• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

#81 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I still think a scaled down version of the halo rings "Purge devices" Would be ideal. Could try and incorporate some lore into them, calling them the prototype phase of the halo rings designed to purge a nearby planet of all life. However once they realized the rate of the flood infection was far too great they had to upscale the design for much more.... devastating effects. 

nope. When a picket force of forerunner cruisers can clear a system at the same rate, this kind of thing is too OP,

This is just an exhausted topic. We've considered a lot of possibilities, haven't decided upon one. Sternus is right in the case of the Halos being superweapons, and it's been said that superweapons aren't necessary for SotP because they are designed to break stalemates and it's a top design priority to prevent them in the first place. The most likely candidate seems to me to be the artifact world or whatever it's called in Rebellion, such that capturing a Halo is a victory condition. But who knows? We'll decide when the time comes.

#82 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Then.... how about Halos are just another planet type that gives the player who controls one a special buff or artifact and allows sentinels to be built for defense in the gravity well that it is in?

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#83 con7con

con7con

Authorized Playtester

• Contributor
  • 260 posts
  • Steam:Con7con
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

I dont see why it cannot be used in the Lost Planet scenario with whoever holds the Halo for a certain length of time wins.

• Defender0, Centurian128 and zaun3694 like this
Spoiler

#84 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

I dont see why it cannot be used in the Lost Planet scenario with whoever holds the Halo for a certain length of time wins.

i would be ok with this personally

#85 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

That's what I meant earlier. I always thought it was the best option.

#86 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

TL;DNR

Short Story from the balance Dev. The forerunners will be pants poopingly powerful. Also balanced. How that is done? Like how we balance the UNSC and Cov. MAGIC. Thats all you need to know. Ass tons of magic and sacrifices on a scale that puts the aztecs to shame. So if you would like to know our secret, i will tell you right before Uni sacrifices you to make more MAGIC for me to use to balance stuff. Magic in this case is what comes out UNI after 24 hours having eaten your soul.

• sloosecannon, Centurian128, spartan-G257 and 2 others like this

bDNWw7L.png

#87 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

MAGIC.

specifically, space magic

#88 Antigeist

Antigeist

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

gob-car-danc.gif

• Dianno5741 and zaun3694 like this

#89 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

image_zpsd8a209fe.jpg
  • sloosecannon, Defender0, MrChipps and 2 others like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#90 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Could just make all their infrastructure costs greater than covenant and unsc. meaning they will expand slower and won't be able to ramp up a production line anywhere near as fast unsc or the covenant. But that's just me. 

It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#91 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Defender's got it under control he has got some very good ideas for balance. He has been quietly working on them like the mad scientist in the shadows while we were all focused on the UNSC v Covie stuff. 

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#92 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

like the mad scientist in the shadows 

appropriate simile

#93 spartan-G257

spartan-G257

Gamma Company Recruit

• Contributor
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:58 AM

and i used to help him...

damn it I'm editing my file to allow me to play forerunners again... Defender can you send me the implementations of the forerunners for beta testing (on my own).... strangely I now feel like doing an evil laugh however the evil overlord list says i should not as it distracts me therefore I will not.

UNSC been beating the covies since 2525
Closed Beta Testing HHF
Hail the Commonwealth of Nations and long live the Queen
Posted ImagePosted Image

#94 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

appropriate simile

And I'm the one helping bring his creations to life.
  • sloosecannon and Defender0 like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#95 spartan-G257

spartan-G257

Gamma Company Recruit

• Contributor
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

OK I'm back and i have changed the Player file hip hip horray

Closed Beta Testing HHF
Posted ImagePosted Image

#96 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

And I'm the one helping bring his creations to life.

You provide the vessel, I put the OP into it :P seems like a good combo

and i used to help him...

damn it I'm editing my file to allow me to play forerunners again... Defender can you send me the implementations of the forerunners for beta testing (on my own).... strangely I now feel like doing an evil laugh however the evil overlord list says i should not as it distracts me therefore I will not.

Wouldnt do much good, most of my changes are cosmetic and are uncommitted. I need a basic balance ratio between forerunners and UNSC (covenant would need ~1/3rd as many ships as UNSC to win due to 3:1 ratio) before ALPHA testing can begin. And I have stressed that this is low priority until UNSC vs covenant is releasable.

TL;DR theyre not ready yet

#97 spartan-G257

spartan-G257

Gamma Company Recruit

• Contributor
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

well it doesn't really scale that well between frigates as we know how bad forerunner frigates are damage wise... so how about ever 6 forerunner frigates = 1 UNSC frigate

but cruisers that is where everything goes into full ear for the forerunners and i would say the exact opposite for the frigate ratio possibly even worse with every 6-9 UNSC cruisers to 1 forerunner cruiser.

and then a 6-1 ration with forerunners cap ships compared to the UNSC super-carriers (we all know how overpowered those beasts are (damage wise)

this would all be damage output and health wise not construction costs and construction time therefore this would give the UNSC a chance (although we all know in cannon it is the same overpowered but the ship build rate is also horrible skewed for the forerunners)

this is all an estimated idea of the ratio's i know it would probably not go like this

Closed Beta Testing HHF
Posted ImagePosted Image

#98 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Move that forerunner balancing stuff to the play tester area and as of now we have more pressing things to deal with
  • Defender0 likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#99 Metanator

Metanator

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

Slightly confused as to why the Forerunner frigates are so crap? Shouldn't the 6 Forerunner to 1 UNSC be reversed due to the Forerunners tech advantage?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#100 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

Forerunner frigates are sentinels. While the forerunner capital ships are individually overwhelming, the frigates display technical prowess by being mass produced.
Evidence can be seen that Onyx's surface was made of trillions of sentinels. And also 10 weaker ships will deal much better against the flood than 1 massively powerful one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users