• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Scientific ships

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#21 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Hell in retrospect they should never have built the Infinity, that ship has a large bullseye painted on the side of its hull. Remembering back to the live action Halo 4 Infinity trailer and seeing the terrified crew when the ship is pulled into requiem thinking thats not the end of their hardship, it will be one disaster after the other with Forerunner Knights, armed boarding parties, covenant glassing beams and god knows whats coming in Halo 5 and other books, might have been better off just building a fleet of assault carriers with some of the Infinity capabilities instead of putting all their eggs in one basket.

#22 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

I really hope the mod doesn't make Infinity as shitty as it turned out to be. Please make it worthy of the name and status.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#23 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

Anyways even on infinity its a no. That whole labs on ships was put in for a specific vanilla faction to fit their narrative.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#24 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

This. Maybe one for civics to reflect "damn eggheads" as put by Sarah Palmer. Regardless, it isn't happening agig. I wasn't sure how public I'm allowed to be in discussing the playtesters version but since someone else mentioned it, the amount of barren dwarf planets (more like moons now, I feel that would be a better name) is insane Insaene. You really don't need a huge empire to get max tech anymore. 2 barren dwarf planets is enough for all 8, and then some. You'll be fine.

Besides, Insaene knows from personal experience the Covenant doesn't need any more buffs :)

I see what you mean now.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#25 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hell in retrospect they should never have built the Infinity, that ship has a large bullseye painted on the side of its hull. Remembering back to the live action Halo 4 Infinity trailer and seeing the terrified crew when the ship is pulled into requiem thinking thats not the end of their hardship, it will be one disaster after the other with Forerunner Knights, armed boarding parties, covenant glassing beams and god knows whats coming in Halo 5 and other books, might have been better off just building a fleet of assault carriers with some of the Infinity capabilities instead of putting all their eggs in one basket.

The Infinity was primarily meant to be a fallback for humanity in the event of Earth falling to the Covenant. As the Cov-Human war came to a close, it was then used for a bunch of experimental tests and equipment. Seeing as how it already was made, it would be a waste not to use it. That being said, there is no need to make more ships of this size.

#26 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

The Infinity was primarily meant to be a fallback for humanity in the event of Earth falling to the Covenant. As the Cov-Human war came to a close, it was then used for a bunch of experimental tests and equipment. Seeing as how it already was made, it would be a waste not to use it. That being said, there is no need to make more ships of this size.

False. It was built to drive the covenant from earth should earth ever come under attack. I'm not sure why the rumour of it being some sort of ark still persists.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#27 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

It's a point theyve made even in the original book trilogy, the UNSC technologically could beat the Covenant, they just needed time as they were slowly closing the gap between them. The UNSC fundamentally are inovative while the Covenant are imitative but the discovery of reach and later earth drastically cut down the time they have left so they may have had a lot of secret projectsleft unfinished till after the war. The Infinity is used to enforce their madate of tracking down all remaining Halo rings also to hunt down the last of the CAS Assault Carriers(or any covenant ship capable of planetary glassing) to ensure no human world would ever be glassed again.

#28 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

Infinity was never used to hunt down CASes.  Also the technology gap wasn't closed if a 700 meter wide space station with a glassing cannon can cripple Infinity in seconds.  With that in mind two CAS-class Assault Carriers would absolutely demolish Infinity.  So much for being ironically outclassed in weaponry.

#29 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Why does everyone call it a fucking glassing cannon? It's an energy projector.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#30 Andy493

Andy493

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Steam:andy_493
  • LocationSewaren NJ

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

If I am not mistaken Infinity's job was to carry high ranking officers to a distant planet of which I don't remember but came into contact with Requiem [sorry for spelling the planet name wrong]. Not to fight other covenant Ships the massive size just held more Officers and weaponry for defensive weapons and landing ships. But in infinity's Defense it could take on other large ships if need be it was capable of doing so also it housed siege frigates which could of helped.

[Correct me if I am wrong]

#31 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'm almost positive you're mostly wrong. It was just a defensive measure for Earth, but since Onyx was secured ONI held off the launch so all of the new Forerunner tech they were getting could be implemented and installed correctly. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Infinity was just out looking for Halo rings until it picked up the Dawn's distress beacon. The ship was made to do the job of an entire fleet on it's own. Planetary subjugation, ship to ship, orbital bombardment, support, fighter/bomber carrier, Infinity did it all.

Too bad it has to be raped for the development of the plot. Infinity probably couldn't have taken on anything more than a single CAS, thanks to it's holy-fuck-how-are-you-making-craters MAC gun, which I'm sure has an insane reload time.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#32 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

Why does everyone call it a fucking glassing cannon? It's an energy projector.

Slight difference. Energy projectors are generally used for ship to ship combat. A glassing cannon is a more powerful type of energy projector, generally used for ship to ground warfare and excavating artefacts. So the glassing cannon is set centrally for that purpose, they can't be used for space combat because it uses so much energy that it takes down shields in the vicinity, leaving the ship wide open to being attacked from below, hence why noble 6 took it out with a lowly onager.
With that in mind I think that infinity could possible take on four to five CAS class vessels.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#33 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

Slight difference. Energy projectors are generally used for ship to ship combat. A glassing cannon is a more powerful type of energy projector, generally used for ship to ground warfare and excavating artefacts. So the glassing cannon is set centrally for that purpose, they can't be used for space combat because it uses so much energy that it takes down shields in the vicinity, leaving the ship wide open to being attacked from below, hence why noble 6 took it out with a lowly onager.
With that in mind I think that infinity could possible take on four to five CAS class vessels.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. http://www.halopedia...nergy_projector

Spoiler

Spoiler

#34 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:24 AM

I don't think you know what you're talking about. http://www.halopedia...nergy_projector

Key words:

Glassing

cannon

more

powerful

type

energy

projector.

Also i would not recommend using halopedia.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#35 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:30 AM

....okay. And you do understand the shields are only dropped for seconds since it doesn't need sustained fire like a glassing operation. Until someone else agrees with you this is heresay as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#36 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

....okay. And you do understand the shields are only dropped for seconds since it doesn't need sustained fire like a glassing operation. Until someone else agrees with you this is heresay as far as I'm concerned.

The intense amount of energy formed during the charging of a glassing cannon alone is enough to knock out shields, hence why Kat was killed at new alexandria.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#37 Andy493

Andy493

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSewaren NJ

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

SPECTRE IS CORRECT IF I READ THAT PAGE CORRECT here is A SMALL QUOTE FROM THE WIKI LINK HE POSTED "It also seems to drain all or most of the energy in a Covenant ship for a brief period, unless the ship is big enough to supply the power without too much of a drain. " So unless the ship have a massive energy storage the ship will loose its shield rendering it shield less for a short time".
  • SPECTRE likes this

#38 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

SPECTRE IS CORRECT IF I READ THAT PAGE CORRECT here is A SMALL QUOTE FROM THE WIKI LINK HE POSTED "It also seems to drain all or most of the energy in a Covenant ship for a brief period, unless the ship is big enough to supply the power without too much of a drain. " So unless the ship have a massive energy storage the ship will loose its shield rendering it shield less for a short time".

...that's not at all what we're discussing. We're discussing if there is any difference between a glassing cannon or an energy projector. I'm almost positive they're the exact same thing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#39 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:32 AM

The intense amount of energy formed during the charging of a glassing cannon alone is enough to knock out shields, hence why Kat was killed at new alexandria.

Yeah, I understand that. The ENERGY PROJECTOR gives off a ton of radiation. But the only reason six got a shot at the CSS was because it was being charged, and was at a higher power setting (hence the beams being red in that as opposed to the lighter blue seen excavating the artifact in Kenya) so it would, of course, have knocked out shields. Otherwise, in space battles, that level of energy isn't needed and it takes only seconds (look at the Marathon being atomized in Halo 2) to be effective.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#40 Andy493

Andy493

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSewaren NJ

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

From what both or you are saying they are the same but people call it two different things both meaning the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users