65 replies to this topic

#1 Moo Cow Banshee

Moo Cow Banshee

Prodigal Son

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Since the UNSC was field testing plasma based rhinos, will we see anything like plasma weapons on small prototype ships, an expensive researchable frigates or something?

#2 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

No.

#3 Moo Cow Banshee

Moo Cow Banshee

Prodigal Son

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Okay just asking.

#4 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

That's a little misleading. It is safe to bet that any energy-related technology for the UNSC won't appear until the Rebellion release. But if there was a canon example of a UNSC ship with energy-based weapons there's no particular reason it would be excluded. Or if we were interested in the idea of putting energy-based weapons on a ship there's no reason we couldn't use that as a justification. But there are no concrete plans for such a thing in the foreseeable future.

#5 CQBEXPT

CQBEXPT

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • LocationA meth lab

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

maybe in rebellion. Even then dont get your hopes up.
Posted Image

#6 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

That's a little misleading. It is safe to bet that any energy-related technology for the UNSC won't appear until the Rebellion release. But if there was a canon example of a UNSC ship with energy-based weapons there's no particular reason it would be excluded. Or if we were interested in the idea of putting energy-based weapons on a ship there's no reason we couldn't use that as a justification. But there are no concrete plans for such a thing in the foreseeable future.

UNSC Prowlers have pulse laser turrets/guns mounted on them, though I think it said specifically in GoO that it was completely human made. Makes sense since even today we have laser based weaponry.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

UNSC Prowlers have pulse laser turrets/guns mounted on them, though I think it said specifically in GoO that it was completely human made. Makes sense since even today we have laser based weaponry.

This is true, and the Prowler in-game does already possess pulse lasers. It would perhaps be more accurate to say plasma-based weapons rather than directed-energy weapons in general.

#8 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

UNSC Infinity will have DEWs. See Halo 4's end missions for more info.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#9 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Can you just specify laser or plasma? I don't have a copy, I haven't played it, and a cursory search yielded nothing.

#10 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Can you just specify laser or plasma? I don't have a copy, I haven't played it, and a cursory search yielded nothing.

the Infinity has two energy projectors on its front side, both of which are powerful enough to shoot a hole into a forerunner ship

#11 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

the Infinity has two energy projectors on its front side, both of which are powerful enough to shoot a hole into a forerunner ship

I thought that the Infinity was using one of its SMACs.
Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.™

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I thought that the Infinity was using one of its SMACs.

Even though the Infinity is the largest ship in the UNSC fleet, it doesnt have enough power to use an SMAC. Instead, it has 4 "Series 8 MACs" and a mac turret on the top that is similar to the Onager from reach

http://halo.wikia.co...i/UNSC_Infinity

#13 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Even though the Infinity is the largest ship in the UNSC fleet, it doesnt have enough power to use an SMAC. Instead, it has 4 "Series 8 MACs" and a mac turret on the top that is similar to the Onager from reach

http://halo.wikia.co...i/UNSC_Infinity

Ah, I was assuming that the Series was the S in SMACs at that time. I guess i was mistaken.
Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.™

#14 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

No, SMAC stands for Super MAC

#15 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm pretty sure they're plasma, because of the way the beam looks when it's fired. They're definitely not MACs. It's a sustained beam from ship to target. And since it blows a hole in the ship it must be plasma.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#16 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

#17 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'd be curious to see a UNSC ship use a gigantic version of the Spartan laser. Would be an interesting concept.
  • Defender0, KhevaKins and Wikia like this

yLM4TEk.png

#18 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I'd be curious to see a UNSC ship use a gigantic version of the Spartan laser. Would be an interesting concept.

Or a Scorpion and/or Grizzly tank with an upgraded version of one as the primary weapon.
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#19 Wolf186

Wolf186

GRRRRRR! RUFF!!

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Lolz, just imagine it, an Orion Class Laser Refit.

#20 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm pretty sure they're plasma, because of the way the beam looks when it's fired. They're definitely not MACs. It's a sustained beam from ship to target. And since it blows a hole in the ship it must be plasma.

is there any canon source for that specific weapon? i would really like to see what non-UNSC weaponry it has

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users