• Create Account

Photo

Infinity at Reach (some conjecture I guess)

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

So the other day I was being my nerdy self and decided to contemplate how the battle of Reach may have gone had infinity and all of the tech/spartan 4s been completed and present during the battle. Halo nation (halo.wikia.com) claims that there were about 750 covenant ships involved, however, if I'm recalling correctly they did not all jump in at once. There were also about 150 UNSC ships and a super carrier present alongside Reach's smac platforms. I think that even with Infinity present Reach may have still fallen. Covenant losses would have been heavier for sure, but I'm not sure that even the badassery of Infinity could help against those odds. As the battle turned south I think they would've made the decision to pull Infinity back to Earth.

On the other hand, with a little (or alot) of luck the Infinity may have been just the thing to tip the scales. I imagine that it could be used to take on the larger covenant ships early on, and leave the smaller vessels to the rest of the fleet. The waves of covenant ships would be far less effective if they kept losing their carriers as they jumped to Reach. The spartan 4's would also have done a great deal to bolster ground defenses, possibly preventing the smac platforms from going dark.

Who knows. O:

#2 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Deleted duplicate post...

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#3 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

oops lol

#4 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'd use the Infinity to bolster ground forces. It would free up the frigates used in atmosphere to fight the bigger ships in space. The SMAC platform generators would also be protected.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#5 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Good point. It could also smash the corvets that were being used by the covenant in atmosphere.

#6 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

Think about what infinity was designed to do.

• Fend off an invasion of earth.
  • Integrate new forerunner technology.
  • Command and control ship for the whole UNSC navy.

Infinity may have been a match for that supercarrier, and killed that whole staging area with its mac blasts.

When the main covvie fleet jumped in, Infinity could do an on the pin slipspace jump, appearing thus off the battle line ramming every ship in sight, That super-cruiser may have been problematic.

Honestly i would expect to see around 10% of reach glassed, but it would have held.

Considering the Infinity is a f*****g monster by most sci-fi standards, 

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#7 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:07 AM

Personally I think the supercruiser at peak operating capacity would have sliced Infinity in half. Granted, Infinity had shields, but the cradle at Reach was the thickest form of shield the UNSC had to guard their ships from the first wave of torpedoes and even then it was turned into swiss cheese. We cannot really say how well the Infinity can do against fully functional Covenant starships because everything in Halo 4 was unshielded and run down.

• Bornstellaris and Lavo like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

Infinity by herself would have had an impact if she had all the tech implemented after the discovery and early exploitation of Onyx. That being said she wouldn't have turned the battle by herself there were multiple CASs present and the Super-Cruiser, not to mention the Covies fleet commander would have had his fleet focus fire on Infinity. The UNSC would have needed multiple ships of Infinity's class to be present to have own that battle in space.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#9 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

The supercruiser only inflicted so much damage because It did on the pin slipspace jumps. 

Come out of slipspace, fire, back into slipspace. Repeat process. This process could be done with infinity too, seeing how fast it terminated an emerency slipspace jump.

The super carrier was not a combat ship, mainly its a mobile staging post for smaller ships and troops.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#10 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

The super carrier was not a combat ship, mainly its a mobile staging post for smaller ships and troops.

According to the wiki, the plot device-class had at least 7 energy projectors. The CAS has 3. I would say that thing is capable of ship to ship combat.

#11 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Depends do I get all the Autumn Class Heavy Cruisers as well as the Strident Class Frigates that came with Infinity era tech?

If so I can see them holding on a bit longer probably not a stalemate though. They sure wouldn't be able to touch Earth though coupled with that huge SMAC Defense with that fleet.

#12 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Reach....Reach.....
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#13 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

super carrier

:(
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#14 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Reach....Reach.....

Calm down will yah. They wouldn't hold Reach just by lack of the orbital defensive structures Earth had. There was simply no number capacity no matter how advanced you gotten unless you were at a clear advantage like Forerunners vs Covenant. I mean they had a few SMACs but not the ridiculous number Earth had. Coupled with Forerunner shielded ships + Covenant separatists. You have the makings of one hell of a defense.

#15 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

According to the wiki, the plot device-class had at least 7 energy projectors. The CAS has 3. I would say that thing is capable of ship to ship combat.

At least seven energy projectors [citation needed]

[citation needed]

Its like having a fort thats the height of the statue of liberty, no matter how many weapons or armour you put on it, it will just make it easier to hit.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#16 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Its like having a fort thats the height of the statue of liberty, no matter how many weapons or armour you put on it, it will just make it easier to hit.

insert fortress class vessle here.

Really though, theres a point when your ship is so big that the enemy needs a prototype weapon, or an entire fleet, to even put a hole in it

#17 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Please tell me your not going to give forerunners the fortress class, or even try, 50 to 100Km is stupid.

I think the covenant super destroyer/battleship serves the same purpose as the Supercarrier 

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#18 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

Please tell me your not going to give forerunners the fortress class, or even try, 50 to 100Km is stupid.

I think the covenant super destroyer/battleship serves the same purpose as the Supercarrier 

LOL i will never give them that ship, it breaks the scale of sins worse than the plot device. My point was that, if you have enough weapons and armor, it doesnt matter how big the ship is because of the sheer amount of resources someone would need to destroy it.

#19 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

#WaveMotion Gun

#Death Star

#Eclipse

#Galaxy Gun

#Sovereign 

• Defender0, Bornstellaris, Aunt Gruntie and 3 others like this

#20 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

I think they  would have still lost, I mean  161(150 + 10 strident + 1 Infinity)ships + 20 SMAC's against ca. 700+ ships, their is simply no way they could have won this.

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users