65 replies to this topic

#41 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

Yeh there are the valuably has an incredible amount of nukes come to think of it

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#42 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Defender we've never seen those in combat outside SOTP.

The valiant is a heavily modified marathon (which has 2 MACs), the supercarrier has the tiny chance of having THREE MACs, and the athens may or may not have a double MAC (up for debate, both sides have their merits).

#43 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

Defender we've never seen those in combat outside SOTP.
Infinity looks like it has some energy projectors, as witnessed when cackling the mantle approaches hull.

If you believe all the information out there about the UNSC Infinity (from 343) it h MACs no energy projectors. Basically they fucked up the look of a MAC. Could have been a few things: one they may have intended for it to have energy projectors originally then the story writers nixed it w/out enough time to change it or the guy that did that effect should not have a job any more, that is if he was told to make a MAC.
  • Lavo likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#44 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well thats what the effect looked like to me. In theory a simple MAC could be used to fire some form of energy beam or plasma weapon.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#45 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

If you believe all the information out there about the UNSC Infinity (from 343) it h MACs no energy projectors. Basically they fucked up the look of a MAC. Could have been a few things: one they may have intended for it to have energy projectors originally then the story writers nixed it w/out enough time to change it or the guy that did that effect should not have a job any more, that is if he was told to make a MAC.

lol. I don't.

It's NOT a MAC. It's an EP. 343, you're doing it wrong. You're drunk, go home. I don't care what anyone says, I'm never going to believe that weapon is anything other than a directed energy weapon. lol...

[/major rant]

• Defender0, Bornstellaris, zaun3694 and 2 others like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#46 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

That still confuses me, the orbital defence grid aka smac wall couldn't scrape the paint of the Mantles approach but the Infinity tore it a new one. If the Infinity doesn't have energy projectors then how in hell did it damage the Mantle with shipboard macs? Also only two beams(?) are shown fired from the infinity. I know it's a nerd-problem but 4 ship macs are nowhere near as powerful as a smac-grid. DAMMIT 343 WHY YOU MAKE NO SENSE?
  • Lavo likes this
Sweden can into gender!

#47 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

That still confuses me, the orbital defence grid aka smac wall couldn't scrape the paint of the Mantles approach but the Infinity tore it a new one. If the Infinity doesn't have energy projectors then how in hell did it damage the Mantle with shipboard macs? Also only two beams(?) are shown fired from the infinity. I know it's a nerd-problem but 4 ship macs are nowhere near as powerful as a smac-grid. DAMMIT 343 WHY YOU MAKE NO SENSE?

This. That and the fact that the SMACs couldnt dent the shields but infinity BORE A HOLE THROUGH THE HULL.

Also, for reference, the line about SMACs follows as such: "this is earth orbital defense, MAC defenses are ineffective."

• sloosecannon and Lavo like this

#48 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

And we have that point as well. That's why they need to get their act together and figure it out. While the 2 (4?) MACs on the Infinity could (maybe?) be as powerful as SMACs, they still wouldn't have any effect according to that little radio snippet. blech.

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#49 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

The Orbital defense grid may not have survived the war.

Also Infinity is 4Km long the 4 MAcs could run up to 3Km easily, And That's double the length of a SMAC platform.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#50 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

The Orbital defense grid may not have survived the war.

Also Infinity is 4Km long the 4 MAcs could run up to 3Km easily, And That's double the length of a SMAC platform.

5.6 KM (~3.5 miles), also, the SMAC fired a 3,000 metric ton projectile at 4% the speed of light. Its reactor was ground based because it was so big that it would not fit on the station. Considering the amount of power needed, i doubt any ship would have the capability of housing that reactor along with other essential ship components. And even if a ship could house that kind of reactor, it could become a very large (literally) liability as well as a choice target for enemy ships.

#51 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Well considering how Powerful forerunner engines are. They could fit in the dreadnought, and could fully power all of high charity, whilst not even at full capacity.

infinity has forerunner engines right?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#52 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

Well considering how Powerful forerunner engines are. They could fit in the dreadnought, and could fully power all of high charity, whilst not even at full capacity.

infinity has forerunner engines right?

that was the forerunners reactor output that was going to the engines. Engines on their own wont run shit. And i would be willing to bet that infinity is running on a human reactor.

#53 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

“When you take engines built by aliens a hundred thousand years ago and hire a war criminal to bolt them onto the ship, you can't expect predictable behavior!”

—Glassman to Captain Thomas Lasky.
Not sure if they include human reactors but maybe.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#54 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well they say engines not reactor or power source, so I am going to assume Infinity has a human powerplant. The problem is that until 343 get their act together and treat Halo like Halo instead of CoD in space that is all we have, assumptions.
Sweden can into gender!

#55 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

This. That and the fact that the SMACs couldnt dent the shields but infinity BORE A HOLE THROUGH THE HULL.

Also, for reference, the line about SMACs follows as such: "this is earth orbital defense, MAC defenses are ineffective."

Don't tell me that you will be carrying that over into the mod...  :o

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#56 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

SMACs are being very finely balanced. They're effective when you use them right.

#57 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Don't tell me that you will be carrying that over into the mod...  :o

Spoiler

• sloosecannon, JasonAHawkins, MrChipps and 2 others like this

#58 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

*cough* So... uhhh... where did we land on the Spartan laser ships?

• MrChipps likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#59 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

I had an idea.
To help further distinguish between the ONI and MIC factions how about make the Spartan laser ship faction specific, ONI to be precise.

Research that improves Prowlers lasers and shielding tech leads to being able to field these ships only if you are the ONI faction. We could even make the Orion specific to MIC as the alternative to the laser ship.

• Moustachio86 likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#60 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOOOOOOSE.

But yeah, the premise of that sounds good to me.
  • Emberblaque likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users