether a ship could do X damage with a barrel of Y length and if that exceeded the ships overall length.

So please, please dont assume we are chumps who thought this up in a day.

• Unikraken, MrChipps, Bornstellaris and 2 others like this

bDNWw7L.png

#45 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

Holy crap batman.

Look, you want sources. Go read the books. In there, and every wiki page, the UNSC is confirmed that within the first couple years of the war they DEPLETED THE ENTIRE NUCLEAR ARSENAL. Think about this. We are talking about fleet battles maybe 80 ships large at the most during the early years of the war. The UNSC is a space faring race. Even if they ONLY had the nukes that the planet Earth currently has, it would take an ASS TON of lobbing them around. Meaning frigates had to have them to.

The charon is confirmed as the support. Least armor, has a huge fucking hangar (go look at the canon pics) for the sole purpose of carrying more troops. Meaning it is a pelican with a MAC essentially. LOCAL fleet support at that.

The stalwart is the middle ground, doesnt have the most armor nor the most troop capacity and is considered fleet support. This is the ship they take with them on offensives. Not charons.

The paris is heavy fleet support, boasting the most armor but having very little to no hangar space. Fleet combat and fleet support. No orbital deployment really.

The charon has hyperion missiles which is a weaker variant of a shiva. IN FACT, the charon was WEAKER because other frigates had shivas on board while the charon had a hyperion delivery system. Which is like a tomahawk vs an actual nuclear weapon. So no, the charon is weaker AND EVEN STILL those missiles would probably be used to SUPPORT ITS INVASIONS with tactical strike. JUST LIKE THE US NAVY DOES TODAY.

The combined lore/research/reading/fan masturbation that took place to create our own encyclopedia on this shit is intense. Ive even done mathematical calculations to make sure we get damage proportions and whether a ship could do X damage with a barrel of Y length and if that exceeded the ships overall length.

So please, please dont assume we are chumps who thought this up in a day.

.... was Dianno always this ... ruthlessly zealous and I am just noticing it now, or is this him having an off day? 

It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#46 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:07 AM

.... was Dianno always this ... ruthlessly zealous and I am just noticing it now, or is this him having an off day? 

He reminds me of myself really. I was cool and calculated until I cracked under the stress of overbearing fanboys trying to make sense out of something that doesn't need further explanation for the sake of having something in the development process changed.

• Unikraken and Lavo like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#47 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:47 AM

It is not confirmed no one knows, both wikis are unreliable,.
Charon has shivas because on the halo 3 level where you land On The ark you here the comms from the space battle above. Forward into dawn expends it's armament of shivas so they switch to the archers, that is why they want to land,
There are no references to either Paris or stolly having nukes.
Can I have a look at these numbers please? I'd like to see your working, as I too did some calculations to see how a frigate would do against the mass effect dreadnought destinies ascension, and all three frigates came out on top.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#48 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

Spectre, stop trying to argue the point just for the heck of it. What you're saying is pointless.
  • Defender0 and Lavo like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#49 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

No I just want to know these numbers, since I have always had an interest in coil guns.
What both of us are argueing about is pointless neither of us have have proof both answers are conjecture. And that is what I'm trying to get at.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#50 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:55 AM

Well, in every naval engagment mentioned in halo lore nukes have been used by all types of warships. The keyes loop was performed by a destroyer in which a shiva was launched. The Pillar of Autumn had a longsword with a shiva. The frigate UNSC Commonwealth also launched a nuke.

So it's safe to assume that the use of nuclear weapons by most classes of UNSC warships in naval engagments is common.
Sweden can into gender!

#51 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

oh no that's absolutely normal :P

You should hear him in some of the playtester chats. He's got all of this calculated out like Darth Sideous before the clone wars...

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#52 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

So it's safe to assume that the use of nuclear weapons by most classes of UNSC warships in naval engagments is common.

Correct. Every UNSC ship in canon has a nuke of some kind, the only discrepancy is that charons have hyperion missiles while all other ships, including prowlers, have shivas

#53 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Just to give you an idea of how common they were the UNSC Everest had 105 shivas on board.
Spoiler

#54 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

No I just want to know these numbers, since I have always had an interest in coil guns.
What both of us are argueing about is pointless neither of us have have proof both answers are conjecture. And that is what I'm trying to get at.

They have been done by multiple people. From someone with a heavy background in kinetic energy weapons and ballistics to multiple engineering students. It has been debate on the forums before so no you're not going to get them because

A. You can look them up
B. You could do them yourself because the calculations are a matter of high school physics

Now have a nice day
  • Defender0 likes this
Spoiler

#55 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

Ive had a bit of a look about the web, Can't find these can anyone link me please?

Also you have to assume that a coilgun on a frigate can, have the efficency of >90% being able to launch an item to >5000m/s with <1cm of coil and barrel with just a single stage.

Edited by SPECTRE, 07 November 2013 - 09:35 AM.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#56 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Ive had a bit of a look about the web, Can't find these can anyone link me please?

Also you have to assume that a coilgun on a frigate can, have the efficency of >90% being able to launch an item to >5000 with <1cm of coil and barrel with just a single stage.

Dianno... You have those numbers? I honestly don't remember...

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#57 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Who the hell cares, its a video game.

It's not conjecture. We as devs work within the boundaries of what we think is right. While we are open to what our colleagues in the modding community have to say, quite frankly everything you say is conjecture while everything we put out is interpreted based on established lore and as such is established as fact in our dev process. The mod is tailored to our specific understanding, which fans may or may not agree with. You must understand that what we feel is right is right and if what you feel is right is different from what we interpret as right, then go make your own mod.

• Bornstellaris and Lavo like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#58 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Haven't seen "We're right because we say we're right," in a while.

• Defender0, MrChipps, Bornstellaris and 1 other like this

#59 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

Fair do's Your mod.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#60 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

If a basic frigate has nukes it would follow very easily that anything above it has nukes. That is really simple logic. Do we know for a fact that every single ship in the fleet has them? Of course not, there is very little info out about armaments, let alone for every ship in the fleet. It's super pedantic and contrarian to have the position that SPECTRE has, aside from the fact that the mod is ours to make. We listen to the ideas fans have and we often incorporate those ideas, or at least we did when the mod wasn't almost completely done. Point is, the first sentence is the logic I've followed in the regard on that point of the canon. If a measly frigate has nukes why the fuck wouldn't bigger ships have them? Really...WHY? There is no reason. Keyes' destroyer was unremarkable and it had nukes. Every ship that gets attention from 343/Bungie has had nukes.

The Halo universe is not fleshed out like Star Wars or Star Trek or Lord of the Rings, we have to make assumptions in order to make fan content like this, otherwise before Halo 4 you'd have gotten a mod with like 5 ships in it. We have to stretch the canon, we have wring it like a towel, pouring every bit of info out of it in order bring you this mod. Nearly all of us are Halo experts, in as much as one can be an expert of a universe that gets retconned with ease by its creators.

• Emberblaque, Defender0, MrChipps and 1 other like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users