66 replies to this topic

#41 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

They do wear the same armor as we saw at the end of The Pillar Of Autumn.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#42 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Who says that the marines and army can't share the same armour? In The Royal Marines and the British army, we ware the exact same uniform.
I don't see how that incomprehensible to some people.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

I love it.

STOP RELATING TO BRITAIN DAMNIT

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#43 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

I love it.

STOP RELATING TO BRITAIN DAMNIT

Just because the USMC and us army do t wear the same doesn't mean the rest if the world does the Same.
I mean the US DOD. Has a uniform for every branch, that's a logistical nightmare.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#44 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Just because the USMC and us army do t wear the same doesn't mean the rest if the world does the Same.
I mean the US DOD. Has a uniform for every branch, that's a logistical nightmare.

No, i dont really care if its pertaining to the US or not.

just stop relating to the fucking UK in every single god damn thread

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#45 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

No, i dont really care if its pertaining to the US or not.

just stop relating to the fucking UK in every single god damn thread

No you.
Also I'm sending this from my wifi toaster so I must e right.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#46 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

They have wifi toasters?

In all seriousness, though, thats not how the App works and you're not fooling anyone.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#47 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

They have wifi toasters?

In all seriousness, though, thats not how the App works and you're not fooling anyone.

Not just WiFi... they've got 4G LTE toasters too! Toast your toast from anywhere, exclusively on Verizon's 4G LTE network. Free* for the first 6 months!

RemoteToast™ requires an active data plan. Subject to additional fees. RemoteToast™ is a registered trademark of the WiFi Toaster Company.
  • Defender0, Bornstellaris and Fleet Admiral agigabyte like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#48 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Not just WiFi... they've got 4G LTE toasters too! Toast your toast from anywhere, exclusively on Verizon's 4G LTE network. Free* for the first 6 months!

RemoteToast™ requires an active data plan. Subject to additional fees. RemoteToast™ is a registered trademark of the WiFi Toaster Company.

Spoiler

#49 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Halo CE to Reach all had a good take on sci-fi marine armor. Halo 4 landed flat on it's face though when it came to making nonsensical, generic and just plain boring marine armor. How is going back to soft kevlar fibres and tiny flimsy tack-on plates a good idea?
  • SternuS, SPECTRE and Lavo like this
Sweden can into gender!

#50 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Halo CE to Reach all had a good take on sci-fi marine armor. Halo 4 landed flat on it's face though when it came to making nonsensical, generic and just plain boring marine armor. How is going back to soft kevlar fibres and tiny flimsy tack-on plates a good idea?

I don't think its soft armour, i imagine its plates of some kind, i imagine the plates used on marines in 1,2,3,4 are some sort of ceramic, as metal has a lower chemical resilience compared to kevlar.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#51 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

I don't think its soft armour, i imagine its plates of some kind, i imagine the plates used on marines in 1,2,3,4 are some sort of ceramic, as metal has a lower chemical resilience compared to kevlar.

Yea, the armor used to consist of sturdy ceramic armor covering large parts of the body. In halo 4 however marine armor seems to be soft kevlar since hardlight rounds tore right through them in spartan ops.
Sweden can into gender!

#52 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Yea, the armor used to consist of sturdy ceramic armor covering large parts of the body. In halo 4 however marine armor seems to be soft kevlar since hardlight rounds tore right through them in spartan ops.

I don't think that's soft kevlar, i think that's just a regular plate carrier, like conventional modern day ones. i don't see why they did this because even nonflammable stuff (i was going to use inflammable there) Can catch fire, it just takes more energy to break the bonds enough to catch fire, and plasma burns at what temperature? Must mean that 90% of the UNSC casualties must be from its own plate carriers catching fire.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#53 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

I don't think that's soft kevlar, i think that's just a regular plate carrier, like conventional modern day ones. i don't see why they did this because even nonflammable stuff (i was going to use inflammable there) Can catch fire, it just takes more energy to break the bonds enough to catch fire, and plasma burns at what temperature? Must mean that 90% of the UNSC casualties must be from its own plate carriers catching fire.

That is why marine armor in Halo 4 make no sense. If you look closely you can see the shape of the marines chest through the body armor implying that it is soft. Furthermore I have a hard time understanding why ceramic armor plates is a extra addition not supplied to all marines instead of standard? Even at the siege of Earth groundforces marines still were issued ceramic battle plate that covered most of the body.
Sweden can into gender!

#54 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

That is why marine armor in Halo 4 make no sense. If you look closely you can see the shape of the marines chest through the body armor implying that it is soft. Furthermore I have a hard time understanding why ceramic armor plates is a extra addition not supplied to all marines instead of standard? Even at the siege of Earth groundforces marines still were issued ceramic battle plate that covered most of the body.

Good spot, but perhaps, its some sort of connected armour, we operationally tested some back in '12 that was one plate rather than the four.

ACtually it may be because in the halo 4 essential visual guide, it is implied that earth marines have better equipment, and that a lot of infinities marine detachment is in fact not from earth, so that could make sense.

Like back when i did my first ever tour of iraq i was issued ECBA which just had a small kevlar or steel plate that covered the heart and the rest was rubber,but when i first went to afghanistan in 2006 i was issued a set of osprey class armour which is more modern, but non combat personnel were issued ECBA still.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#55 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

I dunno why I have to keep repeating this but marines have titanium A plates as body armor, not ceramic or metal. Not sure about Halo 4 ones though

Spoiler

Spoiler

#56 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

I dunno why I have to keep repeating this but marines have titanium A plates as body armor, not ceramic or metal. Not sure about Halo 4 ones though

Source?

ODST is stated as ceramic somewhere.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#57 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Source?
ODST is stated as ceramic somewhere.

"Its primary use is as armor for ships. UNSC frigates have sixty centimeters of plating on their hull, and UNSC Destroyers have up to two meters of plating. Supercarriers like the UNSC Trafalgar had 10 meters. The UNSC Infinity has a mere 4.9 meters, but it is composed of the artificially strengthened Ti-A3 and is protected by Forerunner shielding. Marines sometimes have thin Titanium-A armor suits, though these suits are an increasingly rare sight since they are slowly being replaced by ceramic variants, such as those seen on the ODSTs in Halo 3."

oops

Spoiler

Spoiler

#58 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

"Its primary use is as armor for ships. UNSC frigates have sixty centimeters of plating on their hull, and UNSC Destroyers have up to two meters of plating. Supercarriers like the UNSC Trafalgar had 10 meters. The UNSC Infinity has a mere 4.9 meters, but it is composed of the artificially strengthened Ti-A3 and is protected by Forerunner shielding. Marines sometimes have thin Titanium-A armor suits, though these suits are an increasingly rare sight since they are slowly being replaced by ceramic variants, such as those seen on the ODSTs in Halo 3."

oops

There. I wouldn't ware titanium even if you gave me large amounts of money.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#59 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Good spot, but perhaps, its some sort of connected armour, we operationally tested some back in '12 that was one plate rather than the four.
ACtually it may be because in the halo 4 essential visual guide, it is implied that earth marines have better equipment, and that a lot of infinities marine detachment is in fact not from earth, so that could make sense.
Like back when i did my first ever tour of iraq i was issued ECBA which just had a small kevlar or steel plate that covered the heart and the rest was rubber,but when i first went to afghanistan in 2006 i was issued a set of osprey class armour which is more modern, but non combat personnel were issued ECBA still.

Well a osprey type off setup is still a odd choice for a halo marine aboard humanitys MOST POWERFUL SHIP EVAH considering that prior to Halo 4, even the most basic marine armor was much more comprehensive and still had trouble surviving covenant small-arms fire. Now that weak armor is supposed to keep Infinity safe? Maybe that's why the Infinity almost got captured 3+ times by hostile boarders?
  • SPECTRE likes this
Sweden can into gender!

#60 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Infinity has Titanium A3 which is a titanium-forerunner metal alloy. Also, shields. It got boarded 3 times because the plot demanded it

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users