• Create Account

Photo

Infinity at Reach (some conjecture I guess)

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#41 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

Yes it has Forerunner engines and technology integrated, but its done with human understanding. The Prometheans from Requiem were capable of slipspacing themselves onto the Infinity, thus bolstering our understanding of Forerunner technology is not entirely what we seem to think it is. Besides, doing hit and run tactics inside a fleet of 700+ ships by yourself would be suicide because even if Infinity took the time to deploy its units in the thick of things, all ships would focus fire on the Infinity because it would be in deep without cover from both the UNSC fleet and SMAC wall and would be severely overwhelmed. In the time it took for Infinity to spool up FTL while firing its guns, it would probably be obliterated by over a hundred energy projectors (charge time for MACs, point defense turrets and firing of rockets would not be instantaneous).

Do you remember how quickly that emergency slipspace transition was?

It entered and exited slipspace in less than 2 seconds.

Also when Infinty exited slipspace above requiem, Remember how it rammed that cruiser, putting strain on its shields, had enough energy to deploy frigates, and a metric butt ton of missiles.

Also forgetting that Infinity has enough/missiles powerful enough to destroy a (possibly shielded) destroyer.

Also i cant remember infinities exact slipspace deviation, i think it was about 1Km, the covenants was nowhere close  because they don't use AIs to utilise them to its full use.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#42 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Infinity had a plus or minus 8 meter deviation upon exiting slipspace. Remember the RCS cruiser that Infinity rammed did not have functioning shields and the Destroyer that Infinity destroyed at Sanghelios did not have functioning shields also that was a light destroyer not the more famous CPV. That emergency slipspace jump injured quite a few of Infinities crew. Now were any of the injuries life threatening no but do yo really want to continually injure you crew who you rely on in battle. And the covenant could exit slipspace right next to Gamma Station and the ODPs at Reach the necessary accuracy to do that is roughly the same as Infinity. Now you continue to ignor just how out match the UNSC was at Reach one ship would not be able to change the outcome short of a Forerunner capital ship or something from Star Wars or Star Trek. You argue that if Infinity showed up after the battle she would have one. Lasky or Del Rio would not have stated around to fight if they stayed for any amount of time it would have been to evac any forces the could with minimal exposure to the ship. You simply do not take that kind of risk (trying to defeat e covenant fleet) for a planet that serves you no purpose anymore
  • MrChipps and SternuS like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#43 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

short of a Forerunner capital ship or something from Star Wars or Star Trek

So accurate...

#44 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

The ships may or may not have had shields. 

The emergency slipspace jump was not responsible for injuries. You remember when the star whent nova? well it touched infinity look you can barely see her.

640px-Requiem_boom.png

Also you say one ship cannot change the outcome of a battle.

I invite you to look at Simo Hayha and his contribution in the battle of Kollaa.

5 soviet divisions and a tank brigade against a single finnish division. Outnumbered 7 to 1.

Simo went into back o beyond and killed enough officers and men, that they sent an entire battalion to get him, effectively reducing the support of the red army.

He tallied a total 500 with his rifle and a further 200 with an SMG, and thats just the ones that were confirmed.

Eventually he took a soviet anti tank rifle round to the face.

He survived.

Point: one person or item can effectively nullify a technological, numerical or other advantage, no matter how small.  

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#45 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Thats a sniper (a VERY good sniper) performing anti-infantry duty... thats not the human covenant war

#46 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

It is an example. One item or person no matter how outnumbered or outgunned can help.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#47 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

It is an example. One item or person no matter how outnumbered or outgunned can help.

theres the point of ridiculousness though. The guy was hiding in the snow, to the point that he was so hidden a russian stepped on him and didnt notice him. In space, especially if you are constantly slipspace jumping, you stand out like a sore thumb, simply because of the cerenkov radiation

#48 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

As i said, example. I wasn't implying that infinity would hide (where and how would you hide that thing anyway.)

I will give further examples.

WW2 North africa 1941, 500,000 italian troops surrender to 30,000 british troops.

Battle of omdurman, 60,000 mahdists against 4000 british troops. (rest of the army did not take part.) 47 british dead 382 wounded.  10000 mahdist dead, 13,000 wounded, 5000 captured.

Spanish armarda.

battle of thermopalae.

Battle of marathon.

battles of Roßbach

battle of Leuthen
battle ofLiegnitz
battle of Italeni
Keelung campaign
Battle of Nui Bop
Siege of Tuyen Quang 
Battle of Abu Klea
Battle of Crecy, 1346
Battle of agincourt 
I could go on and on.
One thing can apply to another. For instance i could apply a ground tactic such as a hoplite phalanx to space combat, with overlapping shields.

• SternuS likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#49 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

As i said, example. I wasn't implying that infinity would hide (where and how would you hide that thing anyway.)

I will give further examples.

WW2 North africa 1941, 500,000 italian troops surrender to 30,000 british troops.

Battle of omdurman, 60,000 mahdists against 4000 british troops. (rest of the army did not take part.) 47 british dead 382 wounded.  10000 mahdist dead, 13,000 wounded, 5000 captured.

Spanish armarda.

battle of thermopalae.

Battle of marathon.

battles of Roßbach

battle of Leuthen
battle ofLiegnitz
battle of Italeni
Keelung campaign
Battle of Nui Bop
Siege of Tuyen Quang 
Battle of Abu Klea
Battle of Crecy, 1346
Battle of agincourt 
I could go on and on.
One thing can apply to another. For instance i could apply a ground tactic such as a hoplite phalanx to space combat, with overlapping shields.

THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS IS NOTABLY ABSENT.

• sloosecannon likes this

#50 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't like to mention 1812. The whole war was stupid.

USA invades canada. YOU MONSTERS!

You may want to look at the general casualties of the whole war.

Also 500,000 armed Americans against 60000 at most, throughout the whole war.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#51 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Battles on the scale of 100s if thousands of kilometers that involve hundreds of ships are not won by a single ship specifically when her weapons are step up the way that Infinity's are. She is not a 106 gun man of war in the 18th Century. Her main battery consists of 4 MACs those are her only effective weapons against energy shielding. Everything else on board will only work reliably against an unshielded target or a target who's shields are down. She is nothing near a Forerunner warship yet her shielding yes but her weapons are still inferior to the weapons which the Covenant field. Yes she has a large number if Oneager like MACs how ever those are used for point defence. Yes you see them destroy a CRS that is smaller than a Charon and is unshielded, however they would be useless against a shielded target.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#52 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Can i remind you Imperial ships of the 18th century were the first to be armored and even then they were still boarded or sunk.

And that the infinities weaponry volley not only penetrated the Mantles approaches hull, But probably bought down its shields too.

And it wasn't a CRS it was a RCS class.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#53 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

Its still weird don't you think.

SternuS would know what to make of it.

I think I'm missing the joke here?

Ehm, we actually had less than 300,000 men, but still...

Anyway, I thought 1941 was part of the number, and I thought "Wow, did we actually deploy 2 BILLION soldiers down there?"

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#54 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

They would have still lost. Take the Bismarck for example, she was one of the best armed and armored ship at her time and she could easily fight against 2 British Battelship (hood and Prince of wales) with only help from a cruiser and win, but in the end she got sunk by 5 other British Battleships.

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#55 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

I think I'm missing the joke here?

Ehm, we actually had less than 300,000 men, but still...

Anyway, I thought 1941 was part of the number, and I thought "Wow, did we actually deploy 2 BILLION soldiers down there?"

Yes, yes you are mr logic.

Actual combat troops you're spot on, but you Italians liked your foreign auxiliary's.

5 battleships?

1 super battleship.

2 battleships 

3 battlecruisers

• SternuS likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#56 chiefship

chiefship

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

i did'nt know the right number of ships, sorry. it was still 1 vs 6

Spoiler

#57 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

I am pretty sure the planes and carriers were more instrumental than the battleships against the Bismark.

Because fuck the rudder is gone. Easy to hit a target going in a set and predictable path. 

• SPECTRE likes this

#58 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

those were the ships hunting Bismark.

The ship that actually sunk Bismark was a destroyer.

The superstructure wasn't a match for the superbattleship Rodneys 16 inch guns.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#59 chiefship

chiefship

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

my point is, it dosen't matter how good your ship is, when it gets outnumber  it will be destroyed (infinity against hundreds of cov ships as other example).

• SternuS likes this

Spoiler

#60 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well to be fair the Covenant is essentially Stalin. They don't give a fuck of how many they lose, I'll just continue to send hordes of units after you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users