90 replies to this topic

#21 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Feels pretty well balanced so far. Strike craft can be a little overwhelming at times and i think destroyers could stand to be given just a bit more armor or HP. And if i remember correctly aren't most of the ships going to lose the ability to assault planets directly? (without using an ability)

#22 mrBurgerface

mrBurgerface

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I don't have any legitimate complaints, I love this mod (I can't find any other way of saying without sounding like a kiss ass). The battles happen so fast. Every battle feels like its stripped from the Eric Nylund books.

Also, these are some of the things I've noticed.

Sabre's are REALLY strong, only 2 are needed and can take down multiple Halcyon. It's really impressive. I'm trying to think of underpowered vehicles, but I honestly can't think of any. I do know the Orion has a ridiculous range though. The nukes launch range is pretty short, even when fully upgraded, I usually have to expose my capitals to the barrages of macs. And one last thing, does the weapons upgrade on the starbase do anything? Maybe I didn't see it or the fact my base got annihilated so fast, but it feels like it did nothing to boost the weapons.

And 1 question: Is there any ship that has a bigger range than the SMACs? Like the Torpedo Launchers that the TEC has?
  • PrestonCole likes this

#23 hujgup

hujgup

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

I'm having trouble with differentiating ships from one another when their icons pop up. On my screen at least, they seem pixelated, which normally wouldn't be a problem, but since the icons are (mostly) silhouettes, I can't really tell the difference between things like the Prowler, Charon and Paris frigates. On a similar note, the Halcyon and Refit Halcyon icons look the same to me, which could be a problem when trying to prioritize targets.

#24 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

Orion has more MAC range then the SMACs do

EDIT: This is in response to 2 posts up, not a bug report
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#25 Nevik

Nevik

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationONI Officer's Club.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

The only problem I have is with the voice of a few of the units. The Orion-class is just plain annoying at times, and the Valiant-class can be that way too.

#26 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I think the Valiant VO is just as good as the Halcyon, i feel like its actually preston cole in there lol

#27 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I dislike the Orion-class too.

#28 syferis

syferis

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

ok i have seen this so far playing.

i can build starbases without researching the tech to build the ship that lets you bulid them.

when i upgrade weapons on the starbases the dont show up on the window for the starbases and it doesnt seem that they are doing any more damage. i researched the tech to see if it fixed the problem but it didnt.

dont know if this is just me or others are seeing it also.

#29 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Something I noticed is possibly making mac rounds easier to see for smaller vessels from a high view. I love looking at the battles close up as much as the next guy but commanding a fleet is semi difficult when Im zoomed in that close so I can keep track of the mac rounds fired at the target. Otherwise the mod is awesome. I havnt had problems with any of the voices and the ships look amazing. Supercarriers I think will have to be increased in cost to make it so you cant rush it to get it for free without putting yourself at huge risk. I cant remember off the top of my head but if they only take 1 capital ship crew you could increase it to 2 capital ship crews and the fleet pop it requires. Make it have the requirements a titan might have (save the research)

bDNWw7L.png

#30 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Another note, the music for the game is well done and recorded. Might not carry Halo in every tune, but it carries Sci Fi and thats essentially what this is.

bDNWw7L.png

#31 DEMONTHESE2211

DEMONTHESE2211

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

The game seems pretty well balanced so far. The only complaint I would have would be strike craft appear to be a bit too powerful and a little too difficult to kill.

#32 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

The Phoenix carrier voice is annoying, and the nukes are too short of a range to actually be useful. half the time by the time the nuke goes off, my frigates had moved in because the capital had to get close to the enemy.
Spoiler

#33 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

i think thats half the strategy of using nukes. only vetted capital ships can launch long range nukes, otherwise both fleets would nuke each other into oblivion. Short ranges make it so you cant just rush your one capital ship up without it getting punished. Hell it makes the strategy of sending your own frigates to die but using them as a meatshield/distraction while you launch your nuke into their blob. Personally I think nukes are fine and provide that extra bit of strategy

bDNWw7L.png

#34 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

My personal opinion of everything worth having an opinion about:

The Nukes need to at least have the same range as the MAC of the ship firing it, with the exception of the amazingly ridiculous range of the Orion-class battleship, (the only time I was able to use nukes effectively is when an enemy fleet jumped in right on my Orion's ass and she nuked both sides of their fleet) the voice-overs are occasionally a bit hard to understand, but it's not really something that ruins the game, and the music is awesome.
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#35 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

But if a nuke has the same range as a mac then whats the point? Where is the risk? Then it becomes a war on who can mass produce the most stuff that fastest due to that there is no way to stop a nuke from blowing up your fleet. Then youll get capital ship spam and frigates become worthless since they can just get nuked by level 1 capital ships. It really depends on the strategy game you want. If you want CoH/Homeworld 2 like strategy where keeping your forces alive benefit you then that idea would negate any sort of survival. If you want C&C or Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Middle Earth like game play where the idea is just to cause mass carnage and spam your god mode unit then the nuke idea works as it is sure to do just that.

bDNWw7L.png

#36 PrestonCole

PrestonCole

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

so Super Carrier (aka MRN Supremacy so i can use this in later ref) the MRN Supremacy was the best planet defender i had taking on small fleets of ships. my friend is not good at commanding fleets. so i had to send the Supremacy for planet defense it destroyed everything! it lasted a good part of the game until a massive fleet came in the Supremacy was destroy and not a single f*** was given. i believe my words were "dammit Jared you didn't tell me there was a massiv fleet coming to the planet" his words " HA no" i said "oh well there cheap i will just buy another" so yes the super carrier needs to cost more. also for Nevik perhaps you don't understand the voice of the Valiant maybe the reason why is because all the quotes are new to you thats why my friend didn't like it at first then i told him about them, so maybe you could read The Impossible Life and Death of Preston Cole. also since my friends are to afraid to post on here my friend jared hates the phoenix carrier (not refit) voice i don't know why but he does, my other friend has no problem with the mod except the flood which i see alot of people had problems with. thank you for reading.

#37 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

But if a nuke has the same range as a mac then whats the point? Where is the risk? Then it becomes a war on who can mass produce the most stuff that fastest due to that there is no way to stop a nuke from blowing up your fleet. Then youll get capital ship spam and frigates become worthless since they can just get nuked by level 1 capital ships. It really depends on the strategy game you want. If you want CoH/Homeworld 2 like strategy where keeping your forces alive benefit you then that idea would negate any sort of survival. If you want C&C or Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Middle Earth like game play where the idea is just to cause mass carnage and spam your god mode unit then the nuke idea works as it is sure to do just that.

It is worth noting that nukes get significantly stronger with levels... A level 3 shiva is much worse than a level 1
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#38 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

also since my friends are to afraid to post on here

Lol why are they afraid?

#39 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Just started a match on the map 2543 (I think?). I absolutely love the idea and this is definitely one of the few mods that can pull it off. My only suggestion is this: Obviously it will become even better as soon as Covenant are properly in (somehow I doubt the ONI prowler spam two minutes in was purely the A.I.) but are all the starting levels deliberately put as they are? I'm talking about asteroids and infrastructure. I found myself spending a lot of time simply building hundreds of extractors and increasing planetary levels so I was actually earning credits. My suggestions would be: possibly remove the asteroids on some systems (simplifies the game and possibly makes it harder, or at least less easy to field a fleet two seconds into the game) and give most, if not all planets a decent starting level just so we start with at least a slow trickle of income. As I say, if all of this was deliberate ignore me; it's just I do consider myself something of a Sin's veteran (177 hours on Rebellion alone. Worrying.) but even I'm just not used to having to mange thirty-odd planets in the first minute of a game and it was a tiny bit overwhelming.
Thanks guys. Keep it up.

#40 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

They are hard to manage until you get used to having that many planets. It places you in a difficult position early on it's part of the challenge with those maps. A solution to make it a little easier would be to put quick start on.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users