#21 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

So...what's the point of this thing? People asking random question to someone who apparently can't remember some novels that just came out?

With this bullshit 343i is redefining the Halo lore for their needs and as their pleasure, but seriously, you can't just say "Oh wait we do this sorta thing where we just change everything and we give out infos that might be changed again in the future for our needs".

Fuck you 343i. Just release some novels, I appreciate that. Or you know what? Make a decent game, where you explain something. Like everyone does.

• MrChipps likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#22 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

So...what's the point of this thing? People asking random question to someone who apparently can't remember some novels that just came out?

With this bullshit 343i is redefining the Halo lore for their needs and as their pleasure, but seriously, you can't just say "Oh wait we do this sorta thing where we just change everything and we give out infos that might be changed again in the future for our needs".

Fuck you 343i. Just release some novels, I appreciate that. Or you know what? Make a decent game, where you explain something. Like everyone does.

Its actually been in keeping with the novels.  They are just clearing up discrepancies really.  

#23 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

Its actually been in keeping with the novels.  They are just clearing up discrepancies really.  

And I appreciate that. But you can't do that this way. Just as they showed

Spoiler

The games are there for a reason. Novels are there for a reason. What is this? How can I retrieve informations in the future, if they're written casually on Waypoint's forums? I bet someday we will see a whole new thing in a game that seems to be appeared out of nowhere but was actually said in a three-line post by someone in some forum.

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#24 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

And I appreciate that. But you can't do that this way. Just as they showed

Spoiler

The games are there for a reason. Novels are there for a reason. What is this? How can I retrieve informations in the future, if they're written casually on Waypoint's forums? I bet someday we will see a whole new thing in a game that seems to be appeared out of nowhere but was actually said in a three-line post by someone in some forum.

Spoiler

All of the responses are being cataloged (forgive the pun) by the halopedia.  Which considering it has more accurate information than the official released encyclopedias is fine.  And this isn't really a new promotional tactic.  AdjutantReflex was used by bungie.

#25 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

Spoiler

All of the responses are being cataloged (forgive the pun) by the halopedia.  Which considering it has more accurate information than the official released encyclopedias is fine.  And this isn't really a new promotional tactic.  AdjutantReflex was used by bungie.

That's why they shouldn't have made SO for only gold members. Otherwise i would have played it. Because of that reason i'm not buying an X1 or H5 unless i really like H5. If they just did a PC port they would make a killing.

148.jpg

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#26 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Insert Picture Here

Its solid gooooold.

Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.â„¢

#27 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

That's why they shouldn't have made SO for only gold members. Otherwise i would have played it. Because of that reason i'm not buying an X1 or H5 unless i really like H5. If they just did a PC port they would make a killing.

148.jpg

They had to pay for it somehow though.  CGI is expensive.  :P

#28 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

They had to pay for it somehow though.  CGI is expensive.  :P

Yeh i know, i know, but they could have rolled in money by releasing it all on PC.

Also i don't think i would ever go outside again.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#29 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

As if they would remove Halo exclusivity from the Xbox before hell freezes over and becomes a ski resort.

Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.â„¢

#30 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

Yeh i know, i know, but they could have rolled in money by releasing it all on PC.

Also i don't think i would ever go outside again.

Not gonna happen lol.  Halo's the only exclusive title they have left worth a damn. 

#31 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Not gonna happen lol.  Halo's the only exclusive title they have left worth a damn. 

There are quite literally no advantages left in Exclusivity any more, other than to sell consoles, hence the reason i'm not buying X1 or H5.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#32 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

There are quite literally no advantages left in Exclusivity any more, other than to sell consoles, hence the reason i'm not buying X1 or H5.

As long as 343 is Microsoft's bitch (which at this point I'm fairly certain it always will be) that will always be the purpose of Halo, to be the posterchild of their console branch.

#33 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

As long as 343 is Microsoft's bitch (which at this point I'm fairly certain it always will be) that will always be the purpose of Halo, to be the posterchild of their console branch.

<sarcasm> Well Microsoft does computers don't they? I can't really seem to remember what Microsoft really does on computers? <end sarcasm>

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#34 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

<sarcasm> Well Microsoft does computers don't they? I can't really seem to remember what Microsoft really does on computers? <end sarcasm>

Each department likely is encouraged to report a certain ROI.

#35 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Spoiler

Well thank God there was no Season 2. Sp-Ops was boring as hell. Except that we actually played the same maps for half a season, the respawn thing was just nonsense. Clearing a level wasn't a matter of "if" anymore, but of "when". Just die and respawn, no challenge at all. Also, they kept the horrible go-there-push-this-button level-clearing thing. Which was already present in the Campaign, and it sucked. Quite hard.

I'm not saying Bungie did a good thing. I wasn't there when it happened so I can't say anything about it.

Well they cleared up that Epsilon indi/harvest issue.

BUT THEY KILLED SABRE TEAM 343 YOU SUCK COCK SO BADLY, BLACK TEAM NOW YOU KILL SABRE? YOU'RE FUCKING AVIN A GIGGLE.

Also, where did you read they killed Sabre? I seem I can't find the source...

#36 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Well thank God there was no Season 2. Sp-Ops was boring as hell. Except that we actually played the same maps for half a season, the respawn thing was just nonsense. Clearing a level wasn't a matter of "if" anymore, but of "when". Just die and respawn, no challenge at all. Also, they kept the horrible go-there-push-this-button level-clearing thing. Which was already present in the Campaign, and it sucked. Quite hard.

I'm not saying Bungie did a good thing. I wasn't there when it happened so I can't say anything about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ideogames.snow/

Look man I'm not disputing anything that you're saying.  But what you need to realize is that 1 in 10 people actually finish a video game's campaign.  Of the 4 millionish Halo fans out there maybe a million or two have likely played the games through (since Halo is a bit more popular).  There are 562,000 registered members on the universe forums.  I'd bet my left testicle that those represent people who have finished the game's campaign.  So I actually think the Catalog is a more effective way of spreading the lore than any novel or databook.  Maybe not as effective as a game, but in absence of one not a bad strategy.

Also keep in mind 343's primary purpose as a company is to earn a positive ROI for their shareholders.  They do that mostly by selling cool elements to add to multiplayer, any bones they throw us lore wise (like SpOps) earn them minimal returns so they are well appreciated. 

#37 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

In the video stuff and forum stiff that stark linked.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#38 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...ideogames.snow/

Look man I'm not disputing anything that you're saying.  But what you need to realize is that 1 in 10 people actually finish a video game's campaign.  Of the 4 millionish Halo fans out there maybe a million or two have likely played the games through (since Halo is a bit more popular).  There are 562,000 registered members on the universe forums.  I'd bet my left testicle that those represent people who have finished the game's campaign.  So I actually think the Catalog is a more effective way of spreading the lore than any novel or databook.  Maybe not as effective as a game, but in absence of one not a bad strategy.

Also keep in mind 343's primary purpose as a company is to earn a positive ROI for their shareholders.  They do that mostly by selling cool elements to add to multiplayer, any bones they throw us lore wise (like SpOps) earn them minimal returns so they are well appreciated. 

Ok, but I finish every game I buy. Or try to. Just because some guys don't finish a 10 hours long Halo, it doesn't mean that the next Halo should be 5 hours long. That makes no sense. If only Halo 4 had been a decent game, I would've had no problem with this Catalog thing. It's all a consequence, they do a shitty game and try to make up for their errors. The wrong way.

In the video stuff and forum stiff that stark linked.

I watched them but I couldn't find it.

#39 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

Ok, but I finish every game I buy. Or try to. Just because some guys don't finish a 10 hours long Halo, it doesn't mean that the next Halo should be 5 hours long. That makes no sense. If only Halo 4 had been a decent game, I would've had no problem with this Catalog thing. It's all a consequence, they do a shitty game and try to make up for their errors. The wrong way.

I watched them but I couldn't find it.

Same here I consider it a wasted investment if I don't finish a game unless its just unbearable.  But the thing is its not that some guys won't finish a 10 hour long halo game its that (in most cases) 90% of people won't finish a 10 hour halo game.  So if I have 100 million dollars for a budget, I'm not going to spend 50 million of that on something that's going to satisfy 10% of the consumer base.  I'll spend 10 million dollars and if 10 million dollars only gets me 5 hours of campaign, then I guess that's too bad, but 90% of the fan base will be pleased with a rocking multiplayer.  

My point is that as far as games go we Halo fans get a lot of great stuff (a lot of shit as well), and even though we do have a rabid fan base, we need to consider that the lore is not their top priority and that's okay.  And when they try and throw us a bone like the catalog I prefer it to a lack of content especially with topics (like the Shadow of Intent) that I've been curious about.

• SternuS likes this

#40 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:07 AM

My point is that as far as games go we Halo fans get a lot of great stuff (a lot of shit as well), and even though we do have a rabid fan base, we need to consider that the lore is not their top priority and that's okay.

Well that isn't really ok, but also Bungie contradicted themselves many times, so I can live with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users