#61 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

IIRC there were 2 different warp scales in TNG and TOS. In TNG it went up above 10, in TOS 10 was infinite velocity... I remember reading some retcon about that a long time ago. Basically though, when there's a number above 10, they're using the other warp scale (I think that one is exponential and the other one is linear... something like that...)

And yes, I'm totally gonna sidestep that whole thing you guys have going on...

EDIT: Short reading indicates it's the other way... TNG Warp 10 is infinite. Whatever...

• MrChipps likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#62 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

Warp Factor 10 applying to standard warp drives is still Infinite Velocity. As the scale is still used even in Voyager with a max of 9.975 in standard warp. TNG did change it for a time with odd factors like 11 (somewhat like TOS with theirs) but Voyager sent it back to the scale of Warp 10 as the maximum.

However Warp Factor 10 is multifaceted in its definition.

- Infinite Velocity

- Transwarp Threshold (Voyager)

- Slang for going really fast

Regarding transwarp, the scale is completely different. Warp 10 isn't applicable to a transwarp scaling as shown in the Star Trek III movie.

The area past Warp 10 is sketchy at best.

I mean possibly Quantum Slipstream can travel trans-galactic in minutes or even seconds. Faster than even Hyperdrives in SW. Just we're never shown it.

#63 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

Warp Factor 10 applying to standard warp drives is still Infinite Velocity. As the scale is still used even in Voyager with a max of 9.975 in standard warp. TNG did change it for a time with odd factors like 11 somewhat like TOS with theirs but Voyager sent it back to the scale of Warp 10 as the maximum.

However Warp Factor 10 is multifaceted in its definition.

- Infinite Velocity

- Transwarp Threshold (Voyager)

- Slang for going really fast

Regarding transwarp, the scale is completely different. Warp 10 isn't applicable to a transwarp scaling as shown in the Star Trek III movie.

The area past Warp 10 is sketchy at best. I mean possibly Quantum Slipstream can travel trans-galactic in minutes or even seconds. Faster than even Hyperdrives in SW. Just we're never shown it.

Basically, warp factors are just one giant WTF

#define true false

Spoiler

#64 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Warp Factors are driven by what the plot needs essentially.

Though Voyager might have been the nail that says this is what the scale is. That scale is from 1 to 10. Anything else is not a standard warp drive anymore. Plot moves to a drive that's not standard warp.

#65 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

Warp Factors are driven by what the plot needs essentially.

Though Voyager might have been the nail that says this is what the scale is. That scale is from 1 to 10. Anything else is not a standard warp drive anymore. Plot moves to a drive that's not standard warp.

yep. sounds about right...

#define true false

Spoiler

#66 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

The warp scale was changed in the 24th century if i remember correctly, so originally a ship going warp 10, now does warp factor 1.1.

Warp factor 10 corresponds to being everywhere in the known universe.

A warp factor >10 Indicated that it will indicate that a ship is not only being everywhere at the same time, but also across different times so warp factor 11 is 5 hours in the past i think.

This results In a ship being able to respond to a distress signal, before there is an incident.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#67 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

Uhm..... Slipspace people this IS in the Halo Lore section in the thread about slipspace......
  • KhevaKins likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#68 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Uhm..... Slipspace people this IS in the Halo Lore section in the thread about slipspace......

And it's on topic. Right?

To be fair - it's more on topic than a lot of threads are...

• Defender0, MrChipps, Bornstellaris and 1 other like this
#define true false

Spoiler

#69 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

I wonder how "fast" slip space actually is compared to light.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#70 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

I wonder how "fast" slip space actually is compared to light.

Depends on the drive

Human slipspace drives are capable of 2.625 light years per day, which is 958.125 times the speed of light

covenant slipspace drives are capable of 912.12 light years per day, so that would be around 328,000 times the speed of light

Forerunners are an unknown area, as there is no set number for how fast their drives are, but there is a number on the covenant controlled keyship having a speed of 98.8 light years per hour, which is about 876,000 times the speed of light

(http://halo.wikia.co...lipstream_Space)

by comparison, a class 1 hyperdrive from star wars can achieve velocities of approx. 120,000 light years per day which is around 43,000,000 times light speed :P

#71 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Considering it takes a vessel from star trek at warp 9,975 takes over a month to do  40 light years, Even UNSC ships are really quite fast.

I imagine after the war the UNSC could probably average about 500 L/Y a day.

Infinity must be real quick seeing as how it took anywhere from a month to a matter of minute to reach senghelios from the sol system. Which took however long for Covie ships at least months if not years for them to go from senghelios to the front lines.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#72 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

Depends on the drive

Human slipspace drives are capable of 2.625 light years per day, which is 958.125 times the speed of light

covenant slipspace drives are capable of 912.12 light years per day, so that would be around 328,000 times the speed of light

Forerunners are an unknown area, as there is no set number for how fast their drives are, but there is a number on the covenant controlled keyship having a speed of 98.8 light years per hour, which is about 876,000 times the speed of light

(http://halo.wikia.co...lipstream_Space)

by comparison, a class 1 hyperdrive from star wars can achieve velocities of approx. 120,000 light years per day which is around 43,000,000 times light speed :P

To be fair, a Class 1 is a "really really good"™ hyperdrive...
#define true false

Spoiler

#73 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

To be fair, a Class 1 is a "really really good"™ hyperdrive...

there is no exact number, thats based on estimation and info provided on wookiepedia

the slipspace numbers, however, are actual numbers that were calculated from information on that page i linked

#74 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Considering it takes a vessel from star trek at warp 9,975 takes over a month to do  40 light years, Even UNSC ships are really quite fast.

It takes 5 days to travel 40 Light Years at Warp 9.975. I don't know where you're getting that information of a month when ST Voyager tells you 5 days.

Which puts at around 3000*c. The UNSC is going around 1/3 the max speed of the Federation at 958.125*c.

#75 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

I won't take TOS really into account here, since if we're doing TOS then some random outlier especially that one in "That Which Survives" puts me at 766,000*c at Warp 8.4.

#76 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Sorry i meant 132 L/Y not 40.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#77 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Star Trek speeds are highly inconsistent anyways

• Voyager travels 2 L/Y in 2 hours to a distress signal - around 8,800*c
  • Voyager stated to take 3 L/Y in 2 hours at maximum warp - around 13,000*c
  • Enterprise-D TNG "Best of Both Worlds" Assuming 1000 L/Y for the closest "edge" of Federation space taking only 6 days to track a Borg Cube. - Around 61,000*c
  • Warp 9.9 in Voyager which could be achieved given certain conditions is around 21,000-22,000*c

Rather than standards numbering around 1000-5000*c for most ships. Star Trek ships will boosts themselves to speeds when demanded to.

#78 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Starship Troopers is clearly at the top of all lists.

Starship Troopers FTW

This. Are we discussing speeds at which different ships travel or the validity of their lore?

Depends on the drive

The Librarian theorized that her ship, Audacity, could travel instantaneously, using slipspace, to any point in the universe but this would create such a huge build up of 'energy', or something (space-time?), that doing so would effectively disable slipspace.

"Space-time, we've been reliably informed, forms something like a bruise or clot around ships that consistently outrace their own reality. We were certainly in that category. We dared not even attempt to communicate our success-that might have tipped the scales.

For that and other reasons, objectively-within our frame-the journey would take far longer than one might think, considering our jumps could in theory have been instantaneous. We were at the mercy of healing space-time. "
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#79 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

The Librarian theorized that her ship, Audacity, could travel instantaneously, using slipspace, to any point in the universe but this would create such a huge build up of 'energy', or something (space-time?), that doing so would effectively disable slipspace.

Yes, but thats only a theory, not a real number on speed. I looked, and i did not find any kind of number on a regular forerunner slipspace drive's speed.

#80 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

At this speed it would have become a big wibly wobly timey wimy stuff/mess.  :)

• Zero likes this

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users