83 replies to this topic

#61 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

learn to read, im far from the first one to bring up SMACs, i was just putting numbers to a discussion. move along now

SMACs were relevant. The planet smashing stat wasn't.

So back to the Covie capital.

How 'bout an ability that would "boost morale" similar to finest hour.

Voice of the Prophet -- engine/shield/firepower boost to all Covenant forces within range of the Prophet's voice.

I think we have a pretty good list compiled here for the CAS. The Battleship and the Adjudicator are still lacking, though. And I guess the DDS if that's looking for modification. 

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#62 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

SMACs were relevant. The planet smashing stat wasn't. 

it was a comparison of how much firepower SMACs have compared to something were somewhat familiar with. you can drop it now.

#63 ARC 179

ARC 179

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAWOL

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

So seeing a lot of siege based abilities here. Saw a similar ability in STA3 and loved it

Cull: (PASSIVE) The sight of a covenant ship hovering over a city is a terrifying thing to witness, panic spreads throughout the populace as people run and seek shelter from the inevitable. (Small percentage of the population is killed through panic over time.)

Symbolic Sacrifice: As other Covenant capitals fall and die the crew of the vessel becomes more and more enraged allowing for more damage to be dealt and faster ship movement.

Death from Beyond: Covenant Spec Ops invade a vessel and cause havoc within the ship. (Damage dealt over time) Should the vessel fall below 10 percent health all remaining Spec Ops will show their devotion to their faith by detonating charges placed on or within their body destroying critical systems and the ship.

Writ of the Runes: When the vermin fleets have fled the system a shipmaster is granted the ultimate honor of emblazoning a Rune of the Covenant into a planet. (Massive damage to the planet loooooong cooldown.) Requires no hostile ships insystem.

Through Blood and Faith: Certain ships in the Covenant armada have been observed to share shielding with others in times of need. (Caster takes damage for defended ship, replenishes small amount of shields.)

Honor of our Fathers: Sangheili controled ships are noted for their strict discipline and refined tactics. (Ship gains increased weapon damage for a short time.)

Micro Jump: Covenant slipspace engines allow for more precise jumps. (capitals perform a miniature jump anywhere within a gravity well.)

Ex cineribus surgebaum

XBL GT: Same as username.

Commanding officer of the UNSC Buttmad

#64 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

SO I have a few for the DDS Carrier

- Spec Ops Shangelli Pilots(or if there is one in the books that I can't remember a covie fighter squad name), These elite Pilots are reknown thorugh out the Covenant as great Pilots (seraphs have better Manuverability and are faster) Level 4 I think would be good

- Grunt Emergency Pilots, When the Ship is near death as many Grunts as possible are put into Seraphs to kill the Heretics and Please the gods. (Seraphs are rebuilt faster when ships drops below 15% health. Level 2

-Modified Brute Seraphs, Squads of specially modified Seraphs made for Brutes are loaded onto the DDS. (Higher Damage and more Health for seraphs.) Level 6/5 I got this from the brute Plasma Rifle which do more damage and the Choppers which are really durable.

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#65 Armatarge

Armatarge

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFOB Baker

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

-

#66 Armatarge

Armatarge

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFOB Baker

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

No, it's a completely broken and overpowered idea that would never get in. Besides, you can't actually think you can glass an entire planet in 15 seconds. Unfeasable in the engine anyhow.

Wrong: Lord Hood (COM): "Cortana! Concentrate your fire on the first carrier. Admiral, do what you can against the second."
And that stat is against a Covenant Capital Ship (CCS) Assault Carrier shield capabilities are unknown.

Let me reword my last.

Capital ships tend to be Assault carriers in most cases, so thats why you hear Hood refer to the ships as Carriers, even though regrets ship is a capital ship. Also, like said before; the amount of Thermodynamic energy released would still vaporise the ship, regardless of how strong the ships shields are, or whether the shields even withstood the shot.

Anyway, dont let me drag the thread of topic again

#67 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:20 PM

Let me reword my last.
Capital ships tend to be Assault carriers in most cases, so thats why you hear Hood refer to the ships as Carriers, even though regrets ship is a capital ship. Also, like said before; the amount of Thermodynamic energy released would still vaporise the ship, regardless of how strong the ships shields are, or whether the shields even withstood the shot.

Anyway, dont let me drag the thread of topic again

I'm not sure what your definition of capital ship is but: http://halo.wikia.co...ki/Capital_ship
Going off of Star Wars any ship with a length over 100m could be a capital ship. The term capital ship is basically any ship capable of operating on it's own for an extended period of time. I think even an SDV is a light capital warship. CCS stands for Covenant Capital Ship, the main warship of the Covenant Navy.

Anyhow, I'm going off of the assumption that contemporary physics don't apply here. In this universe you have weapons that can wipe a galaxy clean of life in seconds and entire empires built off of neural physics. You have extra-galactic parasites. I don't think a shield taking a real fast chunk of tungsten is too much of a stretch. If you would like to explain to me how it survived an SMAC gauntlet, please do.

I was not using the term incorrectly and we still do not know how strong it's shields are. Mantle's Approach ignored them just fine.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#68 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

My Ideas:

CCS-class

Role: Long Range Heavy Cruiser

Ability1: Precision Strike

Description: Shipmaster orders vessel to fire a pair of low charged precision shots slowing down engine speed and increasing weapon cool downs.

Ability2: Huragok Engineering

Description:  Ship shuts down weapon systems and engines to enter a rapid repair and recharge cycle.  

CPV-class

Role: Short Range Heavy Cruiser

Ability1: Broadside Cannons

Description:  All power is diverted to close range weapons increasing its combat effectiveness inside a certain radius.  

CRS-class

Role: Light Cruiser/ Vanguard

Ability1: Screens enemy warships taking shots meant for larger vessels.

CAS-class 

Role: Flagship (Could also be a Titan)

Ability1: Test of Faith

Description: All power is diverted to weapons and shields for a push through enemy lines.  

Ability2: Invasion

Description: Lauches a Phantom dropship swarm (similar to what you see at the start of Halo 4).

Ability3: Covenant Battlenet

Description: Fleet Commander taps into the battle net delivering a rallying cry though out the gravity well increasing performance in battle.

Ability4: Slipspace Grid 

Description: A High Councilor has boarded to oversee the fleet, the safety of this individual is paramount and as a result we have access to the slipspace grid to call in reinforcements from anywhere in this sector.

CSV-class battleship: (Should be at least as long as the CAS if Titan)

Ability1: Full barrage

Description: Fires a multiple barrages at enemy warships.

Ability2: Sermon

Description: A Hierarch's (or Arbiter if Elites are chosen) delivers his sermon (speech) though out the gravity well increasing effectiveness of our forces.

Ability3: Forerunner armor

Description: Further examination of reliquaries and the Forerunner Dreadnought at High Charity has given us greater understanding of our Lord's designs.

Ability4: Slipspace stabilizer

Description: (Maybe a returning armada esq ability can be used with this.)

Ability5: Plasma Lance
Description: Human engineering (Elites) Forerunner engineering (Covie Remnant) has lead to a powerful new weapon.

Ability6: Stasis Enfolder System (mentioned in Halo 4: Encyclopedia, no idea what it actually does)

Description: Freeze units within a certain radius. 

#69 Armatarge

Armatarge

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFOB Baker

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

I'm not sure what your definition of capital ship is but: http://halo.wikia.co...ki/Capital_ship
Going off of Star Wars any ship with a length over 100m could be a capital ship. The term capital ship is basically any ship capable of operating on it's own for an extended period of time. I think even an SDV is a light capital warship. CCS stands for Covenant Capital Ship, the main warship of the Covenant Navy.

Anyhow, I'm going off of the assumption that contemporary physics don't apply here. In this universe you have weapons that can wipe a galaxy clean of life in seconds and entire empires built off of neural physics. You have extra-galactic parasites. I don't think a shield taking a real fast chunk of tungsten is too much of a stretch. If you would like to explain to me how it survived an SMAC gauntlet, please do.

I was not using the term incorrectly and we still do not know how strong it's shields are. Mantle's Approach ignored them just fine.

I dont think you understood what I was trying to say, nor did the article you linked disprove what i was saying. The article says what to expect from a capital ship, not what specific class they are. Assault Carriers, Battlecruisers, Supercruisers, Supercarriers, etc,etc are all capable of being Capital Ships. and in Regrets case, his capital ship was an Assault Carrier; Solemn Penance.

CCS is also the classification of the Battlecruiser...

It would also be wise to assume that physics apply to the Halo universe...

I also dont know what you are referring to when you ask me to explain how it survived a SMAC gauntlet, but I can say I dont think it's possible for an Assault Carrier's shields to withstand a 3000 ton Tungsten/Depleted Uranium slug being fired at 12000 Kilometres per second (4% the speed of light) and not be vaporised by the impact, especially if the theoretical blast yield behind a SMAC round has been calculated to be over 51 Gigatons (51553.83 megatons). But hey, im ready to be proven wrong

#70 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

I dont think you understood what I was trying to say, nor did the article you linked disprove what i was saying. The article says what to expect from a capital ship, not what specific class they are. Assault Carriers, Battlecruisers, Supercruisers, Supercarriers, etc,etc are all capable of being Capital Ships. and in Regrets case, his capital ship was an Assault Carrier; Solemn Penance.

CCS is also the classification of the Battlecruiser...

It would also be wise to assume that physics apply to the Halo universe...

I also dont know what you are referring to when you ask me to explain how it survived a SMAC gauntlet, but I can say I dont think it's possible for an Assault Carrier's shields to withstand a 3000 ton Tungsten/Depleted Uranium slug being fired at 12000 Kilometres per second (4% the speed of light) and not be vaporised by the impact, especially if the theoretical blast yield behind a SMAC round has been calculated to be over 51 Gigatons (51553.83 megatons). But hey, im ready to be proven wrong

No, what you're thinking of is a FLAGSHIP. I'm not even going to argue with you over this since it's evident you don't get it. You can have a fleet full of capital ships. If I have 300 Imperial Star Destroyers and one Executor Star Dreadnaught then the SDs still retain the capital ship status even with the SSD present. It just means it's the biggest and baddest mainline ship.

Don't play dumb. Tell me how the two biggest ships in a fleet survived three (later one) ODP shooting a round EVERY 5 SECONDS in a level that is around 20-30 minutes did not get demolished? It is logical to assume that there was some alien trickery at play and they has super-duper Forerunner shields. Also, how did MA not get vaporized? I understand the science on it, but again, that assumes normal physics apply. Physics have been shown to be warped. Pillar of Autumn got off ground in Halo: Reach and Spirit of Fire seems to fly around in atmosphere without any anti-gravity mechanism.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#71 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

I figured out how regret ad his flagship did it. Needless to say it want because they slugged it out, in fact it was pretty smart.
Will post when I'm finished decorating, I will even make diagrams.
Can someone post an image of a CCS cruiser from a 3rd person perspective so not along the xyz axis, and one of the earth so I can get this done quicker? Thank you.
  • Crisiss likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#72 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Basically if i were the fleetmaster i would have split the cruisers into individual groups around the cairo-Mediterranean battle cluster. Releasing fighters and boarding craft, Then they pull back protecting the Carriers from the UNSC outside the MAC guns range.

then once the stations are dealt with around the Mediterranean area, i send the remaining cruisers to blanket the carriers approach attacking at maximum speed, with the cruisers and the other carrier acting as a shield, angled so that if hit by a SMAC round it will exit at a trajectory away from The carrier, I would then send some of the cruisers, entering atmosphere above  east africa. Luring the UNSC fleet towards earth, allowing the carriers to go in unopposed by the UNSC fleet. 

All this can be correlated with H2s Cairo station level, once under the UNSCs cairo/Mediterranean battlecluster and past the UNSC fleet they can carry on their way to new mombassa unopposed.

stations.png

battle.png

• Crisiss likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#73 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Basically if i were the fleetmaster i would have split the cruisers into individual groups around the cairo-Mediterranean battle cluster. Releasing fighters and boarding craft, Then they pull back protecting the Carriers from the UNSC outside the MAC guns range.
then once the stations are dealt with around the Mediterranean area, i send the remaining cruisers to blanket the carriers approach attacking at maximum speed, with the cruisers and the other carrier acting as a shield, angled so that if hit by a SMAC round it will exit at a trajectory away from The carrier, I would then send some of the cruisers, entering atmosphere above  east africa. Luring the UNSC fleet towards earth, allowing the carriers to go in unopposed by the UNSC fleet. 
All this can be correlated with H2s Cairo station level, once under the UNSCs cairo/Mediterranean battlecluster and past the UNSC fleet they can carry on their way to new mombassa unopposed.
stations.png
battle.png

I like the graph and all, but it still doesn't explain how Cortana was concentrating fire on Regret's carrier and it STILL tanked shots. Good analyzation, but I think the shields are just godlike.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#74 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

Forgot to mention it may have been possible that it entered slipspace to avoid the rounds.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#75 Oldkye

Oldkye

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Forgot to mention it may have been possible that it entered slipspace to avoid the rounds.

Why not make that a ability? lol dodge one shot by entering slipspace then it has to cool down for a long time well it's re-calibrated.

It would be a lovely play against SMACS heck just today I wanted to see what some CAS's could do so I sent 10 fully upgraded(trained to level 4) of them at a anchor station surrounded by 3 SMACs the first 8 were killed before they got into range 1 more before the anchor station fell and the last died right after.

Being able to dodge just one shot would be a game changer and honestly it shouldn't take 10 CAS's to take down one anchor station I know I could have sent small ships to take the first salvo but it's a hell of a effectiveness/cost lean in the UNCS's favor lol.

#76 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

No way.  Also your theory is flawed.  Admiral Harper orders his fleet split into two echelons.  The first's job was blanketing cruisers and taking them out, the second 'kept the carriers busy', with Cairo Station as backup.  Harper also blatantly says that the 'carriers are breaking though.'  Implying they blasted through half of Harper's Fleet even with Cairo station backing it up.

I don't really know why this is a surprise.  Hierarchs are only ever seen aboard High Charity and Class Five-CAS/plot device Flagships.  Considering High Charity has shielding and weapons deadlier than any other vessel in the Covenant fleet, it makes sense that the CAS would also have unreal shields. 

Its also stated that the Song of Retribution is ironically outgunned by Infinity, it says nothing however about her shielding.  Considering Infinity rams an ORS, and the CAS rams the CCS with no trouble, I think they have comparable shielding.

#77 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

No way.  Also your theory is flawed.  Admiral Harper orders his fleet split into two echelons.  The first's job was blanketing cruisers and taking them out, the second 'kept the carriers busy', with Cairo Station as backup.  Harper also blatantly says that the 'carriers are breaking though.'  Implying they blasted through half of Harper's Fleet even with Cairo station backing it up.

I don't really know why this is a surprise.  Hierarchs are only ever seen aboard High Charity and Class Five-CAS/Plot Device Flagships.  Considering High Charity has shielding and weapons deadlier than any other vessel in the Covenant fleet, it makes sense that the CAS would also have unreal shields. 

Its also stated that the Song of Retribution is ironically outgunned by Infinity, it says nothing however about her shielding.  Considering Infinity rams an ORS, and the CAS rams the CCS with no trouble, I think they have comparable shielding.

What Orders are given are not necessarily carried out.

Breaking through what exactly?

Considering 117 Human warships of varying type are an easy match for 3+ CAS class and escorts i would say that the tanking ability is more than debunked.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#78 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Considering 117 Human warships of varying type are an easy match for 3+ CAS class and escorts i would say that the tanking ability is more than debunked.

Breaking through the SMAC cluster over the African-Mediterranean area.
Where did the second matchup come from? Just curious, not denying that source.
Also, I'd imagine 39 simultaneous MAC rounds a piece plus archers, nukes, and high caliber guns > one big hunk of metal going really fast.
Considering the UNSC's TOP AI was concentrating fire ON A 3.5 MILE SHIP, likely without missing, that it's shields are insane. You keep ignoring this single fact.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#79 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Their battle lines.  And I'm pretty sure if a Fleet Commander orders the fleet to split in half and attack targets above the most important world in the human Empire those orders will be followed to the T. 

First off its highly probable that the canon DDS has the same silhouette as the CAS-class.  

Why you ask?  

Every Covenant cruiser has the same silhouette.

Ascendant Justice is 3km long and referred to several times as a Supercarrier.

Odds are its literally a heavily modified DDS-class making it a Superregularcarrier.

Ascendant Justice has the same silhouette as the CAS.   

Second even if that's true 117 warships took 37 casualties from 3 CASes and 9 escorts...

#80 Armatarge

Armatarge

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFOB Baker

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

No, what you're thinking of is a FLAGSHIP. I'm not even going to argue with you over this since it's evident you don't get it. You can have a fleet full of capital ships. If I have 300 Imperial Star Destroyers and one Executor Star Dreadnaught then the SDs still retain the capital ship status even with the SSD present. It just means it's the biggest and baddest mainline ship.

Don't play dumb. Tell me how the two biggest ships in a fleet survived three (later one) ODP shooting a round EVERY 5 SECONDS in a level that is around 20-30 minutes did not get demolished? It is logical to assume that there was some alien trickery at play and they has super-duper Forerunner shields. Also, how did MA not get vaporized? I understand the science on it, but again, that assumes normal physics apply. Physics have been shown to be warped. Pillar of Autumn got off ground in Halo: Reach and Spirit of Fire seems to fly around in atmosphere without any anti-gravity mechanism.

Mate, we're both going in completely different directions with our arguments to the point that both are right and wrong... You and everyone else are absolutely right, the facts show that its highly likely Solemn Penance is extremely strong. Everyone else has also been providing nice evidence, but logic says otherwise in some cases. That's were we're all right and wrong.

also, you did see the rockets assisting the PoA's take off in reach right? that would be how it got into orbit...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users