88 replies to this topic

#61 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

You know how the Covenant do not really understand/make optimal use of Forerunner technology, usually ending up with pale imitations and innovating slowly?  And how in First Strike I think, Cortana altered a captured Covenant vessel's remaining plasma weaponry to turn them into far more potent weapons to better bring out the limited potential of their ship design?

Perhaps UNSC captured Covenant vessels could be improved under the powers of that faction.  By this I mean, the power in the game is a team of spartans capture a ship and upload an AI.  Well, would it be possible for that AI to also improve the capability of that ship in any way?  I am not saying majorly at all such as drastically altering the weapons (and I have no idea how that would even work in the game engine), but maybe just slightly improved shields, slightly improved speed, and/or slightly improved weapons.  Come to think of it, maybe the only reason Cortana was able to do that was due to her time spent in Forerunner constructs, and that springs to mind maybe a later game research option.  Just a thought.

EDIT:  So apparently I am wrong, it has a long while since I read the books and I could have swore there was something about AIs bringing the fuller potential of Covenant designs in them somewhere.

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#62 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:29 AM

The covie ship in first strike had stronger plasma weapons because they rigged the mac's magnetic coils to the cannon, increasing it's power output.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#63 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

The covie ship in first strike had stronger plasma weapons because they rigged the mac's magnetic coils to the cannon, increasing it's power output.

if i remember correctly the UNSC Gettysburg expended all its MAC rounds, the superconducting coils for the ship's MAC gun were used to shape a fire a plasma charge to destroy the enemy ship.

This probably explains the UNSC infinity now having energy weapons too.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#64 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:22 AM

When Cortana informs them that the magnetic coils used to shape the plasma aren't working, John comes up with the idea to use the magnetic coils of the Gettysburg's MAC gun to shape it. The ploy works, creating a super-charged plasma torpedo that obliterates the Covenant ship, but also further damages the G.A.J, destroying the super-charged plasma turret.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#65 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

When Cortana informs them that the magnetic coils used to shape the plasma aren't working, John comes up with the idea to use the magnetic coils of the Gettysburg's MAC gun to shape it. The ploy works, creating a super-charged plasma torpedo that obliterates the Covenant ship, but also further damages the G.A.J, destroying the super-charged plasma turret.

I think we both misread each others comment, we're both getting at the MAC fired a plasma shot.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#66 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

if i remember correctly the UNSC Gettysburg expended all its MAC rounds, the superconducting coils for the ship's MAC gun were used to shape a fire a plasma charge to destroy the enemy ship.

This probably explains the UNSC infinity now having energy weapons too.

Infinity does not have Energy Weapons. That is just the new animation style for the MACs.  As much as it'd make sense, it does not.

#67 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

Infinity does not have Energy Weapons. That is just the new animation style for the MACs.  As much as it'd make sense, it does not.

Well, not impossible, well maybe *insert spartan laser noise here*

#68 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Right, Uni will tell you they are no macs.

WAY TOO SLOW

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#69 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

She originally did not use Gettysburg's MAC, that was only when she could not bring the turret online; at Reach she modified the turrets themselves.

EDIT: the SD is not balanced to canon, Scifi and I spent an hour and a half setting up BG X-ray and the SD at an ice planet, but when he fired the SD was dead before nukes hit.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#70 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

She originally did not use Gettysburg's MAC, that was only when she could not bring the turret online; at Reach she modified the turrets themselves.

It was more to do with targeting if i member correctly, rather than the design itself.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#71 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Right, Uni will tell you they are no macs.

WAY TOO SLOW

I post in the Halo Waypoint forums.  I'm telling you they are macs.  Infinity has two prow mounted Macs and two rear.  That's what those weapons you see fired against Mantle's Approach are.

#72 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

I post in the Halo Waypoint forums.  I'm telling you they are macs.  Infinity has two prow mounted Macs and two rear.  That's what those weapons you see fired against Mantle's Approach are.

According to the official and first specification.

Like two macs could pass thought forerunner shields and at least 200M of armour, too. No way.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#73 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

This piece of official work should clear up the confusion-

Spoiler

Yes, MAC guns and only MAC guns.

#74 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

This piece of official work should clear up the confusion-

Spoiler

Yes, MAC guns and only MAC guns.

Your going to start off Uni again...

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#75 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

No SPECTRE, he's not. Uni has agreed that there are only macs on the Infinity, he and the rest of the dev team simply disagree with the way they were animated and the kind of damage they did to the Mantles Approach.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#76 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

No SPECTRE, he's not. Uni has agreed that there are only macs on the Infinity, he and the rest of the dev team simply disagree with the way they were animated and the kind of damage they did to the Mantles Approach.

Oh thank god, they should have really gone over those animations and placeholders, before shelving it, so can i go back to believing their MACs

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#77 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Its easier to consider each ship's faction tech level and infrastructure, be it the Infinity is far more advanced than any covenant vessel it is still backed by the UNSC's infrastructure as a whole e.g. their are factories and forges on human worlds that fabricate the materials, fuel, ammunition and equipment that every ship needs and needs to keep operating so as long as the UNSC continues to rely on chemicat ballistic or magnetically proppelled firepower they cant suddenly leap 1000 years in tech level and start harvesting high energy plasma from gas giants as the Covenant have been doing for their Plasma based weapons.

#78 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Its easier to consider each ship's faction tech level and infrastructure, be it the Infinity is far more advanced than any covenant vessel it is still backed by the UNSC's infrastructure as a whole e.g. their are factories and forges on human worlds that fabricate the materials, fuel, ammunition and equipment that every ship needs and needs to keep operating so as long as the UNSC continues to rely on chemicat ballistic or magnetically proppelled firepower they cant suddenly leap 1000 years in tech level and start harvesting high energy plasma from gas giants as the Covenant have been doing for their Plasma based weapons.

A lot of use it is giving a soldier a plasma weapon, without the means to charge it.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#79 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

A lot of use it is giving a soldier a plasma weapon, without the means to charge it.

Ye on second thoughts it would have been quicker if I'd just posted ^that^. :)

That the other thing that was touched on but not elaborate on in a previous chat about the Infinity at reach, the plasma barrage the covenant use has a limited supply, they dont have infinite ammo, not sure if the ships can directly extract the hydrogen from gas giants or just rely on facilities similar to the one in halo 2, the Forerunner gas miner above the atmosphere of Threshold, I wonder if this could be applied to SOTP, for your fleet to glass a planet u have to find a gass giant first and extract enough fuel for the plasma .

#80 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

Ye on second thoughts it would have been quicker if I'd just posted ^that^. :)

That the other thing that was touched on but not elaborate on in a previous chat about the Infinity at reach, the plasma barrage the covenant use has a limited supply, they dont have infinite ammo, not sure if the ships can directly extract the hydrogen from gas giants or just rely on facilities similar to the one in halo 2, the Forerunner gas miner above the atmosphere of Threshold, I wonder if this could be applied to SOTP, for your fleet to glass a planet u have to find a gass giant first and extract enough fuel for the plasma .

umm ok, im not even a developer, but i can already tell hard coding would stop that right there. Plus kinda kills the mood and feel of sotp, and well the game if the map does not have a gas giant.

• Bornstellaris likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users