• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Assault Carrier and Super Destroyer: should they be switched?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#41 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

It was stated the Fortress-class were the largest at 100km.  So yeah Mantle's Approach is a plot device.  

If you don't think Infinity isn't a plot device you are kidding yourself.  The Covenant have been kicking humanity's shit in for 25 years, and then in 3 they get a warship capable of plowing the Covenant?  That's pretty ridiculous.

So you think the UNSC didn't notice a 30 kilometer long vessel enter their space?  

Intra-system slip maybe?

Also, the Infinity had been under construction for decades, and the tech was from Trevelyan. Have you read the Kilo five books?

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#42 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Intra-system slip maybe?

Also, the Infinity had been under construction for decades, and the tech was from Trevelyan. Have you read the Kilo five books?

Perhaps.  

It has been under construction for two decades.  Yes I have.  Have you played Spartan Ops?  Halsey states only the engines are Forerunner, the rest of the ship is Human.  It took the humans 20 years to retrofit energy shields from a captured Jackal gauntlet into the Mark V Spartan armor.  How did they manage to get superior shields to the Covenant in 3 years, and weapons to annihilate them?  It makes no sense.  

#43 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

It was stated the Fortress-class were the largest at 100km.  So yeah Mantle's Approach is a plot device.  

If you don't think Infinity isn't a plot device you are kidding yourself.  The Covenant have been kicking humanity's shit in for 25 years, and then in 3 they get a warship capable of plowing the Covenant?  That's pretty ridiculous.

So you think the UNSC didn't notice a 30 kilometer long vessel enter their space?  

1. Mantles approach was a single  vessel, not a run of production ships, for example the USS enterprise (aircraft carrier) is considered to be the largest ship in the world because it was a production run, rather than a one off vessel like seawise giant. Just because something is produced once doesn't mean it viable to build another.

2. Humanity has some pretty decent equipment, which if it wasn't so damn hard and expensive to produce they may have won the war (splaser, SMACs, Mjolnir to name a few) If i can just put this into context, in ww2 the allies had the worst tanks easily 5 years behind the germans, then in 1944 they ended up producing monster tanks 3 years ahead of german tachnology, Comet, centurion, pershing, challenger to name them.

3. Yes.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#44 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

I believe they had been trying to include shields for a while. The Onagers and MACS on it had existed for years, and the missiles do not seem like a big stretch. So where are the weapons to annihilate them that the UNSC has not had that would not have been easy to develop?  

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#45 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

1. Mantles approach was a single  vessel, not a run of production ships, for example the USS enterprise (aircraft carrier) is considered to be the largest ship in the world because it was a production run, rather than a one off vessel like seawise giant. Just because something is produced once doesn't mean it viable to build another.

Fair enough, but for the purpose of this mod, it would be one vessel.  

2. Humanity has some pretty decent equipment, which if it wasn't so damn hard and expensive to produce they may have won the war (splaser, SMACs, Mjolnir to name a few) If i can just put this into context, in ww2 the allies had the worst tanks easily 5 years behind the germans, then in 1944 they ended up producing monster tanks 3 years ahead of german tachnology, Comet, centurion, pershing, challenger to name them.

Mjolnir mass produced would be useless.  Spartans take a large quantity of good genes to make.  That's because they captured German tech.  Not that it matters the Germans had ICBMs in WWII, the Allies with their scientists from the V2 rockets didn't have them for at least a decade.  Not that it matters.  The Covenant were hundreds if not thousands of years ahead of humanity.  Infinity a 5km long warship took 20 years to build.  To date the Covenant have 29km long warships and a 300+km city.  

3. Yes.

Lul they have slipspace detectors everywhere.  Highly unlikely. 

I believe they had been trying to include shields for a while. The Onagers and MACS on it had existed for years, and the missiles do not seem like a big stretch. So where are the weapons to annihilate them that the UNSC has not had that would not have been easy to develop?  

The S-Macs are special, and they were completely ineffective.  And yet Infinity was able to blow through Mantle's Approach's armor.  Would you like to explain how that's even possible?  Their macs were comparatively weak and unable to penetrate Covenant shields, now they one-shot cruisers with ease and even the Assault Carriers are "no match" for it.

#46 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Fair enough, but for the purpose of this mod, it would be one vessel.  

Mjolnir mass produced would be useless.  Spartans take a large quantity of good genes to make.  That's because they captured German tech.  Not that it matters the Germans had ICBMs in WWII, the Allies with their scientists from the V2 rockets didn't have them for at least a decade.  Not that it matters.  The Covenant were hundreds if not thousands of years ahead of humanity.  Infinity a 5km long warship took 20 years to build.  To date the Covenant have 29km long warships and a 300+km city.  

Lul they have slipspace detectors everywhere.  Highly unlikely. 

Imagine if you had enough mjonir Gen 2 units to issue to every ODST? And enough ODST Armour to fill the entirety of the UNSC marine corps?

Allied tanks never incorporated german tech, In fact it was quite the contrary, most german tanks didn't even have stabilisers until 1943ish.  

Also In WW2 Countries had thier own focus' USA had the A bombs, Bat bombs and Supercarriers, Germany had Rockets (not ICBMs), chemical warfare (which thank the lord they never used) Panzers, and U boats, Italy had nothing, Japan had Biological and chemical warfare, Super battleships and rocket planes, Britain had the Chemical and biological weapons, Battleships, Cruiser tanks, Jets, Silly bombs and other ingenious devices. Saying one nation was more technological advanced that another is dependent on field of study.

Also should note that High charity was not made by the covenant intentionally.

Also Only one of them stations was able to pick up a fleet of 300 CCS class ships and even then it took a smart guy to figure out it was the covenant.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#47 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

So the biggest reason for the plot device hate is the laziness of Bungie with respect to its model?  I also found impressions of hate regarding that NOVA bomb the UNSC have, and ironically it seems like that bomb would be the best way to combat such a ship, but whatever it is not my mod.  

I do however have a question that relates to its size and power with respect to Forerunner ships in the game.  In support of Lord Stark, you seemed to have put Mantle's Approach in the game, or will if the images on Moddb are to be believed, and this confuses me since that thing is what...371km large and would likely posess shielding, armour, and armament to match?  Makes the plot device look highly puny in comparison and in addition, if you are indeed putting the Didact's flagship in, then you must be putting the forerunner fortress-class ships in to right?  Either the 50km or 100km versions?  It would seem odd to me then, if Mantle's Approach was in the game, but no "bridges" so to speak that could relate to it if there were no fortress-class ships.

I saw Unikraken write something on Moddb in the overall comment section of your mod that there will be no UNSC or Covenant ships the size of the plot device, but he didn't mention anything about Forerunner ships.  Does that indeed mean there will be such ships on the Forerunner side of things?  Personally I would love that since the Forerunners will be my chosen faction, but can someone please clear up my confusion on these matters, and perhaps explain if appropriate?

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#48 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

So the biggest reason for the plot device hate is the laziness of Bungie with respect to its model?  I also found impressions of hate regarding that NOVA bomb the UNSC have, and ironically it seems like that bomb would be the best way to combat such a ship, but whatever it is not my mod.  

I do however have a question that relates to its size and power with respect to Forerunner ships in the game.  In support of Lord Stark, you seemed to have put Mantle's Approach in the game, or will if the images on Moddb are to be believed, and this confuses me since that thing is what...371km large and would likely posess shielding, armour, and armament to match?  Makes the plot device look highly puny in comparison and in addition, if you are indeed putting the Didact's flagship in, then you must be putting the forerunner fortress-class ships in to right?  Either the 50km or 100km versions?  It would seem odd to me then, if Mantle's Approach was in the game, but no "bridges" so to speak that could relate to it if there were no fortress-class ships.

I saw Unikraken write something on Moddb in the overall comment section of your mod that there will be no UNSC or Covenant ships the size of the plot device, but he didn't mention anything about Forerunner ships.  Does that indeed mean there will be such ships on the Forerunner side of things?  Personally I would love that since the Forerunners will be my chosen faction, but can someone please clear up my confusion on these matters, and perhaps explain if appropriate?

Please Don't start Defender off in his rant about the forerunners, please, i beg of you.

Also the Model of mantles approach may have been done just for the sake of it. because why not?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#49 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Please Don't start Defender off in his rant about the forerunners, please, i beg of you.

what?

To clarify, mantles approach is probably a LOT smaller than that, and on top of that will be downsized for gameplay reasons, along with the other forerunner ships. 

#50 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Rants about Forerunners?  I don't mean to create aggression here, I really am genuinely confused due to the information I have gathered from comments and posts here and there on this site and Moddb after a couple years of lurking now.

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#51 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Imagine if you had enough mjonir Gen 2 units to issue to every ODST? And enough ODST Armour to fill the entirety of the UNSC marine corps?

Allied tanks never incorporated german tech, In fact it was quite the contrary, most german tanks didn't even have stabilisers until 1943ish.  

Also In WW2 Countries had thier own focus' USA had the A bombs, Bat bombs and Supercarriers, Germany had Rockets (not ICBMs), chemical warfare (which thank the lord they never used) Panzers, and U boats, Italy had nothing, Japan had Biological and chemical warfare, Super battleships and rocket planes, Britain had the Chemical and biological weapons, Battleships, Cruiser tanks, Jets, Silly bombs and other ingenious devices. Saying one nation was more technological advanced that another is dependent on field of study.

Also should note that High charity was not made by the covenant intentionally.

Also Only one of them stations was able to pick up a fleet of 300 CCS class ships and even then it took a smart guy to figure out it was the covenant.

It wouldn't matter because you can't just casually make ODSTs into Spartans.  The ODST armor for marines would be good.  And no it was a precursor to the ICBM.  A facility in France could tag London.  And no Germany was by far the most advanced state in the world.  The research advances made by the Third Reich are clear in the medical fields of today.  The entire space program of both the US and Soviets had captured scientists from the Nazis at the core of it. 

http://en.wikipedia...._energy_project

The Nazis also had their own nuclear projects.  

High Charity was constructed by the Covenant.  That legend of the Prophet's homeworld was just that, a legend.  Please.  

1.  It wasn't 300 CCS-classes.  

2.  Play Halo Reach, they detect the fleet the moment it arrives.

3.  As seen in Halo 2, the UNSC has slipspace detections.  

Also Mantle's Approach is that size.  Its in the Essential Visual Guide of Halo 4.  Its canon.

#52 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

300 CCS classes? Also, where is it stated that the legend is just that?

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#53 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

300 CCS classes? Also, where is it stated that the legend is just that?

Where is it stated its anything but a legend?

#54 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Rants about Forerunners?  I don't mean to create aggression here, I really am genuinely confused due to the information I have gathered from comments and posts here and there on this site and Moddb after a couple years of lurking now.

i dont have a rant about the forerunners, i just tell everyone they are WIP

#55 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Just as a curiosity have you considered incorporating them into Jul 'Mdama's faction?  

#56 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Jul 'Mdama's faction??????????

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#57 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

It wouldn't matter because you can't just casually make ODSTs into Spartans.  The ODST armor for marines would be good.  And no it was a precursor to the ICBM.  A facility in France could tag London.  And no Germany was by far the most advanced state in the world.  The research advances made by the Third Reich are clear in the medical fields of today.  The entire space program of both the US and Soviets had captured scientists from the Nazis at the core of it. 

http://en.wikipedia...._energy_project

The Nazis also had their own nuclear projects.  

High Charity was constructed by the Covenant.  That legend of the Prophet's homeworld was just that, a legend.  Please.  

1.  It wasn't 300 CCS-classes.  

2.  Play Halo Reach, they detect the fleet the moment it arrives.

3.  As seen in Halo 2, the UNSC has slipspace detections.  

Also Mantle's Approach is that size.  Its in the Essential Visual Guide of Halo 4.  Its canon.

Weren't Spartan IV's Marines/ODST's? 

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#58 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

OK The plot device and the Super Destroyer and the CAS. So the plot device is a no no because of scale and laziness. Wed rather bring you something truely terrifying than just an upscaled CCS. Yes Im aware the CRS was a downsized CCS. So we decided that was better than the plot device. Also the Balance means that the covenant dont get a titan per se. It has one but its a glorified capital ship. Just like the UNSC has glorified cruisers as capital ships. Super Destroyer has also been modified already in our version and is much more powerful. Along with the CPV and a few other significant changes we plan to release as a patch/new release very soon. Because the super destroyer is still meant to be built as one ship and a psuedo super weapon its still less because the CAS will do more for you in numbers than a lone Super Destroyer. We have no intention to move stuff around thus far. But we will keep this in mind and we will come back to it as a community request if we need a fix.

• Bornstellaris likes this

bDNWw7L.png

#59 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

OK The plot device and the Super Destroyer and the CAS. So the plot device is a no no because of scale and laziness. Wed rather bring you something truely terrifying than just an upscaled CCS. Yes Im aware the CRS was a downsized CCS. So we decided that was better than the plot device. Also the Balance means that the covenant dont get a titan per se. It has one but its a glorified capital ship. Just like the UNSC has glorified cruisers as capital ships. Super Destroyer has also been modified already in our version and is much more powerful. Along with the CPV and a few other significant changes we plan to release as a patch/new release very soon. Because the super destroyer is still meant to be built as one ship and a psuedo super weapon its still less because the CAS will do more for you in numbers than a lone Super Destroyer. We have no intention to move stuff around thus far. But we will keep this in mind and we will come back to it as a community request if we need a fix.

Scale isn't really an obstacle since Mantle's Approach is already in the mod.  Just as a curiosity, can you at least make the Super-Destroyer larger?  Make it a bit bigger than the CAS so we get the feel of a titan.  Also canonically there are dozens of Super-Destroyers, I don't really see why it'd be less common than the CAS.

#60 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Scale isn't really an obstacle since Mantle's Approach is already in the mod.  Just as a curiosity, can you at least make the Super-Destroyer larger?  Make it a bit bigger than the CAS so we get the feel of a titan.  Also canonically there are dozens of Super-Destroyers, I don't really see why it'd be less common than the CAS.

No there aren't.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users