• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Assault Carrier and Super Destroyer: should they be switched?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#81 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Think I missed that Halo Wars cutscene, u have a link? please don't let it be another 'Rick Rolled' :lol:

Also going by the "Monsters" end battle FMv it looked like the spartans didn't have much need for shields.

Gameplay, mate.

thats not canon, shields were not even close to being functional at that point for the UNSC. Also, all spartans in question were wearing MK IV armor. In the case of halo wars, that is just them adding shields in for shits and giggles, it is not really how it happened.

It is canon, its endorsed by 343, no matter how much people bitch and wine about it, its endorsed, its cannon.

MK.V was the first Armour set with self recharging shields. But not the first with shields.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#82 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not in the original run, but were soon upgraded to have shields, red team Spartans based on arcadia, had shields by the first battle of arcadia in 2531. And During the Battle of harvest Daisy 023s armour had energy shields, as when she was knocked to the ground there was an energy discharge.

This is non canon. The Spartans only had shields at arcadia for gameplay purposes 

• Defender0 and Bornstellaris like this

#83 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

thats not canon, shields were not even close to being functional at that point for the UNSC. Also, all spartans in question were wearing MK IV armor. In the case of halo wars, that is just them adding shields in for shits and giggles, it is not really how it happened.

Had almost forgotten that, they were just showing off like how they added the shield recharge sound from Halo CE, safe to say u could not apply canon rules to game mechanics, they didnt want the spartans to die too soon so they gave them shields to make them last the match, I can see now how faction balancing can conflict with canon rules as well, SOTP has done a great job with this problem for the most part.

#84 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Also UNSC had bubble shields during the time in which the MKIV was fielded.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#85 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Gameplay, mate.

It is canon, its endorsed by 343, no matter how much people bitch and wine about it, its endorsed, its cannon.

MK.V was the first Armour set with self recharging shields. But not the first with shields.

Actually you're just wrong.

http://halo.wikia.co..._Halo#Halo_Wars

The bubble shield was the first shield of any type that the UNSC used, yes. 

#86 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Actually you're just wrong.

http://halo.wikia.co..._Halo#Halo_Wars

The bubble shield was the first shield of any type that the UNSC used, yes. 

Apart from the Jackal shields respectivly, ye good find, if we took everything that we see in the games as canon then Johnson really died on the exploding Installation 04 with an elites hand on his ass. :blink:

• Bornstellaris likes this

#87 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Honestly Lord Stark, go read the books. Come back when you're done.

Already have read the books.  I sourced them multiple times.  The games override book canon though as they are the primary source material.  Also don't give me Karen Travesty's BS explanation to Infinity.  Its stated that only the engines are Forerunner.  Those Huragok ARE Forerunner, they aren't Covenant Huragok so if they installed shields and weapons those would be by definition Forerunner.  

#88 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

Already have read the books.  I sourced them multiple times.  The games override book canon though as they are the primary source material.  Also don't give me Karen Travesty's BS explanation to Infinity.  Its stated that only the engines are Forerunner.  Those Huragok ARE Forerunner, they aren't Covenant Huragok so if they installed shields and weapons those would be by definition Forerunner.  

please read this then

reverse engineered forerunner technology

Wouldnt be the first time the UNSC reverse engineered technology from another race. Jackal shields were turned into the SPARTAN shields in the MK V suits, for example. With the huragok, it would be so much easier to reverse engineer things and LEARN how to make forerunner stuff using UNSC technology.

• SPECTRE likes this

#89 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Why does it fucking matter they are UNSC shields because they were built by UNSC Huragok, the UNSC has the resources to maintain them.

I recommend you look up the definition of definition.

Wouldnt be the first time the UNSC reverse engineered technology from another race. Jackal shields were turned into the SPARTAN shields in the MK V suits, for example. With the huragok, it would be so much easier to reverse engineer things and LEARN how to make forerunner stuff using UNSC technology.

Main reason the UNSC didn't have energy weapons is because they couldn't open up covvie weapons because they would explode in their face, Despite the UNSC not actually developing plasma weapons, they still probably had a better clue on how they worked than anyone in the covenant.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#90 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

please read this then

Reverse engineered Forerunner technology is still Forerunner technology.  If its reverse engineered Forerunner technology the artifact interacting with the Infinity would make sense.  But it didn't.  Not even to Halsey.

@SPEC They aren't UNSC Huragok.  They are Forerunner Huragok, found on Trevalyn.  Dr. Halsey built Infinity.  Consider this, it took the UNSC 20 years to make an armor inferior to the Covenant, and yet now they have SHIP shields superior to the Covenant's by a huge margin.  It is pitifully bad writing.  

#91 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Reverse engineered Forerunner technology is still Forerunner technology.  If its reverse engineered Forerunner technology the artifact interacting with the Infinity would make sense.  But it didn't.  Not even to Halsey.

So there is no such thing as covenant technology then?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#92 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Nice red herring.  That's different considering the Covies never had access to Forerunner Huragok. 

#93 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Nice red herring.  That's different considering the Covies never had access to Forerunner Huragok. 

ba ba ba ba ba. The unsc have access to huragok, and a damn sight more than the covenant do.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#94 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

@SPEC They aren't UNSC Huragok.  They are Forerunner Huragok, found on Trevalyn.  Dr. Halsey built Infinity.  Consider this, it took the UNSC 20 years to make an armor inferior to the Covenant, and yet now they have SHIP shields superior to the Covenant's by a huge margin.  It is pitifully bad writing.  

It doesn't matter who's technology it is, If i have a radio jammer, it doesn't matter who made it, it will screw up all radio signals no matter what.

The artifact only affects the engines because it only effects the forerunner method (not necessarily designed by the forerunners) in which the engines work.

How can they be forerunner huragok when all the forerunners are long dead, it would be like  Hiroo Onada, he could no longer serve the japanese empire. 

Covenant shields probably haven't changed since its founding, the UNSC are always Innovating and inventing whereas the covenant do not.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#95 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

It doesn't matter who's technology it is, If i have a radio jammer, it doesn't matter who made it, it will screw up all radio signals no matter what.

The artifact only affects the engines because it only effects the forerunner method (not necessarily designed by the forerunners) in which the engines work.

How can they be forerunner huragok when all the forerunners are long dead, it would be like  Hiroo Onada, he could no longer serve the japanese empire. 

Covenant shields probably haven't changed since its founding, the UNSC are always Innovating and inventing whereas the covenant do not.

I also considered that Halsey was lying.  And its just classified that other systems are Forerunner made.  Maybe HIGHCOM doesn't want people to know their greatest creation is due to their luck in discovering the Forerunner.

#96 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Does that mean the hoover dam may have been made from beaver technology? - someone saw a beaver build a dam and thought (thats a good idea, i'll see if I can do the same).
If the UNSC can't rebuild every aspect of the device using current technology then it cant be called theirs, reverse engineering can only go so far unless you develope a complete understanding of the underlying tech and then build the device from scratch, The infinity still has Forerunner tech because the UNSC is as of yet unable to fabricate an ideal replacement. Think they ripped that idea out of Stargate- the US Airforce using the wreckage of to Go'uld death gliders build one prototype hybrid space capable fighter, most of the ship was Go'uld tech that had hidden safeguards and when the test pilots take the ship out into space the alien tech locks the ships controls on a course back to its Go'uld planet of origin and in doing so the occupants die of old age in the centuries long trip. Course later varients of that fighter are 100% human built.

The Hurogok the covies use are not the same as the ones recovered from the shield world Onyx/Trevalyn, the covies Hurogok may have started off as blank slates and accumulated their knowlege from the recoverd Forerunner relics the covies found, the Onyx ones had been operating the forerunner tech of the shield world since the time of the forerunners, either it was the same ones or they recreated each other if they are capable of ageing and dying.
  • Defender0 and Lord Stark like this

#97 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Can everyone stop feeding Lord Stark already? He's clearly fixated on his ideas and is not reading our posts

• Defender0 and ShadowOfIntent like this

#98 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Except some people are inclined to agree with me.  So they aren't just my ideas.

#99 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Except some people are inclined to agree with me.  So they aren't just my ideas.

Hell if 343I agrees with you that's good enough for me :D :D

• Lord Stark likes this

#100 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

UNSC Infinity engines are the only thing that is actually crystal-clear 100% lean-mean Forerunner. When Sara Palmer said that, she meant that it was an actual engine powered by a energy source that was a Forerunner artifact in it of itself. The rest of it is human, meaning that us humans had actually built everything else. That is easily plausible because of the forerunner Hurogok helping us decipher and reverse-engineer forerunner technology, considering they were created to know and maintain it. So, the installment of strong shields (and energy projectors, 343's claim of those two gun batteries that actually had energy charging up before it fired a beam of DIRECTED ENERGY being MACs is pure stupidity and being ignorant to how coil guns work) in a short amount of time is possible, due to us acquiring the Hurogok and Trevelyan itself. Now, why the Covenant didn't have such strong shields as the Infinity, even though they also had the Hurogok, was explained in ODST. The Covenant kept them as slaves and prisoners, and would blow them up if they were disobedient. So, because they were treated horribly,  there is a huge probability that they didn't share all of their knowledge with the Covenant. 

• Defender0 and Cole Protocol like this
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users