• Create Account

Photo

Mines (Vote in the poll or I kill you)

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Poll: What should we do with mines? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

What should we do with mines?

1. Get rid of them completely. (14 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Voted Leave them as they are. (20 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Modify them in a way that I will post in the comments below. (36 votes [51.43%])

Percentage of vote: 51.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Calm_Craftman

Calm_Craftman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Locationrip

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

In the Distant stars mod they made mines into groups of 3 with just higher sensor range to keep down the thousands of mines
Im Retard

#82 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

So uh mines then, keep 'em eh?

They would need a reworking if anyone else is going to accept keeping them ingame.

Unless SoTP transfers to Rebellion right now.

UNSC alone is too vunerable to these things to warrant the mines power. When it takes like 5 minutes tops to hit the max cap to cover all lanes at all planets.

Sure I can take the time to clear but it is way too damn tedious that it borders unbalanced since we both be sitting here wasting like 30 minutes to navigate this field.

At this time everyone is just vunerable to being blown to pieces by defenses or fleets. Not exactly a fun game when both players are doing it at all planets.

#83 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

It seems that mines are currently seen as the trench warfare of SotP. There is no way I'm going to spend 4 hours trying to destroy the enemies' mines when my original plan was just a 42 minute invasion. We obviously need to come up with a better strategy. Since our Schlieffen plan isn't working out so hot, I propose a different strategy. And how about we call this strategy Blitzkrieg.

Hopefully one of the enemy empires will be tossed into rebellion to spare me from a two sided attack.
Don't read this signature.

#84 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

It seems that mines are currently seen as the trench warfare of SotP. There is no way I'm going to spend 4 hours trying to destroy the enemies' mines when my original plan was just a 42 minute invasion. We obviously need to come up with a better strategy. Since our Schlieffen plan isn't working out so hot, I propose a different strategy. And how about we call this strategy Blitzkrieg.

Hopefully one of the enemy empires will be tossed into rebellion to spare me from a two sided attack.

That's why I was thinking of having 1-3 mines per cluster but make them more powerful. like Shiva's or something like that.

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#85 atlas117b

atlas117b

Giver of Ideas

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

u have smac platforms and fighter bases, u shouldn’t be able to stop an entire fleet from taking ur planet. u should only be able to make the enemy commit the bulk of ther forces into taking it. if i have to sacrifice my entire fleet on one planet how will i protect it once its sacked?

if u want to get all "in the books" i do believe the UNSC lost reach and basically earth even though they were well protected. Defenses make the other guy think hard about what he is going to do, not prevent him from doing anything. smac platforms have massive range when built out, they can really reach out and touch the covy battle group even before they get to u. mines are a little overkill as basic defense. Prowler ability? Good idea... limited ability, better idea....

Fine, I will do this the dumbest F'n way possible so it is easier for you.

#86 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

That's why I was thinking of having 1-3 mines per cluster but make them more powerful. like Shiva's or something like that.

One whole concept of the mines is that they are too strong, and they already act as a level one Shiva. But if we limited how many are in a cluster, without increasing their range (at least not drastically, like double at the most), and we also limit how many can be placed in a gravity well, then they become more strategic tools. Once problem this mod had was SMAC walls, now they've been replaced by mine walls (by the players that can see the exploits). It promote people to instead use their mines as tactical structures, either by closely surrounding their planet to prevent enemy ships from getting close to their planet, even after strike craft have destroyed their SMACs and hangers or by putting them on the edges of gravity wells to prevent enemys from sneaking by all the SMACs you put down. If they try to skirt the outside of the gravity well then they would have to risk trying to take out the mines. And if they don't, then they would have to try and squeeze past your SMACs and the mines. All this would add more strategy for UNSC players to incorporate into their gameplay rather than just spamming for everything. With this incorporated we wouldn't have to nerf the damage mines do. They'd be the same ol' mines they used to be, but have a more strategic value to the UNSC.
  • SternuS likes this

#87 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

There is the issue that where it will drive the mine into the realm of uselessness.

Which is a issue even Vanilla Sins had. In which they do much of nothing (ram in high armor ship with repairs easy). Which is why nobody uses the things in PvP matches.

Have too many, it gets to be absurd.

Have too few, the worries of tedious clearing are now really fast clearing.

Really hard to get that sweet spot.

#88 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

There is the issue that where it will drive the mine into the realm of uselessness.
Which is a issue even Vanilla Sins had. In which they do much of nothing (ram in high armor ship with repairs easy). Which is why nobody uses the things in PvP matches.
Have too many, it gets to be absurd.
Have too few, the worries of tedious clearing are now really fast clearing.
Really hard to get that sweet spot.

That's why I'm leaning toward lowering the amout of mines available instead of decreasing the damage done. Currently one mine can destroy most ships, including Covenant ones, and what ever doesn't get destroyed by the intial explosion will be disabled by the secondary ability the mines have. This allows for the player that is being attacked to send in their defense fleet to finish off the job.

I would also like to see the ability to deploy mines added to prowlers, but with a signifigant cooldown and at the cost of resources too.

Also, I would like you to stop putting unneccesary breaks between your sentences. It takes up more space than is necessary.

#89 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

I would also like to see the ability to deploy mines added to prowlers, but with a signifigant cooldown and at the cost of resources too.

In all honesty, how hard would it be to take the mine laying ability from that one vasari ship and put it on the prowler? From what i understand of Sins coding, this isnt that hard to do, so why not try this out?

also dhoul... i see what you did there

What do you mean?

you spaced out your sentences, didnt you? at least, it looked like it to me. Eh, i could be wrong, i was in steam browser in game when i made that post, so it could have just been me.

#90 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

also dhoul... i see what you did there

What do you mean?

you spaced out your sentences, didnt you? at least, it looks like it to me. Eh, i could be wrong, i was in steam browser in game when i made that post, so it could have just been me.

I spaced out the sentences that weren't related to each other.

#91 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Also, I would like you to stop putting unneccesary breaks between your sentences. It takes up more space than is necessary.

And it is like reading something with too much space be tween the words

Anyways - I like that idea Dhoul - take into account that mines also were affected (internal playtesters only ATM) by the massive Shiva nerf unless Dianno changed the buff... so they do a *little* less now
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#92 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I spaced out the sentences that weren't related to each other.

ok, i took it as you making a joke, i get what you did now.

#93 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Anyways - I like that idea Dhoul - take into account that mines also were affected (internal playtesters only ATM) by the massive Shiva nerf unless Dianno changed the buff... so they do a *little* less now

Do they still have the ability to disable ships like they had before?

#94 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Do they still have the ability to disable ships like they had before?

yep
#define true false

Spoiler

#95 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I think my biggest issue with the mines is the fact that prowlers are the only way to get rid of them without setting them off, and that prowler ability runs on antimatter with a cooldown and limited AOE. If there were a dedicated minesweeper craft to plug into fleets that did the job better (maybe anti-fighter frigates, currently the Mako) I don't think people would have as much of a problem.

#96 Calm_Craftman

Calm_Craftman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Locationrip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

What about HORNET Mines they fit the shivas profile perfectly and from battle group Stalingrad destroyed 12 ships with 30 megaton payloads I think putting those individually down but having a bigger detonation range would be the most ideal for the unsc.

First edit didn't work sorry for the inconvenience.
Im Retard

#97 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

MrToaster I do believe you may incite rage from Zero on a double post....
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#98 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Oh dear.

#99 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

MrToaster I do believe you may incite rage from Zero on a double post....

Fixed
#define true false

Spoiler

#100 HoneyBadger565

HoneyBadger565

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Then use scouts?

"Admiral, scouts indicate a heavy minefield with SMAC support ahead. Shall we look for other rou-"
"ARR! FULL SPEED AHEAD YE SCURVY SPACE DOGS"

This doesn't happen in real life.

That is EXACTLY what they do, you say stop, hold position, they start moving again!
So freaking fustrating

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users