128 replies to this topic

#61 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

At last an update exists and I can come back with maybe something worthwhile to say.  I have been playing this recent update for the last few days now and I am impressed with all the work that has gone into it.  So lets categorize my thoughts here on what I, a lowly player, might have to say.  So in my completely unqualified opinion...

Game in General:

-The new music seems fitting in a sense but the old music seems to be gone, or at least I have yet to hear or recognize what was there before.  I remember some old music conveyed a very lonely and chilling feeling at times fit for the void where the Flood dwell...and this music seems ambient enough but sometimes seems just odd.  I don't really know what to make of it actually, but I guess you can't just ripoff or stick iconic Halo tunes in there because of reasons.

-I find it interesting how you have changed the icons for many standard world types such as volcanic, but in a sense I think I see that you are actually replacing everything with your own version of what type of worlds exist here and any overlap is largely unintended.

-Fleet engagements are more enjoyable somehow, I don't even recognize why exactly either.  The impactfulness of weapons I think might be it, as you seem to have made edits to particles and such...most noticeable on the Covenant longer range laser things.

-The difference between UNSC and Covenant slipspace speeds are much more noticeable now, assuming they were not in play before.

UNSC:

-The new starbase is fantastic, plain and simple.

-I do wonder how or what you plan to do with cannon designs potentially emerging for ships, I think the supercarrier got what is suspected to be a distinct look in one of the recent comics.

-I noticed the Prowler is now a Sloop, helps to cement the difference between it and the "heavy prowler" thing that also exists without having just two prowlers.

-The less crazy nukes make it actually more of a challenge now, what with the shiva being a supercarrier exclusive as of right now with the rest getting lesser nukes of sorts.

-I am able to knock a CAS into a stunned spirally state still and have seen it done, but I don't know what is causing it.  I thought only the shiva nuke could do that, and it was moved to the supercarrier.

-Not really a whole to lot say on this faction considering it is much more fleshed out than the others are.

Covenant:

-The faction as a whole feels more powerful and not as helpless in the lategame, the added fighters to the CCS and the new models placeholder or otherwise helps to make them feel more like the faction they are supposed to be.

-There are some remnants of the base game's dialogue and unfound strings in places but I'm sure you already know that.

-Covenant ships seem to have much less HP now, but far more shields.  I remember in one of the Halo Wars docs way back when a dev talked about how the Covenant base is like a glass house, once the shield fell it shattered pretty quick.  If that is what you are going for then I suppose you are accomplishing it.  I suppose it fits overall.

-I have to agree with Nyx on the lack of Covenant defensive options.  I know that they are supposed to be the aggressors, I know that there should be fleets doing much of the defending work, but isn't that also what the UNSC does?  Defending with a fleet?  I'm not suggesting that they be able to turtle up to such a degree as the UNSC can, simply that they be given something else besides the hangerbays and starbase to pepper here and there.  I know defensive stations are in the lore for them.  I think it would help to fill a hole, as they can get stretched thin.

-It seems the Haven starbase has been largely left untouched, so I can only assume changes will happen with it later on as I do find it to be very weak even when fully upgraded.

-It might be something that cannot be helped, but I still think it is so bizarre that the CRS is so much smaller than the CAR despite being its upgrade.  The damn thing is so tiny I can barely see it sometimes...its just ludicrous.  I guess this is a "damn you 343" situation?

Flood:

-Well you certainly made them even more terrifying so thats a plus.

-I do like how forms practically straight out of the Forerunner trilogy are showing up, definitely makes things more interesting for the game and helps to give them their distinct look.

-The fact that they cannot just straight up infect some of your best ships I think make them less annoying to deal with in that respect.  I assume more ships will be like that later on.

-I think this was mentioned before in another topic a while ago, something about if a ship has shields up it shouldn't be able to be infected?  I think that is something that cannot be changed if I remember right but its a nice fantasy.

Forerunner:

-I noticed that the infected guardian ships on flood worlds happen to have much higher damage, health, shielding, and armor.  I love it, really drives the point home of just how far beyond they were of either of the other factions.

-I poked around in the dev version of the game after muscling through so many errors needing to be skipped, seems you cannot spawn some forerunner ships that are in the game for some reason unless one is using the "spawn all ships" command, I guess its not really much of a talking point but I wanted to mention it anyway.

-I was able to play around with the centurion battleship though, was that actually modified from the last build despite not really being used anyway (that I have seen at least), because it looked like it was edited from looking at its stats.

Well I think that is all I have to say really, much of which has probably already been said.  Still, no matter what direction you take the mod I'm sure we will all enjoy it.  

EDIT:  Oh yeah and red lines and things on Covenant ships...whats up with that?

• Lord Stark and _nyx like this

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#62 Wilhelm König

Wilhelm König

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

-The less crazy nukes make it actually more of a challenge now, what with the shiva being a supercarrier exclusive as of right now with the rest getting lesser nukes of sorts.
-I am able to knock a CAS into a stunned spirally state still and have seen it done, but I don't know what is causing it.  I thought only the shiva nuke could do that, and it was moved to the supercarrier.

The Autumn has the Shiva as well, might have been it.
  • Crisiss likes this

#63 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Guys it'd be more helpful if you put it into sections like

Praise:
Balance issues:
Artistic Opinions:
Bugs:
etc.

We are aware of the balance issues and have been since even before release but we didn't want to delay the release any longer, so balance will be adjusted in an upcoming patch.

Also realize some things are placeholders (SDV, some VOs, models, textures, icons, etc.) so you're kind of beating the horse before we can put it out of it's misery.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#64 nastroma

nastroma

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

looks great a few things ive noticed is to me i think the missles explosions are to stifling to me. i cant watch a good fleet battle up close cause they cover up everything. another thing is idk but it feels weird to see the planet rotate but also the land masses rotate faster than the planet and not at the same time xD

#65 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

looks great a few things ive noticed is to me i think the missles explosions are to stifling to me. i cant watch a good fleet battle up close cause they cover up everything. another thing is idk but it feels weird to see the planet rotate but also the land masses rotate faster than the planet and not at the same time xD

I agree with the first one but there are trade offs with that. I would like a lot of small explosions detonating off of the shields and I also like lighting up a ship and when fireworks are done I'm like "fuck yeah I got it!" and then it sprays me with plasma torpedos and I'm dead. Makes you realize how much archers sucked dick. Also, I don't think the first option would be good because particles have innaccurate effects sometimes. Second one is a Sins issue, can't be fixed.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#66 nastroma

nastroma

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

I agree with the first one but there are trade offs with that. I would like a lot of small explosions detonating off of the shields and I also like lighting up a ship and when fireworks are done I'm like "fuck yeah I got it!" and then it sprays me with plasma torpedos and I'm dead. Makes you realize how much archers sucked dick. Also, I don't think the first option would be good because particles have innaccurate effects sometimes. Second one is a Sins issue, can't be fixed.

haha i suppose ur right but fighting other UNSC is like all those archers go and i cant see a damn thing and after its all done they get vaporized LOL. OH and on another note OMFG that flood is way 2 bad ass for me v.v i was not prepared at all the first time i encountered it LOL

• Crisiss likes this

#67 Hellstormer

Hellstormer

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

This release is the best of all,especialy because of the maps,also the DDS carrier is now officialy my favorite covenant ship...simply magnificent,keep up the great hard work :)

#68 dirtydan

dirtydan

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:xidirtydanix
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hello Everyone. Whenever I try loading a map my game crashes. I love this mod but it cant figure out a way to play it.

#69 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

What map are you trying to load?

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#70 dirtydan

dirtydan

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:xidirtydanix
  • LocationNY

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

What map are you trying to load?

No map I load works. Do I need dlc?

#71 ParovStelar

ParovStelar

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hello, 

I am playing the release with a friend of mine online and I dont know whether anyone else has this issue but the UNSC can always destroy the COVIES. 

When I am playing as Covenant, and he as the UNSC, (I as the UNSC and he as Covenant  i /he spams frigates, with better economy taking over most of the planets, than i/he defends the key points with MACS (border of gravity well, so riight after the jump most of the cov forces get blown to pieces- wonderfull tactic by the way, i have seen it on your livestream :-) ) my attacks come most ravaged by the macs while i can only defend my worlds with starbases which are easily destroyed and are so expensive to upgrade that i can only afford them in the late game. And by the time we as COV are always getting destroyed by the UNSCS better economy and better late game. 

Dont get me wrong, covenants are fantastic, but maybe give them better defensive abilities? i have seen the concept art for the starbase but the issues with the giant monetary investment amount will stay i suppose.

Also,maybe giving a buff to sieging by covenant corvettes would help. I often find myself sieging a planet with 10-12sdv's for far too long (also with the  siege upgrades ) and that gives my friend the time to spam thantaloses and mac gun  me to death. It would also help buff the covenant offensive abilities and would  be also cannon, according to the books i read. Glassing planets and destroying them, that was mostly covenant specialty , not unscs so it would seem logical to me that they could benefit from a planet sieging buff.

The last thing we encountered when playing the made maps , defense of the inner colonies, reach and such is that the covies often do not attack, they send in one destroyer accompanied with 2 crs, but they gather an massive army by their planet and just float there doing nothing.

These are only my suggestions, you are the modders and it is by  your hard work that we can enjoy the mod. 

Thanks again for that . 

I wish you sucess in private and business life alike. 

(sorry for my grammatic flaws, not a native speaker. )

Spoiler

#72 ParovStelar

ParovStelar

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Also, i have a Youtube video with around 1,1 Million hits . Halo wars music video, made it 5 years ago, nowadays naturally a bit ashamed of it. But it has got a big audience. If you want i can insert there a link to your facebook page , in my opinion ,many of the visitors   would find this mod interesting.

Spoiler

#73 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hello, 
I am playing the release with a friend of mine online and I dont know whether anyone else has this issue but the UNSC can always destroy the COVIES. 

When I am playing as Covenant, and he as the UNSC, (I as the UNSC and he as Covenant  i /he spams frigates, with better economy taking over most of the planets, than i/he defends the key points with MACS (border of gravity well, so riight after the jump most of the cov forces get blown to pieces- wonderfull tactic by the way, i have seen it on your livestream :-) ) my attacks come most ravaged by the macs while i can only defend my worlds with starbases which are easily destroyed and are so expensive to upgrade that i can only afford them in the late game. And by the time we as COV are always getting destroyed by the UNSCS better economy and better late game. 
Dont get me wrong, covenants are fantastic, but maybe give them better defensive abilities? i have seen the concept art for the starbase but the issues with the giant monetary investment amount will stay i suppose.
Also,maybe giving a buff to sieging by covenant corvettes would help. I often find myself sieging a planet with 10-12sdv's for far too long (also with the  siege upgrades ) and that gives my friend the time to spam thantaloses and mac gun  me to death. It would also help buff the covenant offensive abilities and would  be also cannon, according to the books i read. Glassing planets and destroying them, that was mostly covenant specialty , not unscs so it would seem logical to me that they could benefit from a planet sieging buff.

The last thing we encountered when playing the made maps , defense of the inner colonies, reach and such is that the covies often do not attack, they send in one destroyer accompanied with 2 crs, but they gather an massive army by their planet and just float there doing nothing.

These are only my suggestions, you are the modders and it is by  your hard work that we can enjoy the mod. 
Thanks again for that . 

I wish you sucess in private and business life alike. 

(sorry for my grammatic flaws, not a native speaker. )

Not even going to read any of this because this is a known issue. Balance will be redone in an upcoming patch. As soon as I get back from vacation it shouldn't be too long after that if I can bother the dev team into coding it in. Maps are Cole Protocol's thing, direct those issues to him. Anyhow, the Covenant is still not a finished faction so when we are done with the base game (Covenant vs UNSC) we will make our final changes. For now, the game is still very much in an Alpha stage.

Also, if you really want to see what the Covenant can do, I will play you when I get back from vacation and beat your ass 6 ways to Sunday. Covenant are a completely different playstyle, you cannot play them like you can UNSC.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#74 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Can you tell me what map has this issue? 4 different maps all have Reach present on them.

#75 ParovStelar

ParovStelar

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

Sure I can.       SOTP- The Fall of Reach UNCS starting position- The Covenant amassed one giant army and attacked our star system, after that they would only send one destroyer and some crs and cvp ,but their majority of the fleeet, - 3/4 or so stayed by the asteroids next to their star and didnt move. 

SOTP- The Final Stand   UNSC starting position - Same issue , they wouldnt attack the Reach system, they stayed by their planets, phase jump away from Reach but didnt attack. 

But the maps are very welll done, according to the books also. We were quite impressed. 

Spoiler

#76 Wilhelm König

Wilhelm König

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Sure I can.       SOTP- The Fall of Reach UNCS starting position- The Covenant amassed one giant army and attacked our star system, after that they would only send one destroyer and some crs and cvp ,but their majority of the fleeet, - 3/4 or so stayed by the asteroids next to their star and didnt move. 

SOTP- The Final Stand   UNSC starting position - Same issue , they wouldnt attack the Reach system, they stayed by their planets, phase jump away from Reach but didnt attack. 
But the maps are very welll done, according to the books also. We were quite impressed.

For me it happens that my enemy gathers fleets next to any well defended planet and does not attack. The game really gets boring with this.

#77 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

What difficulty/AI type were you facing in this particular incident?

#78 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Could just be me, but the texture of the Stalwart looks out of place compared to the other frigates.

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#79 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

Could just be me, but the texture of the Stalwart looks out of place compared to the other frigates.

Yup. This has been discussed multiple times and it will not be changing, unfortunately.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#80 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

Not even going to read any of this because this is a known issue. Balance will be redone in an upcoming patch. As soon as I get back from vacation it shouldn't be too long after that if I can bother the dev team into coding it in. Maps are Cole Protocol's thing, direct those issues to him. Anyhow, the Covenant is still not a finished faction so when we are done with the base game (Covenant vs UNSC) we will make our final changes. For now, the game is still very much in an Alpha stage.

Also, if you really want to see what the Covenant can do, I will play you when I get back from vacation and beat your ass 6 ways to Sunday. Covenant are a completely different playstyle, you cannot play them like you can UNSC.

But you kinda suck as Covies ;P

Or at least last time we played anyways

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users