127 replies to this topic

#61 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Ok, they will have strikecraft hangars, im looking into how to make teh covenant starbases more useful but for the most part they will not have stationed defenses due to their fleet being more mobile. Its a work in progress but I dont see the covenant getting direct ship to ship defenses

bDNWw7L.png

#62 Normon

Normon

High Commander of the Fleet of Unholy Fire

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts
  • LocationThe cartographer.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'm not so pleased with the idea of their starbases having no direct anti-ship weapons.

Signature? Quotes? Images? Nonsense! Actually, cool quotes are cool. - Me
Primus successus aut totus error. - EOD

#63 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

I'm not so pleased with the idea of their starbases having no direct anti-ship weapons.

I think he means the planets won't have any direct ship to ship weapons. High Charity definitely has weapons, very big, high powered ones unmatched by even the largest Covenant ships weapons.
"It can be assumed that High Charity had its own set of powerful energy shields and defensive weapons"
"Hidden within the station's founding bedrock were carefully shielded weapons platforms which boasted firepower unrivaled by even the largest Covenant battleships. (Halopedia and  halo.wikia) It is says in the Halo Encyclopedia that High Charity has weapons and since the current starbase is a High Charity miniature it should be a power house like High Charity.

I believe there are plans to use Unyielding Hierophant
and that is a different story. It is mentioned that it hasn't got any defensive weapons but it has REALLY great shields and most likely armor. It is also filled with strike craft and other things. It should be the anchor station but on steroids, churning out ships like no tomorrow and being able to take all that is dished out to it.

Aren't the UNSC getting two starbases? Anchor and Gamma or some such? I believe the covvies should also get two, High Charity Jr. and U
nyielding Hierophant Jr. and both should be appropriately expensive and something that doesn't get built idly, but once it is built its presence is know through out the battle (space?) field.

• Moustachio86 likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#64 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

They found orbital structures above the lekgolo planet. If they didn't have defenses it would be difficult to put them on.
The entire Covenant premise is to emulate forerunner structures, thats like 2/5 of their religion is to do exactly that. That is how they got all their stuff in the first place.

a) "They" (I suppose the early Covenant, Sangheili and San 'Shyuum) found forerunner structures, not Covenant

b ) While it is true that they try to emulate Forerunner Architecture, I still can't remember of a defense platform mentioned in the books other than the Kilo-5 trilogy. They had ground defenses with orbital weapons, but no space station.

c) If we (I mean the dev team) put functional defenses to the Covenant, the game is unbalanced, and if we put crappy defenses it's just a waste of time 'cause nobody will build them. Why would you spend money and time on something as useless as a defense platform when your ships have no equal? Turtle is not something the Covenant is good at, and I'm sure  you know this better than me.

• Defender0 likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#65 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

a) "They" (I suppose the early Covenant, Sangheili and San 'Shyuum) found forerunner structures, not Covenant

b ) While it is true that they try to emulate Forerunner Architecture, I still can't remember of a defense platform mentioned in the books other than the Kilo-5 trilogy. They had ground defenses with orbital weapons, but no space station.

c) If we (I mean the dev team) put functional defenses to the Covenant, the game is unbalanced, and if we put crappy defenses it's just a waste of time 'cause nobody will build them. Why would you spend money and time on something as useless as a defense platform when your ships have no equal? Turtle is not something the Covenant is good at, and I'm sure  you know this better than me.

I'm in favor of uber space-base defense. I am not arguing from a gameplay point of view, more from a lore/canon point of view.

Also from the Sangheili/San 'Shyuum treaty onward they were/are they Covenant. The treaty in question was a covenant, for which the group continues to refer to itself.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#66 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm in favor of uber space-base defense. I am not arguing from a gameplay point of view, more from a lore/canon point of view.

Also from the Sangheili/San 'Shyuum treaty onward they were/are they Covenant. The treaty in question was a covenant, for which the group continues to refer to itself.

I wasn't sure of who did you mean with "they", thus to avoid misunderstanding I put description in between brackets. But I am happy that you agree with me with the space-defense solution.

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#67 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

To everyone who thinks otherwise, it is very safe to say that the covenant need to worry more about their enemy's defenses rather than their own.

• zaun3694 and SternuS like this

#68 ahunter257

ahunter257

Modding Apprentice

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

One might say that the Covenant fleet might get SMACked across the face when invading.... *bu dum tiss*
  • Emberblaque, sloosecannon, Defender0 and 6 others like this

#69 Deathscythe1992

Deathscythe1992

Death is the will of the universe, Scythe is Deaths instrument

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOhio, US

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Yeah I plan to just load up my frontier planets with like 14 or so SMACs and just turtle.  

• David0425 likes this

#70 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Yeah I plan to just load up my frontier planets with like 14 or so SMACs and just turtle.  

Turtling is a bad idea in our mod.

• Defender0 likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#71 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

Turtling is a bad idea in our mod.

He is extremely correct about this. Of course it is important to secure you planets, but if you spend your time turtling, then you'll end up losing in the end. UNSC players have to be more aggressive and think wisely about what ships they put into their fleets. There are fleet buffs specific to certain ships, and diversity is key at getting the maximum effect from these. Turtling and making no progess is not the way to go, there is far to much strategy involved in this game.

• Dianno5741 likes this
Don't read this signature.

#72 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

He is extremely correct about this. Of course it is important to secure you planets, but if you spend your time turtling, then you'll end up losing in the end. UNSC players have to be more aggressive and think wisely about what ships they put into their fleets. There are fleet buffs specific to certain ships, and diversity is key at getting the maximum effect from these. Turtling and making no progess is not the way to go, there is far to much strategy involved in this game.

There is a reason the Covenant made it to Earth in the canon. UNSC turtled pretty hard.

• zaun3694 likes this

#73 Deathscythe1992

Deathscythe1992

Death is the will of the universe, Scythe is Deaths instrument

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOhio, US

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

There is a reason the Covenant made it to Earth in the canon. UNSC turtled pretty hard.

hahaha you have a point.

#74 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I think people are getting confused by the Covenant here. Just because canon don't explicitly mention defense platforms doesn't mean they rely solely on Defensive Fleets and Orbital hangars. I'm not saying that we should go gung-ho with defenses by any means, but I think it would be mistake (and a disservice to the faction) to not include some smaller defensive stations.

yLM4TEk.png

#75 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Did it?

Spoiler

It seems they had quite a big space to defend.

#76 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Did it?

Spoiler

It seems they had quite a big space to defend.

Except for the part where that image isn't canon. Not everything you find on the internet that looks sharp is factual.

#77 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Except for the part where that image isn't canon. Not everything you find on the internet that looks sharp is factual.

You are also right, I thought that too while looking at this image

Spoiler

Anyway they were scattered.

#78 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

You are also right, I thought that too while looking at this image

Spoiler

Anyway they were scattered.

They were scattered, but the UNSC also played a very defensive role. You cannot win a war on the defense.

#79 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Did they even know where any Covenant planets were?

yLM4TEk.png

#80 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

They were scattered, but the UNSC also played a very defensive role. You cannot win a war on the defense.

I don't think they played a defensive role, I think they played the only role they could play in that war, they just tried to save as many planets as possible. You can't attack someone that with half of your forces annihilates your entire fleet. Cole tried many times to go on the offensive, but he failed. He managed to take back Harvest, but it was a pyrrhic victory.

Did they even know where any Covenant planets were?

No, they didn't. Infact in "The Fall of Reach" UNSC's plan was to capture an enemy ship, go to the "Covenant homeworld" which didn't even exist, kidnap their leader to force a peace treaty. This, by the way, is another proof that they always tried to make the first move.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users