Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

But you kinda suck as Covies ;P

Or at least last time we played anyways

Yeah but... pubs. I'm worse at Covenant than I am UNSC but as of the trade port change their economy is so much easier to set up. That was my only real limiting factor.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#82 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

Yup. This has been discussed multiple times and it will not be changing, unfortunately.

Dang.

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#83 ParovStelar

ParovStelar

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

What difficulty/AI type were you facing in this particular incident?

Started with two heroic against us but after 30 minutes without an decisive attack, changed to legendary

Spoiler

#84 dirtydan

dirtydan

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:xidirtydanix
  • LocationNY

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Do you need dlc to load these maps bc none of the maps I old work and whenever I start a game the application crashes

#85 Ghost85100

Ghost85100

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:Ghost85100
  • LocationEverywhere and Nowhere, also the US

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

There's some stuff I liked and some stuff I didn't, but I'll put that at the end. I have an entire page of things that you guys may want to fix. Some things are small and some are quite large... so here we go!

The Orbital Commerce Research option has the vanilla icon. I recommend using the icon for the construction as a replacement, and if possible, with a yellow background. The same thing has happened with the Repair Platform, and the same solution can be applied.

The Shiva ability needs a condensed description. A very condensed description.

Because the Flood no longer responds to player bounties, would it be possible to change the screen that says 'Flood' to 'Bounties' and it is purely for players to collect them?

When playing as the UNSC with Flagship Victory enabled, the game displays the message 'Your flagship's shields are down!' even though the Thermopylae has no shields.

Marathon-Class vessels cannot upgrade any abilities at Level 2. Would it be possible to add an extra ability, such as an extra Archer Pod or a Passive ability? This also happens with the Salvation Class, for the Covenant.

The Autumn-Class sometimes responds to selection with 'Halcyon here!'

The Autumn-Class's 'Spartan Boarding Party' ability description has a typo. The word 'must' is repeated.

There is another typo in the Capital Ship Factory's description. The word 'construction' is spelled 'conrtuction'.

Artifacts cannot be viewed via the Artifacts/Holy Relics screen.

The 'Unbreachable Hull' research option has the Argonev symbol on the icon. I recommend the solution offered for the Orbital Commerce and Repair Platform research icons.

The 'Labor Negotiations' research option's description says 'TEC Ambassadors' not 'UNSC Ambassadors'

Halo Installations have no actual Halo rings in the Gravity well, nor is the model of the planet a Halo ring.

The Redemption Class has the unit icon of a Radiance Battlecruiser. (Placeholder?)

UNSC Capital ships come free with the 'Intercept' ability. Is this unintentional or was this supposed to reference Keyes' Loop?

When Covenant ships' shields go down (Playing as the UNSC, and my Covenant allies' when playing as the Covies), the ship stops moving and firing and I cannot view a unit description, but the ship in question normally has 5000+ Hull integrity left. The ships never recover and are left to be destroyed by UNSC ships.

When looking at research options for unit unlocks, the description says that you will unlock the infected variant of said unit. ie. I'm researching the Halcyon-class Carrier. 'Unlocks: Halcyon class Carrier. Unlocks: Infected Halcyon class Carrier.'

Flood spores do not show up in the 'Last Intel' info panel.

In the 'Last Intel' info panel, friendly ships appear, even if you have ship and planet vision with said ally.

Searching planets as the Covenant uses the Vasari voice-over.

Every queue to slipspace jump says 'phase jump'.

The research option 'Jump Inhibition Immunity' says Jikara Navigators not Missionary class vessels. This also happens with 'Selective Phasing'. 'Selective Phasing' should also be renamed.

The Covenant 'Drop Pods' ability shows an ODST helmet.

The Covenant Titan Foundry costs zero tactical slots and zero logistics slots. Also, it is the same model as a Capital Ship Factory.

The Covenant Redemption class has an ability with no string attached to it. It is an active weapon ability.

Trade ports count as refineries in the Refinery Quote for extractors.

NOW! For what we all may or may not have been waiting for! Suggestions!

I think that Forerunners should be given more classes. Not only Combat and Vanguard classes but smaller classes and classes in the middle of the two. 

Maybe you could add Shield Worlds that give double the population of normal planets, and tons of special abilities, but are very rare and are guarded by 40 Combat Sentinels and 3 or 4 Vanguards, plus any new classes you implement into the game. As for Occupation Victory, I think the planet could BE a Shield World (Or just some random Forerunner Planet that is way more advanced than a Shield World) and it could be guarded by a Dreadnought-Class.

Even if the Covenant Redemption-Class is a placeholder, change the unit. In my opinion it looks wimpy, and it is supposed to be a Titan yet it is smaller and weaker than the Salvation class. 

Maybe give the Neutral worlds some ships from the Vanilla game. Cobalt Frigates with a modified file to make it have an Autocannon and a couple archer pods, or a smaller and weaker Kol Battleship with just Autocannons and a MAC. The Paris' and Charons' are getting kind of repetitive. If you need a lore reason, the Forerunners made multiple branches of Humanity, and the Insurrectionists, who aren't focusing on the war effort, made contact with the TEC. The TEC have thrown out the Advent but the Rebels made contact before the Vasari attack. You may be thinking 'But Ghost! The TEC HAD no weapons!' Yes they did. They had the weapons in reserve that they fitted onto their colony and trade ships to fight against the Vasari.

What I liked about the update: The soundtrack is amazing. I kind of interpreted some of it as how the UNSC felt, and how bleak they felt their future was. The graphics are amazing. The Covenant Energy Projectors are actually how I imagined the Beams fired from Covenant ships. They also balance out the rapid-firing and constant rain of Archer Missiles, because a midgame level Covie ship can obliterate a fleet of Paris', but it pales when it's confronted by a few Marathons.

What I didn't like about the update: The Covie Supercarrier looks like the German economy in the 1930s. The Redemption does not deserve to be a Titan, imho. I think that an upscaled CCS class could be the Supercarrier, and it should have at least 45k shields. I also don't like that there is a Covenant 'Titan' while the UNSC doesn't have one. The Thermopylae comes as close as you're going to get, and it doesn't fare well against a Salvation and a few CPV's.

Thanks for listening to my opinions about your mod! I hope to see more of this great work, and even though it may not seem like it, I really love SoTP, and I'll continue to try and help out through the next few updates.

A truly smart man does not just answer questions, he questions answers.

But this truly smart man is trying to figure out how to implement pictures into his signature, so he must not be that truly smart.

You do know that this font is the same as a Medieval Siege engine, right?

No. You didn't.

#86 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Many of the things you mentioned that are bugs are placeholders. Unless you're an icon artist, those can't be changed. Icon artists are hard to come by.
The Covenant Titan is not changing, and you have obviously not played the mod enough to realize how good the Redemption is. It has insanely fast shield regen and lots of weapon banks for hitting multiple targets at once. Again, size isn't everything. Some of your suggestions are just... stupid. We are sticking to Halo lore. No TEC. Your upscaled CCS is fucking dumb. The UNSC doesn't need a Titan, but it is in the works. If you want it any faster join the team. Otherwise deal with it. The Thermopylae isn't supposed to be able to take on even a CAS. You forget the 3-1 number advantage thing. The Redemption (AKA the Covenant Battleship) is staying the Titan. You're gonna have to live with that.

Anyhow, since it's obvious you haven't read around at all, I'll explain some things to you.

The Covie Titan is the Battleship.
This is a free project, nobody is getting paid and our team members have lives and jobs and school. We can't afford to sit on here all day coding. Things are done when they are done.
The mod is currently going through a COMPLETE balance retooling, so everything in the public release is likely to change and is certainly subject to it.
The Forerunners aren't done yet. The fucking Covenant isn't even done yet. They are in the works and are very much still in the planning stage. They are going to get more, but we just haven't gotten that far yet.
Shield Worlds already have a huge population bonus and (if you're lucky) you can get one (or more if you're a leprechaun) Shield World specific bonuses. I agree, they are underdefended and that is being looked into.
Halos are in. It is, again, obvious you haven't played much. Pay attention to the gas giant in the center.
The Occupation planet is entirely random.

Hope this cleared some things up for you.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#87 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

@Ghost85100

I will reply as best as I can to your post when I get home from work. I will say now that you did a very serious and thorough report on the state of the mod and I thank you for that.

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#88 Dysta

Dysta

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

That is why I am here, icon and descriptions really need some polishing.

Maybe I can make a mockup preview to see those new icons at tech trees.

#89 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Steam:RalphRoberts
  • LocationMain bridge of [REDACTED]

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

I played one of the new "Halo" maps, Will of The Gods (UNSC start), and found that the multiple stars made the phase lane research for starbases almost useless since they wouldn't jump across star systems, even with all of the phase jump research.

This was my first game on the new update and I haven't been reading the forums recently, so I'm not sure if this is just a map making issue, an intended feature, or a gameplay bug, but I wanted to report it just in case. :)

Once upon a time, I played this game called Neo Scavenger. After being beaten to death several times, I decided I liked it.

#90 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

I played one of the new "Halo" maps, Will of The Gods (UNSC start), and found that the multiple stars made the phase lane research for starbases almost useless since they wouldn't jump across star systems, even with all of the phase jump research.

This was my first game on the new update and I haven't been reading the forums recently, so I'm not sure if this is just a map making issue, an intended feature, or a gameplay bug, but I wanted to report it just in case. :)

That ability, even in vanilla, was the same way. So it's merely a case of map design

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#91 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

Map maker here, and yea what grunt said, I cant do anything about that really. However I am throwing some ideas around to actually make the Slipspace grid usable on the map without changing the map too much. Glad you enjoyed it though!

#92 SierraGulf01

SierraGulf01

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

Is it possible to change the list of Ship names if i wanted to customize it? I want my UNSC ships to have the names of aircraft carriers and battle ships of current and past US navy for example the Ronald Regan, Abraham Lincoln, Nimitz, Enterprise, George W. Bush..ect ect.. maybe with a few forgein famous ships thrown in the mix too like Bismark ect ect. ....How would i go about doing this?

Nevermind i firgured that out, HOWEVER im having a strange issue with a map where the other player always ends up being the same as me even if i choose opposite. when i play as unsc the Ai for some reason is also unsc even when i chose covie....why is this happening?

#93 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Nevermind i firgured that out, HOWEVER im having a strange issue with a map where the other player always ends up being the same as me even if i choose opposite. when i play as unsc the Ai for some reason is also unsc even when i chose covie....why is this happening?

Not the thread for this but which map was it? That would probably help unless you want me to guess.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#94 SierraGulf01

SierraGulf01

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

It was the one called Will of the Gods covie start

#95 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

It was the one called Will of the Gods covie start

Maker here. Good reason behind your complaints, I have the map forced to spawn in certain factions at certain starts, so this is not on your end.

EDIT: and crisiss, I wasn't being stubborn, its the fact that the map has several race specific buildings prespawned because Earth and Sanghelios (also several others) dont have a quickstart sequence. This is the only way I could go about this.

#96 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Maker here. Good reason behind your complaints, I have the map forced to spawn in certain factions at certain starts, so this is not on your end.

EDIT: and crisiss, I wasn't being stubborn, its the fact that the map has several race specific buildings prespawned because Earth and Sanghelios (also several others) dont have a quickstart sequence. This is the only way I could go about this.

Not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about having the races alternate in the slot panels so you can choose between 1v1s, 2v2s, and 3v3s.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#97 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

There's some stuff I liked and some stuff I didn't, but I'll put that at the end. I have an entire page of things that you guys may want to fix. Some things are small and some are quite large... so here we go!

First I want to thank you for your detailed post about our mod. You obviously put a lot time and effort into that post. Ironically it is better than what I've seen even internally. 

1) We are getting ready to start on a whole new set of icons for research, ship build buttons, and the like.

2) What makes the shiva so long is the number of buffs and how they apply to specific ranges from the target. Unfortunately that is not something we can change

3) Thank you for your ideas for in game descriptions and names. Particularly the wrong description for the flagship.

4) All capital ships in the internal build now have abilities that can be added at each level.

5) With regards to covenant capital ships and their shields. What you are most likely seeing is how we have capital ships drift for several seconds after they are killed. 

6) The "last Intel" panel is from the vanilla game I will see what we can do but I have a feeling that the things you raised are hardcoded.

7) The covenant is not a complete faction as of now so they use a lot of place holders in sound, ships, structures, and research.

8) There are several abilities that appear to have no use in game (ie they are blank and have a blank info card) we use them to "mark" the ships for other abilities to make certain mechanics in the mod work.

9) Shield Worlds already have the highest population in game (it can top out above 1,000) also the Forerunners are not currently in development and work will not start back up for them until after both the UNSC and Covenant are complete. The ships that you see in game are just miltia ships and do not represent all of what we have for them.

10) The covenant titan differs from the rest of the Covenant fleet in the public build. Its role is not to be deadly to ships one on one but to be deadly to fleets. The ship can take down in some cases 60 ships with no problem. Now for the model we know the model looks bad and we plan on having the proper model and texture in game soon.

Spoiler

#98 axe11154

axe11154

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hay Crisiss

I have a question

you said you need a Icon Artist,

What exactly is required of a Icon Artist

I ask because im right now in the Art Institute for Graphical Design

Even if I cant help I could probably find some one who could

so what exsactly are you looking for from the Icon Artist.

#99 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hay Crisiss
I have a question
you said you need a Icon Artist,
What exactly is required of a Icon Artist
I ask because im right now in the Art Institute for Graphical Design
Even if I cant help I could probably find some one who could

so what exsactly are you looking for from the Icon Artist.

Contact me via PM please. Crisis is not the person to talk to about this.
  • Defender0 likes this
Spoiler

#100 Cmdr Daefaron

Cmdr Daefaron

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

Did the "UNSC can jump between two starbases as if there is a phase lane upgrade, and my ships still went long way around. This was on one of the official maps. Maybe because one planet was infront of a star, and the other was near another star?

Also,unsure if this is bug or not but if I zoom out to say, seeing star system fully distance, EVERY planet icon just disappears, leaving only the stars. This makes it hard/weird for me to coordinate or plan my offenses or see where enemies are pushing against my allies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users