• Create Account

Photo

Infinity at Reach (some conjecture I guess)

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#121 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

I have never understood that argument. Engineers/huragok are forerunner by design. They were built by the forerunners. The 'offspring' of two engineer contains the knowledge it's 'parents' did (IIRC). Therefore, by some nature, EVERY engineer in existence would have knowledge of forerunner tech. Maybe ranging from "OMG it was on a shield world" to "It knows how to make forerunner washing machines" but they'd all hold some knowledge about forerunner tech.

Huragok are living computers, as they gather more information (about thier lives) they must make more room for it, so they delete older data (tech) so when two engineers build another and do a data transfer, the newest huragok will have memories of previous huragok generations too.

Huragok are sentient, living machines, and like any other machines they require maintenance, for all we know huragok may not have been able to self maintain (probably as a failsafe in case they were charged with maintanance of an AI which went rogue) so that engeneers require maintenance from the forerunner lifeworker caste.

With the time difference inside Trevelyan, the huragok could only be say 5 years old, or less generations than the ones the cov found which probably have thousands of generations.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#122 David0425

David0425

Petty Officer Second Class

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Steam:dtw0425
  • LocationEarth, Homefleet, UNSC Glorious Warrior

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

The hurogok are extremely restricted on the infinity and port Stanley during Thursday war. Mostly because the unsc was afraid they would totally mess up everything, or be captured with the knowledge of Human tech. It's quiet possible that they still are restricted from all out refit and improvement of vessels, given the unsc's slow understanding, and knowledge on forerunner tech, and how it functions. So it's logical to assume the hurogok ony repair the infinity rather than improve it. Look at the promethean and covenant boarders during the requiem events. If the hurogok had indeed been captured too, the covenant would be much stronger.
"They must love the smell of Green." Thanks SOTP Modding team for all your Hard work, and effort in this mod!<br />
-Sergeant Avery Johnson,Halo 3<br />
Spoiler

#123 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

So this may be because i don't own the 'rereleased' books but didnt the covie ships need 1minute to come online after a pinned slip-space jump due to energy requirements? Also why did reach have only...30 super macs while earth had 300+?

Also... How the hell did the infitanty(sp) punch through mates approach and its shields/armor when a Super-Mac couldt?

Bungie y u love 300 or 7 ;-;

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - UNSC play through

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z31qnK9A6Ns Part 1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=36Fxu7LQ-gE Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GvGB87lwebg Part 3

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWpYkrVkiuI Part 4

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - Covenant play through coming soon

#124 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

Reach had 20 SMACs, and because with the threat of the Covenant they needed to defend their greatest population center.  Earth still had over ten times the population of Reach. 

• SPECTRE likes this

#125 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

So this may be because i don't own the 'rereleased' books but didnt the covie ships need 1minute to come online after a pinned slip-space jump due to energy requirements? Also why did reach have only...30 super macs while earth had 300+?

Also... How the hell did the infitanty(sp) punch through mates approach and its shields/armor when a Super-Mac couldt?

Bungie y u love 300 or 7 ;-;

Because somehow 7 is the most perfect number of the universe according to sciency types and I guess 300 because their was 300 spartans in that movie...............whats it called again...........em..............................Sparticus?

#126 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Reach had 20 SMACs, and because with the threat of the Covenant they needed to defend their greatest population center.  Earth still had over ten times the population of Reach. 

First of all, wasn't Reach its major SHIPYARD/RnD lab/ Fortress world? Who the hell thinks 20 is enough when EARTH get's 300? I understand Moral of losing earth but... I would rather want to run away -which needs starships- then LOSE the major world with that ability

Because somehow 7 is the most perfect number of the universe according to sciency types and I guess 300 because their was 300 spartans in that movie...............whats it called again...........em..............................Sparticus?

It... was literally called 300, btw new movie coming out to be a follow-up on it

- Somebody please answer this shit, How the hell did the infinity punch through mantles approach and its shields/armor when a Super-Mac could't?

#127 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

First of all, wasn't Reach its major SHIPYARD/RnD lab/ Fortress world? Who the hell thinks 20 is enough when EARTH get's 300? I understand Moral of losing earth but... I would rather want to run away -which needs starships- then LOSE the major world with that ability

It... was literally called 300, btw new movie coming out to be a follow-up on it

- Somebody please answer this shit, How the hell did the infinity punch through mantles approach and its shields/armor when a Super-Mac could't?

I know bud, was just messin :D

Yeah lookin forward to the new film, should be a blast, though I prefer my spartans with a bit more armor, like Mark VI, lol :rolleyes:

#128 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I know bud, was just messin :D

Yeah lookin forward to the new film, should be a blast, though I prefer my spartans with a bit more armor, like Mark VI, lol :rolleyes:

oh xD, Well I will always take half naked men... less armor... You know what, Its gonna sound gay no matter what. I fucking PERFER Spartans from Sparta over Spartan's unless there's some freaky AI impl... well anyway.. ya.

#129 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

343 trying to outdo Bungie and thus breaks everything in the process. Because Infinity is a deus ex machina and for that reason Halo just doesn't really interest me anymore. Probably why I'm going to jump on the Destiny train when it comes out, because Halo just doesn't have that feeling of Master Chief is Earth's last best hope for survival - there's all this other shit now.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#130 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Because the SMAC has been retconned to 8.5 times as strong as the regular frigate MAC.  In other words Infinity's gun is bigger than the SMAC so it should do more damage.

#131 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Because the SMAC has been retconned to 8.5 times as strong as the regular frigate MAC. In other words Infinity's gun is bigger than the SMAC so it should do more damage.

Well way to fuck up Johnson 343. Now his punch through one cap, go straight through another, and disable the third is bullshit. What was the MAC's original output? If it was lowered, I don't see why they didn't give Infinity some Forerunner pulse beam bs instead of messing with my precious defense platforms.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#132 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

Because the SMAC has been retconned to 8.5 times as strong as the regular frigate MAC.  In other words Infinity's gun is bigger than the SMAC so it should do more damage.

When was this retconned. No way could a frigate with a MAC barrel of 300m firing a 600T (i think it was just the cruisers that used this wieght round anyway)  round be anywhere an eighth of a SMAc with a 1300M barrel and 3000T round 

Also the infinity uses A super heavy MAC (SHMAC here on in) where its barrel could easily be up to 5000M in length, fire a 6000T round and use forerunner tech.

• Crisiss likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#133 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Done the math the SMAC is 89554555.3314 more powerful than the MAC.

SMAC= 5570 GT explosive power (more than UNSC nukes)

MAC= 64.43

5570 GT to KT= 5770000000

5770000000/64.43

• Crisiss likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#134 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Done the math the SMAC is 89554555.3314 more powerful than the MAC.
SMAC= 5570 GT explosive power (more than UNSC nukes)
MAC= 64.43
5570 GT to KT= 5770000000
5770000000/64.43

Well shit. The SHMAC's output must be insane then. Regardless how could a line of SMACs not punch through Mantle's Approach but a HAVOK nuke could destroy the entire ship?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#135 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Well shit. The SHMAC's output must be insane then. Regardless how could a line of SMACs not punch through Mantle's Approach but a HAVOK nuke could destroy the entire ship?

Why bother shielding the inside of a ship.

A grenade won't be able to take out a tank, but if you drop it inside there is a different outcome.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#136 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Why bother shielding the inside of a ship.
A grenade won't be able to take out a tank, but if you drop it inside there is a different outcome.

I don't know why but I have a tendency to forget that Forerunner ships have shielding. Something something holyshitthatstoughium armor.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#137 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I don't know why but I have a tendency to forget that Forerunner ships have shielding. Something something holyshitthatstoughium armor.

Even armor is only usually on the outside. That nuke could very well have caused some sort of cataclysmic chain-reaction inside of the ship that blew the armor out...
  • D4RKST0RM99 and SPECTRE like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#138 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Even armor is only usually on the outside. That nuke could very well have caused some sort of cataclysmic chain-reaction inside of the ship that blew the armor out...

Still though, for a tactical nuke (emphasis on tactical) I wouldn't expect it's yield to be enough to go 86 miles left/right, 89 miles front/back, and then 231 miles up while blowing through the superstructure with ease. I get that's it's a nuke but come on.

But yes obviously the interior would be much less armored than the exterior. Regardless, the SMACs still should have done something.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#139 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Still though, for a tactical nuke (emphasis on tactical) I wouldn't expect it's yield to be enough to go 86 miles left/right, 89 miles front/back, and then 231 miles up while blowing through the superstructure with ease. I get that's it's a nuke but come on.

But yes obviously the interior would be much less armored than the exterior. Regardless, the SMACs still should have done something.

It dosent have to, it just needs to weaken the superstructure enough to let inertia do the rest of the work for the ship to tear itself apart along with what ever power scource it uses detonating as well, think of the nuke as the detonator stuck to a block of C4

• SPECTRE likes this

#140 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

It dosent have to, it just needs to weaken the superstructure enough to let inertia do the rest of the work for the ship to tear itself apart along with what ever power scource it uses detonating as well, think of the nuke as the detonator stuck to a block of C4

There is a type of torpedo (mk 8 British) that explodes beneath the ship, this blows out all the water beneath the ship, this leaves the hull unsupported, and snaps the ship in two. You can see how devastating it is by looking at the sinking of the ARA cruiser: general belgrano by HMS conqueror.
In the case of a ship in space, the detonation of a nuke inside the ship will cause extreme heat leading to rapid expansion of air inside the ship bulking it out.
Then you have to take into account the shockwave of such a blast.
  • MrChipps likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users