• Create Account

Photo

New UNSC ships in Halo 4 (besides the Infinity)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#21 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hmm, yeah going to have to say that these might be just prop ships.

You're forgetting this is the start of a new series of canon. Whether we like it or not, if they choose to embrace it and run with it, we have no choice but to accept it as part of the post-halo 3 UNSC. That's different from the plot device Super Carrier as that was a (as of now) one time addition and seemingly a product of laziness. If more information about these new frigates becomes available, I'd be curious about adding them in.

yLM4TEk.png

#22 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

And remember what sets Humanity apart is its ability to take what doesn't work and change it to work. The UNSC got one massive ***kicking during the war. I'd be willing to bet that the lessons learned about what designs work and what doesn't are being applied to new ships and the refitting of old classes proven during the war.
  • Blazed on Mars likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#23 Kommrad II

Kommrad II

Ask me about those ship icons.

• Banned
  • 223 posts
  • LocationNEV-AH-DUH

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Humanity has finally gotten a chance to take a breath after years of getting the shit kicked out of it and has learned a lot. I'm glad the devs haven't gone for the ~old~ designs, that would mean after all this time us humans haven't learned from our mistakes and all this fancy forerunner and covie tech.

"Groovy."

Ask me about those ships icons I owe Unikraken.

#24 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Now that I think of it, the new ships look more in line with the "Unknown Colony Ship" from Halo Reach. I guess this is 343's way of bridging the gap between the UNSC's past and future ship designs.

Posted Image
"For Melisandre's vagina is dark and full of terror. Trust me, I know."

#25 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

God I hope not, those ships look like complete shit. Personally 343 dropped the ball with the UNSC in Halo 4. I like the new art direction, but I just wish it actually adhered to design elements that Bungie had established rather than saying "lolno we're going to make shit up."

Well, they did show several Halcyons during the multiplayer and prologue cutscenes, so I expect that those ships won't be substituting the classic capital ships.

#26 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

The thing that gets me about that cut scene is that they're willing to throw those in with the Infinity, and it looks nice, but they are also willing to break established ship designs and style to suit themselves. I mean making new ships for advancing humanity is one thing, and the infinity looks nice, it's just these new ships are completely uninspired in design and are white. I guess the colony ship above is white, too, but it's not a warship and thus is supposed to be more elegant.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#27 DEMONTHESE2211

DEMONTHESE2211

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

The thing that gets me about that cut scene is that they're willing to throw those in with the Infinity, and it looks nice, but they are also willing to break established ship designs and style to suit themselves. I mean making new ships for advancing humanity is one thing, and the infinity looks nice, it's just these new ships are completely uninspired in design and are white. I guess the colony ship above is white, too, but it's not a warship and thus is supposed to be more elegant.

It says in the wiki article that they were only meant to be a part of the background scenery so they wouldn't need to be fully textured or designed. Further as the UNSC incorporates more and more forerunner tech it is fairly safe to assume that their ships would adopt a more forerunner design with the more elegant and geometric style.

As a side note to anyone who has played EVE online, does the Antennae ship look like a drake or is it just me?
  • Centurian128 likes this

#28 Wolf186

Wolf186

GRRRRRR! RUFF!!

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

It does.

#29 Calm_Craftman

Calm_Craftman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Locationrip

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Remember when spartan ops episode 1 came out? its the ships the infinity could literally deploy from its sides and wreak havoc.
Im Retard

#30 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Those were the Charon class refit frigates.
Spoiler

#31 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

The Unidentified Antenna class showed up again in Spartan Ops yesterday, looks like it's gonna be here for a while.

Posted Image
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#32 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Yeah I saw them too. Gotta say they looked pretty good in that cutscene.
"For Melisandre's vagina is dark and full of terror. Trust me, I know."

#33 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

The Unidentified Antenna class showed up again in Spartan Ops yesterday, looks like it's gonna be here for a while.

UNSC Transciever, Antenna Class heavy cruiser

Just had to say that... back to your regularly scheduled programming
  • Emberblaque and David0425 like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#34 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

Did you find anything else on them... Or is it still to early to tell what exact roll they play...
Spoiler

#35 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

I'm willing to bet either Destroyer or Cruiser.

#36 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

Well I ment like troop deployment or fleet combat, but now that I think about it probably both any clue on weapons yet or no?
Spoiler

#37 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Nope, gonna guess that they're still usan' archers and the like.

#38 FEDE_snma

FEDE_snma

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSan Marino

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Oh my god, these ships just scream Mass Effect...
There isn't a single detail which make me think of them as UNSC vessels, and though i dont really like the Infinity or the new FoD they are surely better than that.

#39 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Oh my god, these ships just scream Mass Effect...
There isn't a single detail which make me think of them as UNSC vessels, and though i dont really like the Infinity or the new FoD they are surely better than that.

Mass effect ships are cookie cutter throughout the entire series, seriosuly, no imagination at all unless you look at the asari or geth ships. even then they are pretty standard.
Spoiler

#40 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

Yeah I have to agree. Basic geometric shapes slapped together - a block with a bevel on the nose and then flat inclined planes for wings. Very interesting designs. :rolleyes:

Seriously, how can you go from an amazing masterpiece of a model like the Paris-class, where it has just the right shape and attitude in every corner, to a highly boring and planar surface with little to no actual detail?

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users