• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Assault Carrier and Super Destroyer: should they be switched?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#21 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

This does make sense.

Also United States. From Massachusetts.

Ah, that easily narrows it down the least. I won't keep guessing. You just have my thanks because all the VOs in this mod are top notch.

#22 Hageshii01

Hageshii01

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 125 posts
  • LocationOver in that Battlecruiser, and that one, and that one, and-

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

Ah, that easily narrows it down the least. I won't keep guessing. You just have my thanks because all the VOs in this mod are top notch.

I appreciate that a lot.  And I was very happy to be a part of the mod.

#23 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

I see the logic. The CAS is a flagship and while extremely large and heavy, not necessarily rare, like a heavy tank. The SD is a rare and pure ship fighter. The CAS as a more common ship would fit better with the lore of the game and give the Infinity a better role because it would outclass everything the UNSC has but the Infinity would have the last laugh. 

The SD should be renamed to just "Covenant Battleship" or something though. 1. Its called that in the lore. 2. SD is a misleading and awkward name. 3. Battleship would fit better with its role as a titan and a heavy ship killer. 

http://halo.wikia.co...nant_battleship

#24 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

I see the logic. The CAS is a flagship and while extremely large and heavy, not necessarily rare, like a heavy tank. The SD is a rare and pure ship fighter. The CAS as a more common ship would fit better with the lore of the game and give the Infinity a better role because it would outclass everything the UNSC has but the Infinity would have the last laugh. 

The SD should be renamed to just "Covenant Battleship" or something though. 1. Its called that in the lore. 2. SD is a misleading and awkward name. 3. Battleship would fit better with its role as a titan and a heavy ship killer. 

http://halo.wikia.co...nant_battleship

Very likely it will be called Battleship in the game, but it was originally called the superdestroyer, I have a copy of the work including it calling it such. It was fixed in later copies because battleship is less ridiculous.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#25 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Will Infinity be superior to the CAS or SD (It definitely should for the CAS) 

#26 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:16 AM

Will Infinity be superior to the CAS or SD (It definitely should for the CAS)

Infinity will be pretty much superior to everything the Covenant have.

#27 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

Infinity will be pretty much superior to everything the Covenant have.

Will it cost even more than the SD?
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#28 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Just as a curiosity, why is the staff so opposed to the Super-Carrier being the titan?  Yes its fucking huge.  But it doesn't have to be its canonical size.  After all I see you have Mantle's Approach skinned,and that thing is the size of High Charity.  

#29 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Just as a curiosity, why is the staff so opposed to the Super-Carrier being the titan? Yes its fucking huge. But it doesn't have to be its canonical size. After all I see you have Mantle's Approach skinned,and that thing is the size of High Charity.

It is an upscaled FRACKING ASSAULT CARRIER!

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#30 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Just as a curiosity, why is the staff so opposed to the Super-Carrier being the titan?  Yes its fucking huge.  But it doesn't have to be its canonical size.  After all I see you have Mantle's Approach skinned,and that thing is the size of High Charity.  

If they were to put it to the scale of existing ships, it would stretch from one end of the gravity well to the other,  and make the planet scale look stupid.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#31 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

And the CRS is a downscaled CCS, the RCS is a slightly upscaled CCS.  And canonically the DDS is a downscaled Assault Carrier.  Not to mention that the Autumn-Class is an upscaled Halcyon-class modded cruiser.  Canon Halo ship designers suck. 

#32 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

And the CRS is a downscaled CCS, the RCS is a slightly upscaled CCS.  And canonically the DDS is a downscaled Assault Carrier.  Not to mention that the Autumn-Class is an upscaled Halcyon-class modded cruiser.  Canon Halo ship designers suck. 

Not really thats the way a culture advances.

Look at asian junkers, then compare them to European clippers, they look so very different but have the same purpose.

If a japanese bloke had designed HMS dreadnought i bet you that in even european navies would have ships that look like a junk.

So to sum it up a ships(or anything for that matter) asthetic design will  depend on the curture that designs it, So all covenant ships should look like they do, while UNSC ships have a very different appearance.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#33 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

And the CRS is a downscaled CCS, the RCS is a slightly upscaled CCS. And canonically the DDS is a downscaled Assault Carrier. Not to mention that the Autumn-Class is an upscaled Halcyon-class modded cruiser. Canon Halo ship designers suck.

The Polt Device is also a plot device, they made an upscaled Assault carrier for the purpose of advancing the plot. I would be okay if there had been a single major difference, but there was not.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#34 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Ok so the CRS is an optimized CCS, one optimized solely for combat in space. The Autumn is a production version of a prototype warship. And were is the DDS stated to be a down sized CAS? Want to take a guess at what "CAS"  means? It means "Covenant Assault Ship" the DDS is a total carrier it carries troops yes, however its role is in space. 

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#35 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

The Polt Device is also a plot device, they made an upscaled Assault carrier for the purpose of advancing the plot. I would be okay if there had been a single major difference, but there was not.

How is the plot device more of a plot device than Mantle's Approach?  The Didact happens to have a 371km battleship capable of tanking the UNSC's entire arsenal.  Let's not even talk about Infinity which just happens to have shields and armor of superior quality of the Covenant's.  Come on now.  Only the engines are forerunner, but its superior tech to the organization that was kicking their shit in so bad they glassed their homeworld 3 years ago. There are several major differences between an Assault Carrier and a Super-Carrier.

A. Its size

B. Its can support an entire fleet

C. It can cloak.  

D. Its armament; the plot device-class wiped out the entire Reach defense fleet by itself.

Ok so the CRS is an optimized CCS, one optimized solely for combat in space. The Autumn is a production version of a prototype warship. And were is the DDS stated to be a down sized CAS? Want to take a guess at what "CAS"  means? It means "Covenant Assault Ship" the DDS is a total carrier it carries troops yes, however its role is in space. 

You are guessing here.  The CRS is deployed to deliver troops en mass on Requiem.  The Autumn-class is 1500 meters long.  That's 50% larger than the Halcyon.   That's like saying the New Jersey-class battleship is the production version of a prototype cruiser.  CAS standing for "Covenant Assault Ship" is highly conjectural considering in most cases the Covenant do not invade.  They glass and burn worlds.  CAS-classes being Class-Five fleet ships also shows their primary purposes is serving at the center of fleets.  Often carrying fleet officers.  

Now considering that the Covenant High Command are megalomaniacs, I'd be willing to bet my left nut that's because the CAS as well as the plot device have the best shields and the biggest guns.  As for the Super-Destroyer being the titan.  

Why?  Because we've seen one of them?  Because they are more common than the CAS?  They aren't.  There were dozens of Super Destroyers; hailed as battleships in First Strike.   

#36 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

How is the plot device more of a plot device than Mantle's Approach?  The Didact happens to have a 371km battleship capable of tanking the UNSC's entire arsenal.  Let's not even talk about Infinity which just happens to have shields and armor of superior quality of the Covenant's.  Come on now.  Only the engines are forerunner, but its superior tech to the organization that was kicking their shit in so bad they glassed their homeworld 3 years ago. There are several major differences between an Assault Carrier and a Super-Carrier.

A. Its size

B. Its can support an entire fleet

C. It can cloak.  

D. Its armament; the plot device-class wiped out the entire Reach defense fleet by itself.  

I would be okay if there had been a SINGLE MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

Even if they had just added some spikes to the bulbous front and retextured it I would be okay, but they did not. Instead they made an upscaled AC as the plot device; plus, i believe the Approach was mentioned in the forerunner saga of books.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#37 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Even if they had just added some spikes to the bulbous front and retextured it I would be okay, but they did not. Instead they made an upscaled AC as the plot device; plus, i believe the Approach was mentioned in the forerunner saga of books.

No it wasn't.  The largest vessel is the Fortress class which is 100kms.  Well it is a different color.   ;)

And that isn't unique to the plot device.  All Covenant Cruiser have the same silhouette, and Destroyers do, and all Carriers do.   

#38 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

C. It can cloak.  

It had to be cloaked from turfside it was so big, I doubt it cloaked its way in system.

Also you say infinity and mantles approach were plot devices.

Some forerunner vessels were well over 100KM long so it would make sense that the command vessel is even larger in scale.

AND HOW DARE YOU SLAG OFF THE INFINITY!

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#39 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

No it wasn't.  The largest vessel is the Fortress class which is 100kms.  Well it is a different color.   ;)

And that isn't unique to the plot device.  All Covenant Cruiser have the same silhouette, and Destroyers do, and all Carriers do.   

There is 1 destroyer I can think of, the carriers all have the same design and the cruisers do to, but these ships HAVE design differences. I didn't say anything about the Approach being the largest, only that it was in the books.

EDIT: The Infinity and Approach were plot devices how? They both had backstory, whereas the plot device just popped in as a ship to feed the plot, much like the new users and Uni.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#40 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

It had to be cloaked from turfside it was so big, I doubt it cloaked its way in system.

Some forerunner vessels were well over 100KM long so it would make sense that the command vessel is even larger in scale.

It was stated the Fortress-class were the largest at 100km.  So yeah Mantle's Approach is a plot device.  

If you don't think Infinity isn't a plot device you are kidding yourself.  The Covenant have been kicking humanity's shit in for 25 years, and then in 3 they get a warship capable of plowing the Covenant?  That's pretty ridiculous.

So you think the UNSC didn't notice a 30 kilometer long vessel enter their space?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users