#21 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Jeez sorry, it was just a thought.

Don't get offended, I wasn't scorning you or anything. Just making a comment.

come up with something better then...?

There's an entire thread full of them. See https://sinsofthepro...ital-abilities/ I'm busy for the next couple of hours but I'll come back with something if that makes you happy.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#22 Coldonne

Coldonne

Crewman Apprentice

• Contributor
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:Coldonne Adams
  • LocationThe Grid

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Considering that the Assault Carrier holds a large number of Phantoms, as well as drop pods, maybe it could have the planetary invasion ability. This ability would gradually bring down the population and damage the planet, like a damage buff to the ship.

#23 Antonaccio

Antonaccio

Crewman Apprentice

• Contributor
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMost likely causing a Star to go Supernova

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

You know I completely forgot about this ability from rebellion. I feel like the Vasari offensive titan had some awesome abilities that made it a somewhat scary ship. The CAS would be an excellent choice for some of its abilities.

CAS acts as a slip space portal for immediate fleet deployment in a hostile system. (Jump fleet directly to CAS assuming another slip space gate is present on another world)

CAS is able to jump from a system immediately(Micro phase jump ability)(Think Regets carrier)

CAS calls upon reinforcements from High Charity (Ships arrive to assist the Assault Carrier)

#24 Hageshii01

Hageshii01

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 125 posts
  • LocationOver in that Battlecruiser, and that one, and that one, and-

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

I would argue that adding "Hurogok Repair Team" as a standard Covie upgrade for most ships would be flavorful and logical; not every ship had Engineers, but the ones that did massively benefited from them.  This ability would give Covies an increased hull/shield/both regen rate, which would of course be extremely useful (as someone else in the thread stated) for surviving the UNSC MAC onslaughts.  It could either be a passive all-around heal, OR an activated ability that only works for a few seconds; whatever makes the most sense.  Maybe you could even have it be a toggle ability, where having it on increases hull/shield regen (at the cost of weapon power as the Hurogoks tap into the energy for the weapons to do what they need to do).  A couple of things could be done there.

Give planetary bombarding ships, like the CAS, an ability based off the Luminary from Contact Harvest.  If you don't remember, it was a piece of tech designed to locate and map Forerunner artifacts.  When the Covenant first located humanity on Harvest the Luminary on the Brute ship in question lit up like a Christmas tree all around the planet with the glyph for "Reclamation", leading the Covenant to assume that the planet was covered in holy artifacts.  But in fact, (this is sorta spoilery if you haven't read it) the glyph was not Reclamation, but Reclaimer.  The Luminary was picking up every single human colonist on the planet.  All ships have a Luminary.  However, it seems that by 2550 there was a delay in the installation of Luminaries in vessels (and, so you know, Truth put out an order that one in every 64 Unggoy would be killed every day until a ship had it's Luminary installed.)  The ability would basically assume that none of the ships had a Luminary installed until the ability is purchased.  At that point, the ship master of that vessel would now have a perfect map of the major human cities and colonies on a planet, and they would know to target that location during planetary siege.  Thus, it would be much faster/the ship would do much more damage against a planet with a "modified" Luminary.  The explanation as to why the Covenant didn't question why the Luminary was targeting humans could be as simple as "Oh, well it would appear that the Luminaries are targeting the heretic filth that seeks to destroy our gods' creations.  Use it to your advantage and wipe them out."  Truth already lied and said that the Luminaries are incorrect (which is heretical, as a "Luminary cannot lie," but then this is Truth and he got away with a lot).

#25 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hull/shield regen has already been boosted compared to what you civies are seeing. Covies really don't need to it, trust me.

• David0425 likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#26 David0425

David0425

Petty Officer Second Class

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Steam:dtw0425
  • LocationEarth, Homefleet, UNSC Glorious Warrior

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

Hull/shield regen has already been boosted compared to what you civies are seeing. Covies really don't need to it, trust me.

I wanna hug you

"They must love the smell of Green." Thanks SOTP Modding team for all your Hard work, and effort in this mod!<br />
-Sergeant Avery Johnson,Halo 3<br />
Spoiler

#27 dragonspirit

dragonspirit

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:58 AM

I was thinking about a "planet bombing ability "

Glassand : when the capital ship reach the planet You can attivate This ability that permit to You to annihilate all the population of the planet istantly and in 15 second Will reduce to zero the healt of the planet. But on the other Side of the medal during these 15 second the vessel Will be completely vulnerable ( no other abylities no Shield no seraph in order to funnel all the power supply to the ventral plasma Cannon). Obviusly Will be consequence for the planet too: the Planet Will be uninhabitable for some time. I Don't know maybe 10 minute or better It could be add a new Technology " planet resurrection" that allow colony ships to make It rehabitable After a reduced period of time maybe 5 minute: all of This is made to rebalance the istantly lost of the planet on UNSC's side and to prevent a Flood spread rate of the Covenant in the UNSC empire. (This ability Will have a Long recharging time)
After the colonization (dosen't Matter if UNSC or Covenant) the population grown rate Will be minimum.

I apologise for My English.
  • Armatarge and dragonspirit like this

#28 Armatarge

Armatarge

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFOB Baker

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

I like the second one a lot. Maybe make it similiar to the Corsev from vanilla, but give it AoE damage?

Other than that, I think the CAS should be heavily geared for planetary siege. Give it a Scarab Drop ability (basically a super ODST drop) and honestly, I think it needs to be more powerful. Regret's CAS in Halo 2 tanked multiple SMAC shots, assuming Cortana didn't miss at all (not sure how she would). It's going to need fleet coordination abilities (Staggered Line! or something related to 'Rtas Vadum).

I'll put something better thought out and more coherent later, busy at the moment.

A single SMAC round is capable of destroying regrets ship. keep in mind that the other two ODP's in the area were destroyed (Malta and the Athens), and that an ODP's SMAC gun is only capable of firing a projectile theoretically every 5 seconds. Cairo was probably busy engaging other targets while Regret flew past Cairo.

It should also be noted that even if a ship's shields were to withstand a direct hit from the SMAC gun, the amount of thermodynamic energy released from the impact would vaporise the ship; regardless of whether its shields are still intact. But supposedly, the Didact's ship can withstand hits from an ODP (which is kinda bullshit).

#29 Armatarge

Armatarge

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFOB Baker

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

I was thinking about a "planet bombing ability "

Glassand : when the capital ship reach the planet You can attivate This ability that permit to You to annihilate all the population of the planet istantly and in 15 second Will reduce to zero the healt of the planet. But on the other Side of the medal during these 15 second the vessel Will be completely vulnerable ( no other abylities no Shield no seraph in order to funnel all the power supply to the ventral plasma Cannon). Obviusly Will be consequence for the planet too: the Planet Will be uninhabitable for some time. I Don't know maybe 10 minute or better It could be add a new Technology " planet resurrection" that allow colony ships to make It rehabitable After a reduced period of time maybe 5 minute: all of This is made to rebalance the istantly lost of the planet on UNSC's side and to prevent a Flood spread rate of the Covenant in the UNSC empire. (This ability Will have a Long recharging time)
After the colonization (dosen't Matter if UNSC or Covenant) the population grown rate Will be minimum.

I apologise for My English.

Thats a pretty good idea

#30 Hageshii01

Hageshii01

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 125 posts
  • LocationOver in that Battlecruiser, and that one, and that one, and-

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Oh yes I saw it; I was expanding on the idea a bit is all.

#31 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Thats a pretty good idea

No, it's a completely broken and overpowered idea that would never get in. Besides, you can't actually think you can glass an entire planet in 15 seconds. Unfeasable in the engine anyhow.

A single SMAC round is capable of destroying regrets ship. keep in mind that the other two ODP's in the area were destroyed (Malta and the Athens), and that an ODP's SMAC gun is only capable of firing a projectile theoretically every 5 seconds. Cairo was probably busy engaging other targets while Regret flew past Cairo.
It should also be noted that even if a ship's shields were to withstand a direct hit from the SMAC gun, the amount of thermodynamic energy released from the impact would vaporise the ship; regardless of whether its shields are still intact. But supposedly, the Didact's ship can withstand hits from an ODP (which is kinda bullshit).

Wrong: Lord Hood (COM): "Cortana! Concentrate your fire on the first carrier. Admiral, do what you can against the second."
And that stat is against a Covenant Capital Ship (CCS) Assault Carrier shield capabilities are unknown.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#32 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

It should also be noted that even if a ship's shields were to withstand a direct hit from the SMAC gun

No, it's a completely broken and overpowered idea that would never get in. Besides, you can't actually think you can glass an entire planet in 15 seconds. Unfeasable in the engine anyhow.

Wrong: Lord Hood (COM): "Cortana! Concentrate your fire on the first carrier. Admiral, do what you can against the second."
And that stat is against a Covenant Capital Ship (CCS) Assault Carrier shield capabilities are unknown.

Unfortunately, Armatarge's info is from The Fall of Reach, which is literally the oldest info on such things, even before Halo: CE's release. They decided to make SMACs less powerful after the first book, which is really a tragedy that I've had to accept myself. They're very powerful and can certainly wreck ships, but not the god guns they were in the first novel. :(

• Crisiss likes this

#33 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Unfortunately, Armatarge's info is from The Fall of Reach, which is literally the oldest info on such things, even before Halo: CE's release. They decided to make SMACs less powerful after the first book, which is really a tragedy that I've had to accept myself. They're very powerful and can certainly wreck ships, but not the god guns they were in the first novel. :(

Yeah, sucks. I hope we keep them god-guns in the mod, though. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

#34 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, sucks. I hope we keep them god-guns in the mod, though. 

They're not changing. Some ships can take the hit, but most cannot. I feel that is a good compromise between FoR, our main source of info, and the later mentions of the SMAC.

#35 dragonspirit

dragonspirit

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

obviously the 15 second were reported to game time.....we can't actualy think to glass nothing :) anyway was just an idea 

#36 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

obviously the 15 second were reported to game time.....we can't actualy think to glass nothing :) anyway was just an idea 

Gameplay>Canon>Logic

In this case I'm pretty sure that ability would break the game faster than Chuck Norris lost to Bruce Lee

• Crisiss likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#37 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

the amount of thermodynamic energy released from the impact would vaporise the ship; regardless of whether its shields are still intact.

I believe that's the point of shields... they eat energy.

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#38 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

I believe that's the point of shields... they eat energy.

Mathematically the ship is fucked. No ship (not MA) has survived an SMAC impact so it's unknown if that's actually what happened. No canon confirms it, somebody just ran the math on the impact.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#39 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

Mathematically the ship is fucked. No ship (not MA) has survived an SMAC impact so it's unknown if that's actually what happened. No canon confirms it, somebody just ran the math on the impact.

me and sloose actually did the math of how much kinetic energy an SMAC round has around a year ago, its equivalent to 5 times as much energy as the asteroid strike that killed the dinosaurs

#40 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

me and sloose actually did the math of how much kinetic energy an SMAC round has around a year ago, its equivalent to 5 times as much energy as the asteroid strike that killed the dinosaurs

So the moral of the story is..... an SMAC station would make an amazing planet buster?

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users