66 replies to this topic

#21 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Mind telling us the actual reasoning?

Because that's something even I am in the dark about. I get the stock reasoning of "breaking scale" every time it's mentioned which is hardly an excuse.

Ok, in order to make the fortress equivalent to canon, it would be so OP, and require so much balancing, that it would never be seen due to how hard it would be to get.

#22 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

I for one am happy not to see that thing they call just a warship. there the forrunner REMNANT not the forrunner GOD KILL EVERYTHINGS 

#23 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

@Rovert I also think you're implying that SoGE scale is universally popular. We discussed this topic for a long time publicly on the previous forums, and a considerable number of people urged us not to change the scale because they had seen it done in SoGE and found it awkward. The most frequent complaint was not being able to see the ships closely enough. Now one could leave the units and structures alone and merely increase planet and gravity well size, but the size must be increased considerably more than if the ships and structures could be reduced as well, and there will come a point when parts of the planet mesh exceed the draw distance. I consider that a genuine concern when normal ships are normal size and we're trying to get 100km ships to scale relative to planets.

And what arbitrary scale do we choose? We'll never even approach realism. We could push the engine to its limit and the ships would still be ridiculously too large, and the planets ridiculously too small. It really does seem like we're not getting enough bang for our buck by investing time in this.

Good answer? Ask more questions if you'd like.

Ok, in order to make the fortress equivalent to canon, it would be so OP, and require so much balancing, that it would never be seen due to how hard it would be to get.

Rovert already thinks we're pulling answers out of our asses, so can you please not actually pull an answer out of you ass?

#24 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

Rovert already thinks we're pulling answers out of our asses, so can you please not actually pull an answer out of you ass?

Its the same argument as the plot device, only for a ship 2-4 times bigger. I didnt even HAVE to pull this out of my ass.

#25 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

Im on defenders side here, its not a crappy answer, its realistic, what place would either of those vessels hold? god ships? defender has a logical point here.

• Defender0 likes this

#26 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Its the same argument as the plot device, only for a ship 2-4 times bigger. I didnt even HAVE to pull this out of my ass.

I pretty much just see people complain about the scale. Pretty sure you guys just say OP when you've said "it breaks scale," too many times and you want followers to leave you the fuck alone. It's a catch all. We're trying to explain why the leaders came to the decision, and OP is not why.

#27 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

I pretty much just see people complain about the scale. Pretty sure you guys just say OP when you've said "it breaks scale," too many times and you want followers to leave you the fuck alone. It's a catch all. We're trying to explain why the leaders came to the decision, and OP is not why.

Its not the size, its the number/size of weapons its size allows it to carry. meaning, a ship such as the plot device or the fortress class vessl is a one ship fleet

• Cole Protocol likes this

#28 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

I never understood the criticism behind the scaling of SoGE.

Funnily enough Lavo planned to upscale but received protest not to. It's a case of able to please everybody.

Zoom distances scale proportionally to the size of each ship and object within the game. You are able to zoom as close as any ship even if I made every ship the size of a corvette. SoaSE is very flexible when it comes to scaling.

Now I am not saying go ahead and put the Fortress Class. Rather I was dissatisfied with the catch all reasoning of "Oh breaks scale and too OP". When there is a proven case that sticking ships that large is well within the bounds of what SoaSE can do if done properly.

And if it's a 1 Fleet ship  than make the thing costs the 95% of your fleet supply to compensate and extremely hard to achieve where you have to sack the rest of your fleet to acquire.

From a timeline standpoint, that's perfectly reasonable to deny the Fortress Class but I never hear this answer.

After hearing the same thing again and again without proper reasoning, it comes off to me as rather callous.

• Emberblaque likes this

#29 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

You have a good point to, rovert.

#30 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

Re-reading the scale thread on the old site (http://danmangames.c...p?topic=5700.75), it wasn't people not being able to zoom in close enough that made them dislike SoGE scale, it was having to zoom in so much because of the greater difference.

Most of the thread's about grav well and phase lane sizes, but eventually planet size changes are proposed. Uni kinda just swoops down eventually and says he's not interested in it and we have more important things to do, but he likes the grav well and phase lane changes. It's perfectly possible we've been regurgitating a sound bite in this case. We try to debate, and then sort of lock in our decisions for the sake of productivity. Maybe others disagree, but I think Rovert deserves a high five in the name of logic and rationality. Maybe Uni or Canada have more to reveal about their private conversations about the matter.

But let it be known henceforth that we wish not to alter the current scale because we totally don't feel like it. It's most important to tell the truth.

• Unikraken, Bornstellaris, Aunt Gruntie and 1 other like this

#31 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

I like the scale personally, adding in the superships is a bad idea to, for several reasons, i wont go into detail since you guys seemed to cover that rather well.

#32 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

The didact may bring back ecumene in halo 5, i really hope that does not happen. Beacaue Sotp would have to be updated and this mod will instantly become a horror game.

I would recommend you to read Halo:silentium if you want more informations, because in it are informtions about the ecumene during and at the end of the Forrunner/flood war. Just a little tipp. :)

Ps: I don't think that this is going to happen(didact bringing back ecumene).

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#33 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

It better not, this mod  THE ENTIRE HALO UNIVERSE would be disrupted, lets face it the forerunners were terrifying by all means and i really don't want to start a game and have hundreds of keyships thrown at me. so its good that it probably wont happen.

#34 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Listen to the audio log, regarding after the war/firing of halo. the forerunners, say that they will not re enter the galaxy.

they didnt stay on installation 00, so they may have left by ship, committed a spieces wide seppuku, went into hiding in the remaining shield worlds, or died.

Everyone and everything they knew, was dead or destroyed. So it would makes sense to start anew or just not bother propagating.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#35 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

true, but the didact seemed fine with breaking that little pact the forerunners made.

#36 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Your forgetting the didact is now two people.

The insane ur didact (origional)

the reasonable iso-didact who inherited the thoughts of the ur didact.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#37 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

well the crazy one seemed rather trigger happy and was like lol no to just craping out and leaving. I know there are two, the iso didact died of age on installation 00 and the Ur didact (better be) is alive. so I still think he would try to reform the ecumene in his own, crazy, horrifying, Promethean way.

#38 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Yes he had direct contact with and was interigated by a gravemind.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#39 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

who had direct contact with the gravemnd?

#40 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

The Ur-didact
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users