• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Assault Carrier and Super Destroyer: should they be switched?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#61 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Let's presume the Infinity's original intentions were as a plot device. Is this a problem? No. Within the context of the Halo universe, the Infinity fits in just fine. Its not ridiculously OP and it has a decent enough back story. Same deal with the Didacts ship. Of course it was relatively incredibly powerful and large; it was Forerunner. 

The plot device-class was only seen once even though it wasn't a special ship like the Infinity or the Didacts. The plot device would've led the main fleet at Reach and would've been present at the Battle of Earth. Why would Regret take a CAS when he could take a plot device and why didn't Truth's fleet have a plot device? Why is the only mention of the plot device on Reach. Not to mention, it was used in a stealthy manner. That ship was NOT made for stealth. The plot device is also ridiculous in terms of size because it is Covie, not Forerunner (the Infinity is the perfect size for what it is). 

Also, the plot of Halo Reach is shitty and canon-breaking to begin with, so the default view is to look down upon anything that comes out of it anyway. Burden of proof is on the plot device 

#62 TheBigMan27

TheBigMan27

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

I really don't get the hate on the Polt Device, cause if you use the "IT'S A PLOT DEVICE BECAUSE IT JUST SHOWS UP AND I DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE!!!" argument, then you have to apply that to everything else in Halo lore.

Sabers - ok, so you're telling me that it took the UNSC 20 years to understand and develop shielding enough to shield a human and then suddenly a month latter they're advanced enough to produce two squads of fully shielded fighter craft, even though it's stated that to even shield a single room it would take more power than produced by a entire starship? Bungie even stated that they made the sabers have shields so gameplay wouldn't change to much for inexperienced players, thus making it a "PLOT DEVICE." Also if it wasn't a plot device, why wasn't the Pillar of Autumn outfitted with them? 

UNSC Infinity - I can not make how much class-A middle school BULL SHIT I think the Infinity is. The Infinity obviously has some badass shields right? Well I seriously doubt that in the 3 years the UNSC had that they could redesign a major point of the massive ship they had been building for the past 20 years. Like they would have literally would have needed to scrap and redesign entire sections of the ship and thats not even factoring in the transport time and cost of such a massive project. It is stated that the Infinity almost bankrupted the UNSC, even though they were already piss poor by the end of the war, and the pure cost of adding shields to humanity's largest ship ever created would have definitely destroyed anything even resembling a economy left in the UNSC.
Guys it takes DECADES to rebuild economies, not three god damn years. (Ex. USA)
I honestly think the only reason people are ok with the Infinity is because it is on the side of humanity, and everyone roots for the underdog.

Spartans - You wanna know whats total B.S?    Spartans.
Nah, Im just kidding, Spartans make total sense.

Anywho, really if you want to put the Polt Device in the light then you have to extend such formalities to the rest of Halo and the rest of its canon.

#63 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

I really don't get the hate on the Polt Device, cause if you use the "IT'S A PLOT DEVICE BECAUSE IT JUST SHOWS UP AND I DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE!!!" argument, then you have to apply that to everything else in Halo lore.

Sabers - ok, so you're telling me that it took the UNSC 20 years to understand and develop shielding enough to shield a human and then suddenly a month latter they're advanced enough to produce two squads of fully shielded fighter craft, even though it's stated that to even shield a single room it would take more power than produced by a entire starship? Bungie even stated that they made the sabers have shields so gameplay wouldn't change to much for inexperienced players, thus making it a "PLOT DEVICE." Also if it wasn't a plot device, why wasn't the Pillar of Autumn outfitted with them? 

UNSC Infinity - I can not make how much class-A middle school BULL SHIT I think the Infinity is. The Infinity obviously has some badass shields right? Well I seriously doubt that in the 3 years the UNSC had that they could redesign a major point of the massive ship they had been building for the past 20 years. Like they would have literally would have needed to scrap and redesign entire sections of the ship and thats not even factoring in the transport time and cost of such a massive project. It is stated that the Infinity almost bankrupted the UNSC, even though they were already piss poor by the end of the war, and the pure cost of adding shields to humanity's largest ship ever created would have definitely destroyed anything even resembling a economy left in the UNSC.
Guys it takes DECADES to rebuild economies, not three god damn years. (Ex. USA)
I honestly think the only reason people are ok with the Infinity is because it is on the side of humanity, and everyone roots for the underdog.

Spartans - You wanna know whats total B.S?    Spartans.
Nah, Im just kidding, Spartans make total sense.

Anywho, really if you want to put the Polt Device in the light then you have to extend such formalities to the rest of Halo and the rest of its canon.

1. Sabers

What I said about the plot device and Reach can easily apply to Sabers as well. They're just not as big of a deal since they fit in with the canon better (rough edges vs 100km plot device sticking out of the canon's anus). 

2. Infinity and shields

The Infinity was probably designed to be upgraded with ease and when the shields were added, it was after the war was over, meaning there was a TON of technology to add into the ship. Without more specifics, we can only be speculative but I don't think it's so unreasonable, within the frame of the universe, to put shields on her in 3 years. 

3. Infinity and economies

They were probably exaggerating a bit when they said the Infinity almost bankrupted the UNSC. In a total war, the economy is stretched to its absolute limits. Theoretically, several major projects could be "almost bankrupting" such a nation. To tie 2 and 3 together, who says adding shields is such a major overhaul by the way? 

4. Spartans

Their antics are quite...impressive. But they fit into the lore just fine. There's nothing contradictory about them. 

Technically, everything is a plot device. But most fit into the lore pretty well. Sabers go under the radar because they fit in. Spartans and the Infinity have a well developed backstory and are pillars of the lore. The plot device was shoved into Reach to make the story work then dropped from existence. 

#64 TheBigMan27

TheBigMan27

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

1. Sabers

What I said about the plot device and Reach can easily apply to Sabers as well. They're just not as big of a deal since they fit in with the canon better (rough edges vs 100km plot device sticking out of the canon's anus). 

2. Infinity and shields

The Infinity was probably designed to be upgraded with ease and when the shields were added, it was after the war was over, meaning there was a TON of technology to add into the ship. Without more specifics, we can only be speculative but I don't think it's so unreasonable, within the frame of the universe, to put shields on her in 3 years. 

They were probably exaggerating a bit when they said the Infinity almost bankrupted the UNSC. In a total war, the economy is stretched to its absolute limits. Theoretically, several major projects could be "almost bankrupting" such a nation. To tie 2 and 3 together, who says adding shields is such a major overhaul by the way? 

4. Spartans

Their antics are quite...impressive. But they fit into the lore just fine. There's nothing contradictory about them. 

Technically, everything is a plot device. But most fit into the lore pretty well. Sabers go under the radar because they fit in. Spartans and the Infinity have a well developed backstory and are pillars of the lore. The plot device was shoved into Reach to make the story work then dropped from existence. 

You make good points.

Well played Rain-Man

I still think the economy thing is a load of paper and poptart jizz though

#65 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

It wouldn't matter because you can't just casually make ODSTs into Spartans.  The ODST armor for marines would be good.  And no it was a precursor to the ICBM.  A facility in France could tag London.  And no Germany was by far the most advanced state in the world.  The research advances made by the Third Reich are clear in the medical fields of today.  The entire space program of both the US and Soviets had captured scientists from the Nazis at the core of it. 

http://en.wikipedia...._energy_project

The Nazis also had their own nuclear projects.  

High Charity was constructed by the Covenant.  That legend of the Prophet's homeworld was just that, a legend.  Please.  

1.  It wasn't 300 CCS-classes.  

2.  Play Halo Reach, they detect the fleet the moment it arrives.

3.  As seen in Halo 2, the UNSC has slipspace detections.  

Also Mantle's Approach is that size.  Its in the Essential Visual Guide of Halo 4.  Its canon.

Well Spartan IVs are essentially glorified ODSTs and ONI operatives, so yes you can. 

And nuclear weaponry in nazi germany was 12 years behind that of the US.

I refer to the second fleet detected by reach station ferimon, and it was at least 300 CCS class plus support vessels.

2nd point is no longer relevent

3.they heard subspace whispers, out near IO, and even then it only gave minutes warning, meaning that they are obviously not sensitive enough to detect smaller objects.

Where is it stated its anything but a legend?

Its in the bestarium, its lore, not legend, if you don't like the lore, don't read it.

Let's presume the Infinity's original intentions were as a plot device. Is this a problem? No. Within the context of the Halo universe, the Infinity fits in just fine. Its not ridiculously OP and it has a decent enough back story. Same deal with the Didacts ship. Of course it was relatively incredibly powerful and large; it was Forerunner. 

The plot device-class was only seen once even though it wasn't a special ship like the Infinity or the Didacts. The plot device would've led the main fleet at Reach and would've been present at the Battle of Earth. Why would Regret take a CAS when he could take a plot device and why didn't Truth's fleet have a plot device? Why is the only mention of the plot device on Reach. Not to mention, it was used in a stealthy manner. That ship was NOT made for stealth. The plot device is also ridiculous in terms of size because it is Covie, not Forerunner (the Infinity is the perfect size for what it is). 

Also, the plot of Halo Reach is shitty and canon-breaking to begin with, so the default view is to look down upon anything that comes out of it anyway. Burden of proof is on the plot device 

See? this guy knows!

Also with regards to the last statement, just for the purposes of this plot, we're going to take soMe SIIIS AND THROW THEM IN DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY'RE ALL DEAD!

2. Infinity and shields

4. Spartans

2. Mjolnir had shielding since the MK. IV which came out at the battle of chi ceti so it the UNSC had 25 years in order to improve shields.

3. Totally agree.

4.Some of those antics are based on real life events, done by currently serving special forces troops, one that sticks to mind are jumping out of planes without parachutes.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#66 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:38 AM

Everyone seems to be forgetting the trevelyan huragok who integrated all the forerunner components and probably installed the shields on Infinity. The UNSC learned a few things from the huragok and hey presto shields are available to number of UNSC ships.

As for the offensive capability of the Infinity, the endfight shows two beams beeing fired from the Infinity not 4 macs, therefore Unikraken has stated several times that Infinity posses directed energy weapons.
  • Bornstellaris and ShadowOfIntent like this
Sweden can into gender!

#67 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:44 AM

It should be noted that the Covenant Supercarrier Sublime Transcendence was featured in the books First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx.  So that in addition to Long Night of Solace makes two canon plot device-Class supercarriers.  It wasn't necessarily shoved into Reach then dropped out of existence, as it was I suppose lazily designed in model then put in.  From a story standpoint I can reason why the Covenant would do what they did, though it sort of stretches it considering for gameplay purposes you can't just have the player try to fight starships as a spartan, what with needing a reason for the Covenant to come to the ground and all (Forerunner artifacts etc) besides disabling SMAC ground generators.  I don't think there would really much more to this issue if Bungie would have just given it a little different model since I don't remember if it really was described in those two books.

As far as why they exist, why there are only two of them that we know of, and why then wouldn't they be the high prophets flagships?

1.  Probably just because they could build them to see how far their engineering could go.  As superweapons or such.

2.  It was also likely very costly and unnecessary compared to the other ships they could make for the same cost, so they didn't make that many of them.

3.  It seemed like a matter of situation.  The books I mentioned outline major Covenant investigations into potentially dangerous Forerunner stuff, perhaps the ship was a gift to the supreme commander and that just happened to be the fleet chosen, maybe it just happened to be the one the main characters found...they exist and they were there.  By the time any high prophets were into any highly dangerous scenarios such as when the Covenant were at Terra there probably were none left (not to say such vessels could not have been used prior by them timeline speaking).  Besides, Truth was on the Keyship at that point so he didn't want such a vessel since they were nearing the end anyway.

Anyway...humbly addressing the good hosts now.

In comparison to the titans in SoaSE: Rebellion, I think such vessels are actually comparable in size when compared with capital ships.  Such as the TEC rebel titan compared to their battleship in size.  When looking at the supercarrier and assault carrier they seem to follow such a comparison; so I don't really see how that is much of an argument to be honest.  And if you hated the model so much, then I suppose you could make a unique and fitting one yourself for it, though naturally I can see how the idea is rejected due to the perceived needless extra work.  And considering you are putting Mantle's Approach in the game from the screenshots of the textured model, a ship that is almost 14 times the size of the Covenant supercarrier...that argument about size just sort of falls apart on me.  Not to mention the armour, shields, and firepower differences between the two...

Then of course, other mods (but are not yours, I know) have comparable ships such as superstar destroyers and Yuuzhan Vong worldships and those work fine ingame and are comparable in size to the Covenant supercarrier.  And again if the Didact's flagship is going in the game, then surely you would put the fortress-class vessels in the game too right; and those things are two to four times (roughly) the size of the that supercarrier.  At the very least you could just size down the thing as you say you are going to do with Mantle's Approach.  I'm sure even if not in the "correct" proportions as it were, it would still be fine.

And if you are worried about balance...well you said you wanted to stick closely to the Halo canon right?  Considering the differences in technology, a high tier (but not fortress) forerunner capital ship (or two) is probably comparable to the plot device in terms of power despite any assumed size differences they might have.  Thus inadvertently, you might probably stick a power in the game that is equivalent to that supercarrier anyway, thus perhaps defeating the purpose of trying to exclude it.  And if a titan, then its not like they can build more than one unless you want players to.

Then with respect to the UNSC well...canonically they are quite outmatched for various reasons despite strengths to overcome that in time; but then that is the charm of the mod isn't it?  Fighting against overwhelming odds and doing everything you can to outwit, outplay, and defeat your opponents playing to your strengths and their weaknesses?  Sounds like the UNSC all right, not to downplay Covenant or Forerunner tacticians however.  Come to think of it actually, it is probably easy to set the game so that multiple titans can be built for specific factions...such as the UNSC Infinity actually being an official new class of ship lorewise...infinity class...which could help with balance if you see where I am going with that.

Considering what I have seen in both the comment sections on Moddb and posts and topics here on this site over the past two years of lurking, these arguments are just going to keep cropping up by obnoxiously irritating posters such as myself unless you guys write up an updated FAQ in places explicitly outlining every single reason as to why your reasoning on your choices. and at the same time still being open to criticism.  Even then, I doubt any fleeting hopes will die from that, as perhaps years from now such things will still be desired for the sake of completeness...and maybe at the least after the mod has its official or final release however long off that is from now, you might have a change of heart.  If not, then maybe someone else might...because I can see how it could work even in terms of balance if sufficient effort and passion is put in; and from what I have seen, you guys have a great deal of those.  Heh, then God forbid what could happen if even more powerful ships and weapons are revealed in future Halo lore then to be somehow expected to be put into this mod...

At the end of the day though, it is your mod and there is little I could say to change that.  Though I respect your decisions and mostly agree with them, when it comes to additions like this I must be honest and say that I just find your (scattered) reasonings to be very arguable.  Even though the mod is in just a pre-alpha or alpha state at the moment, I must say I am very much enjoying what it has to offer, this mod has been in development since what 2007?  That tells me either one of two things:  you are all so busy that you do what you can with what time you have and that is why it is "only" in pre-alpha (or alpha) at this time and are not willing and/or able to work on it as much as you would like (perfectly understandable), or this is one of the best mods ever created due to the sheer amount of polish and work gone into it over such a period of time for a mod and it is "only" in pre-alpha (or alpha).

I wish you would humor me, but I will not make demands when you offer this for free (I wouldn't do such a thing even if it was paid) and no matter what I say it just won't matter...its like that Kraken fellow said: "No discussion about it will change that."

EDIT:  I'm sad because no one has acted on my attempted discussion now, instead complaining about UNSC infinity Shields being too strong or something.

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#68 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:46 AM

Everyone seems to be forgetting the trevelyan huragok who integrated all the forerunner components and probably installed the shields on Infinity. The UNSC learned a few things from the huragok and hey presto shields are available to number of UNSC ships.

As for the offensive capability of the Infinity, the endfight shows two beams beeing fired from the Infinity not 4 macs, therefore Unikraken has stated several times that Infinity posses directed energy weapons.

THIS THIS THIS! also should be mentioned that two of infinities macs face aft, rather than fore, and it would be easy to reconfigure a MAC barred into a directed energy weapon

It should be noted that the Covenant Supercarrier Sublime Transcendence was featured in the books First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx.  So that in addition to Long Night of Solace makes two canon plot device-Class supercarriers.  It wasn't necessarily shoved into Reach then dropped out of existence, as it was I suppose lazily designed in model then put in.  From a story standpoint I can reason why the Covenant would do what they did, though it sort of stretches it considering for gameplay purposes you can't just have the player try to fight starships as a spartan, what with needing a reason for the Covenant to come to the ground and all (Forerunner artifacts etc) besides disabling SMAC ground generators.  I don't think there would really much more to this issue if Bungie would have just given it a little different model since I don't remember if it really was described in those two books.

As far as why they exist, why there are only two of them that we know of, and why then wouldn't they be the high prophets flagships?

1.  Probably just because they could build them to see how far their engineering could go.  As superweapons or such.

2.  It was also likely very costly and unnecessary compared to the other ships they could make for the same cost, so they didn't make that many of them.

3.  It seemed like a matter of situation.  The books I mentioned outline major Covenant investigations into potentially dangerous Forerunner stuff, perhaps the ship was a gift to the supreme commander and that just happened to be the fleet chosen, maybe it just happened to be the one the main characters found...they exist and they were there.  By the time any high prophets were into any highly dangerous scenarios such as when the Covenant were at Terra there probably were none left (not to say such vessels could not have been used prior by them timeline speaking).  Besides, Truth was on the Keyship at that point so he didn't want such a vessel since they were nearing the end anyway.

Anyway...humbly addressing the good hosts now.

In comparison to the titans in SoaSE: Rebellion, I think such vessels are actually comparable in size when compared with capital ships.  Such as the TEC rebel titan compared to their battleship in size.  When looking at the supercarrier and assault carrier they seem to follow such a comparison; so I don't really see how that is much of an argument to be honest.  And if you hated the model so much, then I suppose you could make a unique and fitting one yourself for it, though naturally I can see how the idea is rejected due to the perceived needless extra work.  And considering you are putting Mantle's Approach in the game from the screenshots of the textured model, a ship that is almost 14 times the size of the Covenant supercarrier...that argument about size just sort of falls apart on me.  Not to mention the armour, shields, and firepower differences between the two...

Then of course, other mods (but are not yours, I know) have comparable ships such as superstar destroyers and Yuuzhan Vong worldships and those work fine ingame and are comparable in size to the Covenant supercarrier.  And again if the Didact's flagship is going in the game, then surely you would put the fortress-class vessels in the game too right; and those things are two to four times (roughly) the size of the that supercarrier.  At the very least you could just size down the thing as you say you are going to do with Mantle's Approach.  I'm sure even if not in the "correct" proportions as it were, it would still be fine.

And if you are worried about balance...well you said you wanted to stick closely to the Halo canon right?  Considering the differences in technology, a high tier (but not fortress) forerunner capital ship (or two) is probably comparable to the plot device in terms of power despite any assumed size differences they might have.  Thus inadvertently, you might probably stick a power in the game that is equivalent to that supercarrier anyway, thus perhaps defeating the purpose of trying to exclude it anyway.  And if a titan, then its not like they can build more than one unless you want players to.

Then with respect to the UNSC well...canonically they are quite outmatched for various reasons despite strengths to overcome that in time; but then that is the charm of the mod isn't it?  Fighting against overwhelming odds and doing everything you can to outwit, outplay, and defeat your opponents playing to your strengths and their weaknesses?  Sounds like the UNSC all right, not to downplay Covenant or Forerunner tacticians however.  Come to think of it actually, it is probably easy to set the game so that multiple titans can be built for specific factions...such as the UNSC Infinity actually being an official new class of ship lorewise...infinity class...which could help with balance if you see where I am going with that.

Considering what I have seen in both the comment sections on Moddb and posts and topics here on this site over the past two years of lurking, these arguments are just going to keep cropping up by obnoxiously irritating posters such as myself unless you guys write up an updated FAQ in places explicitly outlining every single reason as to why your reasoning on your choices whilst still being open to criticism.  Even then, I doubt any fleeting hopes will die from that, as perhaps years from now such things will still be desired for the sake of completeness...and maybe at the least after the mod has its official or final release however long off that is from now, you might have a change of heart.  If not, then maybe someone else might...because I can see how it could work even in terms of balance if sufficient effort and passion is put in; and from what I have seen, you guys have a great deal of those.  Heh, then God forbid what could happen if even more powerful ships and weapons are revealed in future Halo lore then to be somehow expected to be put into this mod...

At the end of the day though, it is your mod and there is little I could say to change that.  Though I respect your decisions and mostly agree with them, when it comes to additions like this I must be honest and say that I just find your (scattered) reasonings to be very arguable.  Even though the mod is in just a pre-alpha or alpha state at the moment, I must say I am very much enjoying what it has to offer, this mod has been in development since what 2007?  That tells me either one of two things:  you are all so busy that you do what you can with what time you have and that is why it is "only" in pre-alpha (or alpha) at this time and are not willing and/or able to work on it as much as you would like (perfectly understandable), or this is one of the best mods ever created due to the sheer amount of polish and work gone into it over such a period of time for a mod and it is "only" in pre-alpha (or alpha).

I wish you would humor me, but I will not make demands when you offer this for free (I wouldn't do such a thing even if it was paid) and no matter what I say it just won't matter...its like that Kraken fellow said: "No discussion about it will change that."

Very reasonable points raised here, but in the books its the commmand of one is given an imperial admiral, he was such a threat to the covenant that they sent him to the borderlands rather than to fight the humans.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#69 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

TheBigMan covered it really well.  Also the plot device was NOT just in Reach.  It is first mentioned in First Strike as guarding High Charity.  As to why Truth and Regret didn't use them.  Pretty easy to figure out.

Regret's fleet was made up spur of the moment and NOT meant for combat.  That's why Truth said "your haste has jeopardized our mission and threatened our Grand Design..."  Truth's fleet also was hastily assembled, with the ships that were able to disengage from the Elites at Instillation 05 following him.  Quite frankly when the Great Schism began, it seems really likely to me that both the Brutes and Elites would target the most powerful ships in the armada.  (Which is why the remnant fleets are made up of mostly CRS-class now.)  If the CCS-classes got annihilated, do you really think the CSOs wouldn't.  Most of them were probably wiped out at the battle of High Charity.

The exception?  

Sublime Transcendence.  Imperial Admiral Xytan 'Jar Wattinr's flagship, who is in all likelihood the highest ranked Sangheili we've seen to date.   

#70 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

No one is forgetting that.  But that's debunked in Spartan Ops.

12:52

"Only the engines are Forerunner tech, the rest is human."-Palmer

"Indeed"-Halsey confirmed it.  She'd know she practically built the ship.  

Considering it took Humanity 20 years to modify a jackal's shield gauntlet into Elite-gradeish armor it's ridiculous that humanity (having never captured a Covenant vessel for longer than a few hours) was able to give Infinity shields superior to Covenant ones.  

#71 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Honestly Lord Stark, go read the books. Come back when you're done.
  • Defender0 and MrChipps like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#72 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Only the engines are forerunner, as in designed and actually built by forerunners. That does not debunk that huragok were the ones who maid human ship-scaled shields possible, why else would the Infinity be the first ship to crack the mystery of how to power shields larger than a mjolnir armor set?

Sweden can into gender!

#73 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

No one is forgetting that.  But that's debunked in Spartan Ops.

12:52

"Only the engines are Forerunner tech, the rest is human."-Palmer

"Indeed"-Halsey confirmed it.  She'd know she practically built the ship.  

Considering it took Humanity 20 years to modify a jackal's shield gauntlet into Elite-gradeish armor it's ridiculous that humanity (having never captured a Covenant vessel for longer than a few hours) was able to give Infinity shields superior to Covenant ones.  

To respond to this post would involve repeating myself for the 3rd or 4th time. Nope.

#74 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Are you familiar with huragok and reverse engineered forerunner shield technology?

#75 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

Are you familiar with huragok and reverse engineered forerunner shield technology?

He's also forgetting that humanity had shields back in 2525 when the MKIV armour was rolled out at chi ceti.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#76 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

He's also forgetting that humanity had shields back in 2525 when the MKIV armour was rolled out at chi ceti.

That has nothing to do with Infinity's shields. Have you read Halsey's notebook from Halo: Reach. On top of that the original MKIV armor had no shields. The shielding came along shortly before the fall of Reach.

• Defender0 likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#77 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Sorry SPEC, No shields until the MARK V, MARK IVs were mostly about amplifiing strenght agility and speed the shields took precendence with the Vs design over those aspects, also if what your saying was true then Sam didn't have to die onboard the covenant CRS cruiser after they first recieved their MARK IVs.

• Defender0 and Bornstellaris like this

#78 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Not in the original run, but were soon upgraded to have shields, red team Spartans based on arcadia, had shields by the first battle of arcadia in 2531. And During the Battle of harvest Daisy 023s armour had energy shields, as when she was knocked to the ground there was an energy discharge.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#79 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Not in the original run, but were soon upgraded to have shields, red team Spartans based on arcadia, had shields by the first battle of arcadia in 2531.

Think I missed that Halo Wars cutscene, u have a link? please don't let it be another 'Rick Rolled' :lol:

Also going by the "Monsters" end battle FMv it looked like the spartans didn't have much need for shields.

#80 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Not in the original run, but were soon upgraded to have shields, red team Spartans based on arcadia, had shields by the first battle of arcadia in 2531. And During the Battle of harvest Daisy 023s armour had energy shields, as when she was knocked to the ground there was an energy discharge.

thats not canon, shields were not even close to being functional at that point for the UNSC. Also, all spartans in question were wearing MK IV armor. In the case of halo wars, that is just them adding shields in for shits and giggles, it is not really how it happened.

• D4RKST0RM99 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users